MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Jam with Buchla + BugBrand for drums. 288v. 259r timbre.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Jam with Buchla + BugBrand for drums. 288v. 259r timbre.
batchas
I know I know... I said more Serge and I post some Buchla videos. Could not resist!

If in a hurry, you can jump to the last video at the bottom.

If interested, here some more details.
I profit that my internet connection is "normal" in the morning to post all this.
2 days I installed the Buchla system back in the studio and jammed with it, making use of the preset manager which I tended to neglect.
I posted on youtube the different moods of the 2 sessions I recorded, starting with experimenting with the 288v alone. Actually I wanted to make a demo, but it turned out to be way to much time-consuming to make it decent (only camera mic here), so I did not publish the different parts.
Nevertheless, I started this recording to show how useful the 288v envelope follower can be (like every env. follower actually).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf7PUy0eQhU

You can simply ignore my comments, which as I didn't place the camera like I should have anyway.
I'm showing the differences delay settings on ouput A, B, C or D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M49YsedBujo

Then adding the 259r, then my Radio Music modules on the BugBrand system and so on.
I started with the 259r cause as you might know I'm not a big fan of the sound of the timbre. I know... Might be the only person on earth, but TBH there are many sounds my ears are not really happy with, though it does not mean I give up on this. So I simply set it to open and close the timbre, not using a vca or lpg to sequence it. And my ears were actually happy.
Noisy 288v.. I know. But it gives a certain character...

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Kz4a4Xmqg

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAv_KY6mH3U

I recorded first time since eons on multitrack again, but the drum track was missing. Though some passages are interesting with the supperposition of sequences (and a FM sound on the 258v which I really liked):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGO9JjMvvBc

So the next day I tried again, but I had changed already many parameters. Does not really matter, it's as usual just for fun.

I use the 243v here to switch events by hand. The rest is automated:
Line 1: preset manager bwd
Line 2: preset manager fwd (I switch only between 4 presets. If I have more time I'll extend this patch and fine tune some settings).
Line 3: 4/4 gate into 259r timbre cv in (open/close).
Line 4: switch between outputs from 248r. 16 steps or 5 steps.
Line 5: switch between 2 outputs from pendulum/ratchet (fast or divided by 2) to clock a few events like drums for instance.

This kind of patch deserves more than 2 hours sessions, which definitely brakes my rules of 30 mins max hehe.
But I have in mind something a bit different which I'd like first to try with, before I unpatch everything. High fun potential... Just takes a bit more time to set. I'll see...

Recording started like this. You see me "cursing", but I'm not sure it's not in fact my error (though sometimes touching a cable would indeed make the preset manager jump). I might have left the switch on up position (preset go to "last"), instead of pushing it down back right after activating. I'm not sure. It was the first try:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZyWKCCM7fg

I did not stopped the camera and Logic and only had to cut the good part after that first "error".
So here we go

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm7MEeCRA8Y
batchas
I'm aware it's not optimal to have long posts like this. And also I said in a previous post "talk less" hem...

But you can also skip all the info.
eldancer
nice mood ! SlayerBadger!
batchas
Merci eldancer. Content que ├ža te plaise w00t
Precarious
Great post! I really enjoy all the info and different takes as it builds. Also learned about a few modules I was unaware of. The progression somehow reminds me of old Wall of Voodoo which I like a lot.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
batchas
Thank you Precarious for your comment.
Helps me believe it's worth posting/writing ans sharing my passion for synthesizers here thumbs up
Precarious
batchas wrote:
Thank you Precarious for your comment.
Helps me believe it's worth posting/writing ans sharing my passion for synthesizers here thumbs up

Never doubt it. There will always be someone to appreciate your efforts. thumbs up
tIB
Can you expand on the envelope follower aspect on the 288v? I always had it pegged WA a comparator but perhaps I'm missing something?
batchas
tIB wrote:
I always had it pegged WA a comparator but perhaps I'm missing something?

Sorry tIB what do you mean by "pegged WA" exactly?
tIB
Sorry predictive text fail combined with English slang! I thought it was a comparator rather than an envelope follower?
batchas
tIB wrote:
I thought it was a comparator rather than an envelope follower?

