MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for a small Groovebox
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Looking for a small Groovebox
ETP
Hi

I want to build a Little Techno Setup.
It´s a Long time since I worked with a groovebox.
The old one is a RM1X and it´s huge and the Buttons have to be replaced, but very nice to programm automation.

I thought to buy an Electribe.
Is it good to programm MIDI CC to external Synthies? Pattern switching on the fly and so on. You know smile

Want to keep the setup pretty small

Thank you.
Cheers

Guinness ftw!
rozzbud
Digitone
anselmi
I managed to build a great techno live set with the Digitakt + a Faderfox UC-4 controller. You can cover a lot of territory with this

The upcoming Digitone could be a great partner or even a standalone unit, but this approach is way more risky because of the 4 parts

About electribes, I don´t like the new series at all...the way the modulation optios are listed and the lack of dedicated part buttons makes the operation cumbersome

My all-time favorite electribe is the EMX-1, that is great for any dancefloor genre. Drums hits hard in a club PA, just change the stock tubes and you´re ready to make people dance. It has a brief history of synthesis in the oscillator section, with classic waves, supersaw, FM, additive, ring, sync, AM, rompler, noise, formants, comb filtering, chord oscillators and then a good multimode filter with drive. Operation is flawlessly and has lot of memory locations for patterns.
Also the ribbon is a great performance tool to enhace the lack of more modern features like in the elektron sequencers.
8-bar patterns is something unusual in grooveboxes so this is another good point if you need this feature

The ESX-1 is the same but with a sampling engine instead of the synth oscillators of the EMX-1...Also, it has some interesting sample playback options like stretch and slice
Pase
Digitakt seems great for that purpose.
I will also suggest the Leploop analog groovebox.
pmarchitect
+1 Digitakt and -1 on the new Electribes.
ETP
Thank you guys

The Digitakt pings my GAS. hihi

I always thought about the elsctribe esx.
Have to take a look again. Maybee it's the right one

Thanks thumbs up
thisoldmike
I've owned Electribes (old and new), Novation Circuit, hybrid hardware/software things like NI Maschine, and the Digitakt. I'd rank them like this (and why):
    1: Digitakt - Fun and relatively easy to use. Fairly powerful sequencer, 8 audio and 8 MIDI tracks, easy to use sampling capabilities. Drawbacks - a tad buggy and no Overbridge (yet). Still, the best of the lot IMHO.
    2: Circuit - Lots of fun to play with, but lacking in MIDI flexibility. Also, both the control scheme and having to use a browser to upload samples was a little cumbersome.
    3: Electribe EMX-1 - Like Circuit, a fun machine to play with and some great sounds, but a bit dated for my liking. Also, the workflow felt awkward to me (personal preference - I feel this way about most Korgs).
    4: Maschine - Easy to build nice grooves, tons of power, much fun to be had. Deal killer (for me) - has to be attached to a PC and can't run standalone.
    5: Electribe 2 - Disappointing all around. Sounds were lacking (IMHO), workflow wasn't bad but wasn't great, effects were not bad but limited, and overall it just felt lifeless and uninspiring.
I like to use a groovebox for sequencing duties as well, so MIDI is important to me and that carries some weight in my rankings - but it may not be as important for you. Still, for something that has a decent amount of power and flexibility and is capable of quickly putting together cool grooves, I think it's hard to beat a Digitakt.
ETP
Thanks a lot.

Well MIDI is important. Want to add a synth and a drum synth with a good controll of CC from the groovebox.
Programming and editing is important too.
I like the editing options I have on RM1X.
Adding MIDI delay fx or change dynamics for example.
Also it is possible to edit MIDI data directly...
ludotex
Depends how much you want to spend in it, but a used octatrack mk1 would be fun too.
rean1mator
+1 on this.
And if you want to know what a master of this instrument can do check out this youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtM6YWUzP0fMcbVaZvXIjiQ

Some great techno this guy cranks out on just the emx

anselmi wrote:
I managed to build a great techno live set with the Digitakt + a Faderfox UC-4 controller. You can cover a lot of territory with this

The upcoming Digitone could be a great partner or even a standalone unit, but this approach is way more risky because of the 4 parts

About electribes, I don´t like the new series at all...the way the modulation optios are listed and the lack of dedicated part buttons makes the operation cumbersome

My all-time favorite electribe is the EMX-1, that is great for any dancefloor genre. Drums hits hard in a club PA, just change the stock tubes and you´re ready to make people dance. It has a brief history of synthesis in the oscillator section, with classic waves, supersaw, FM, additive, ring, sync, AM, rompler, noise, formants, comb filtering, chord oscillators and then a good multimode filter with drive. Operation is flawlessly and has lot of memory locations for patterns.
Also the ribbon is a great performance tool to enhace the lack of more modern features like in the elektron sequencers.
8-bar patterns is something unusual in grooveboxes so this is another good point if you need this feature