Because you see only the gate on the top of the envelope I guess, but it's indeed an env. follower.
batchas
And it's totally independent from the volume control pot of A.
Changing A volume pot will not affect the env. follower I mean (nor the setting of the env. follower sensibility pot).
batchas
Shit! I edited the all comment d'oh!
batchas
Here again what I wrote 2 posts ago (my apologies):

The envelope follower only reacts for the A input. It takes this single A signal and depending of its loudness contour it sends a pulse out (LED ON). Like this you can automate an event depending if/how the ARM PULSE IN is engaged.
With its pot you set its sensibility.
tIB
I think we are using different terms to describe the same thing? I don't see where I can take the output of that envelope follower (ie continuous CV), only the trigger relating to the pulse out - I make this a comparator where the sense out sets the threshold for the pulse to trigger.

I'm not trying to split hairs here btw, just checking in not missing a nice easter egg function on my 288v!
batchas
tIB wrote:
I'm not trying to split hairs here btw, just checking in not missing a nice easter egg function on my 288v!

It was a logical question as it's only the gate out like a comparator thumbs up
Indeed no CV out, no.

I guess by checking the circuit we could find it though, but they might have decided it made no sense in this configuration.
Does not mean it would not be interesting to have a CV out to influence directly the delay for instance (or have a "full" env follower in the setup thanks to the 288v)... but no... trying right now to convince myself... I'm not gonna check behind the panel of my 288v... I already spent hours a few years back to get it to work like it does now. And it's still way too sensible. Even by plugging a cable, touching the panel or turning a pot, it sometimes makes it really unstable (harsch-noise, short loop etc). As if a part of circuit was suddenly omitted and it would jump to another part (more likely some physical micro-breaks in the pcb actually).

EDIT: deleted what I wrote while I was thinking out loud.
batchas
Oh man... I wanted to show you something and now the env follower is dead :(

Looks like I'll have to look behind the panel very frustrating

Not my day today.
tIB
Oh no! Hoping whatever glitch it was is now sorted - it is indeed a sensitive soul! Wonder what the range of control is like when in pitch mode? (over the pitch frequency)
batchas
tIB wrote:
Oh no! Hoping whatever glitch it was is now sorted

I'll look at it during one of my good days hihi.

tIB wrote:
Wonder what the range of control is like when in pitch mode? (over the pitch frequency)

Oh I don't know, I am sorry.

But this pitch function is IMO pretty weird, cause the delay is then controlled by an LFO (sawtooth, up and down) and get even more weird when the env follower is shooting a gate on/off, as it is resetting this LFO.

Mark once recommended me to leave the time at x1 when in pitch mode, cause in x2 mode it's too weird (cracks, shouts, loud). Indeed it helped.

On mine this mode is buggy. I got it to work once after troubleshooting, resoldering etc, but now the module is very sensible again. And since then I moved, might be the cause... Not so good, no matter how well protected. When I first got it from USA, it was also totally buggy. I was trying to make demos and gave up cause I was explaining something and a second later it was doing something else than what it should do, without changing any setting haha!
Then I spent a lot of hours on it to troubleshoot and get it to work well. Also helped to understand it better.
I would invest again if I was using the Buchla more often, but it's really time intensive.
tIB
Mine has been pretty solid but for the odd few quirks - needs resetting on startup as the noise interferes with other modules sometimes! Other than that it behaves, albeit in a noisy way, as expected aside from the pitch mode which I was hoping to be able to get a wider range than I have. It's fine Hough - it is what it is! I have times when it drives me mad because of the noise present (and therefore the need to tie up a channel on the 292e to curb it), and then something magical happens!
batchas
tIB wrote:
needs resetting on startup as the noise interferes with other modules sometimes!

Oh ja.
You should have see me when I powered on the system a couple of days ago after not playing it for months.
My reverb module-module was having this huge hum/noise, no matter what I was doing.
Troubleshooting during 12 mins untill I remembered that the 288v was of course looping on start. It was not wired or anything, so I was definitely not thinking about it.
It just needed to be resetted and then the reverb was fine haha.
tIB
I've been there many a time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1