The ESX-1 is the same but with a sampling engine instead of the synth oscillators of the EMX-1...Also, it has some interesting sample playback options like stretch and slice
mihata
While I haven't tried it, I can understand why the Digitakt is considered as everyone's fav recently. Don't get fooled though by the hate the latest Electribes get. The Electribe 2 is a very capable machine and feature-wise is still unbeatable in its price range (and even by the DT in terms of filter types, number / types of fx, polyphony, battery powered, audio-in that goes through the filters) and while having its shortcomings the very overcoming of those "flaws" is a very rewarding experience IMO. There are A LOT of tricks to be discovered with it and again - this rewarding feeling that you achieve something on a machine everyone loves to hate:) Most annoying thing is the step editing which is done in the menu, but If you just play-in your notes via the pads is just fine. Check out this album by Mistabishi (yes, he apparently proved himself as a racist asshole in recent times)
done entirely on the E2S and come to realise that it's never the box but the person behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6UEZmjUCRg&list=PL3CTtHF8_LsVwyek9d3n RTghM38bBG5sI
flabby
ETP wrote:
Hi

Guinness ftw!

I can't really add anything to the suggestions already made. But can I ask what synths you're going to use it with? I ask because I always find small setups interesting.
pmarchitect
thisoldmike wrote:
I've owned Electribes (old and new), Novation Circuit, hybrid hardware/software things like NI Maschine, and the Digitakt. I'd rank them like this (and why):
    1: Digitakt - Fun and relatively easy to use. Fairly powerful sequencer, 8 audio and 8 MIDI tracks, easy to use sampling capabilities. Drawbacks - a tad buggy and no Overbridge (yet). Still, the best of the lot IMHO.
    2: Circuit - Lots of fun to play with, but lacking in MIDI flexibility. Also, both the control scheme and having to use a browser to upload samples was a little cumbersome.
    3: Electribe EMX-1 - Like Circuit, a fun machine to play with and some great sounds, but a bit dated for my liking. Also, the workflow felt awkward to me (personal preference - I feel this way about most Korgs).
    4: Maschine - Easy to build nice grooves, tons of power, much fun to be had. Deal killer (for me) - has to be attached to a PC and can't run standalone.
    5: Electribe 2 - Disappointing all around. Sounds were lacking (IMHO), workflow wasn't bad but wasn't great, effects were not bad but limited, and overall it just felt lifeless and uninspiring.
I like to use a groovebox for sequencing duties as well, so MIDI is important to me and that carries some weight in my rankings - but it may not be as important for you. Still, for something that has a decent amount of power and flexibility and is capable of quickly putting together cool grooves, I think it's hard to beat a Digitakt.

I agree with all the above, apart from Maschine - it doesn’t bother me that it needs a computer, however I only use it in my ‘studio’. However, when you have Komplete and loads of Maschine expansions etc, it’s absolutely overwhelming, the amount of choice you have. I must have like 30,000 kick drum samples on there.

With the digitakt I load up a bunch of kits / samples I like and just go with that. It’s bliss. I hope they fix thr midi bugs, and a simple song mode (even if it’s just saving thr pattern link states when turned off and on), would add to its usefulness. But I’m of the same opinion that’s its the best. Pair with a multitimbral synth and some decent fx and you’re away.
ETP
flabby wrote:
ETP wrote:
Hi

Guinness ftw!

I can't really add anything to the suggestions already made. But can I ask what synths you're going to use it with? I ask because I always find small Details interesting.

It's Nord Drum 1 and MFB Nanozwerg.

But I think I will add the Blodeld as I had microQ for years.

Maschine is out of question. Don't want a laptop in the set.

I guess I have a crush on Digitakt. Damn love
roger
I found the Digitak to be really annoying because of the clacky buttons, as Stimming mentioned in his review. Otherwise it is probably the most flexible box out of mentioned if you don't mind the 4-Note limit per channel.

A box that would be a bit bigger, but also more powerful in many terms would be the MPC Live. Battery powered, too.

The older Electribes as ESX are too big anyways if you want to get away from the RM1x formfactor.
ETP
Whatever

I will order now the Digitakt.

Thank you people love
mor4sso
ludotex wrote:
Depends how much you want to spend in it, but a used octatrack mk1 would be fun too.

second this. would take a octatrack mk1 over a digitakt
HighLordFixer

Eye have RM1X and it collects dust in the corner....
with 2 old mc303s hidden around here....
yet actually like using the oddball Roland mc307...
have couple of them running MIDI sync...
fun fast easy for me making tracks with when doing specific styles....
plus it midi syncs with my other Roland gear...
they are getting pretty hard to find anymore....
not sure about any other grooveboxes...
because stopped looking after using MC307...
MC307 plays happily with my other gear & multiple midi to CV units!
Best of luck on your groovebox quest.
boxer
I also use an Analog four/Analog rytm with a small foldable stand I built. So much power, it's two units but takes up barely more room than my 'tribe when folded inhalf for travel. http://equipboard.com/boxer/photos
Nelson Baboon
i always read these threads and try to guess which people post recommendations about gear they haven't used....

One box that hasn't been mentioned at all is the Deluge.I bit higher priced than most of the mentions here, but lots of fun, with new features being added frequently.
Cutoff Phreaks
What's the budget?
ETP
Thank you all. Allready bought the Digitakt love
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1