MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

perfourmer or abyss
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author perfourmer or abyss
rauch
i have a tough time deciding between those two bad boys. both have this warm, organic, raw, vintage tone i'm looking for. leaning more to the perfourmer as it seems to be the more complete "poly"synth featurewise.

does anyone here have both of them?

any helpfull insights, pros and cons are welcome
Nelson Baboon
Well, I'll chime in with something that is quite short of advice...just general comments.

I owned a perfourmer several years ago, and have an abyss now - I haven't spent too many hours with the latter yet, and my opinions may evolve.

The perfourmer is a very nice sounding synth, that I ultimately sold because I didn't think that it sounded 'as good' as the modular that I was using at the time (I remember the thought more than the details). I mean, it's fun, mostly along traditional modular/semi-modular lines, and is pretty flexible, as I recall.

The abyss is not nearly as flexible. it's kind of a weird mix of midi and cv control - no cv/gate control of notes, for instance. Only midi works for that. It has fx, while the perfourmer doesn't. The fx are not traditional sounding, really, but are designed very well to fit in with the sonic concept of the machine. And they can be modulated with cv.

Id say that for stranger music, the abyss is cooler. My opinion based on limited use, is very positive at this point. You can get the fx to play by themselves without any oscillator sound at all, and modulate them that way. A very atmospheric machine, and I really love its form factor.

Very easy to praise one's current choice, over something that one sold a few years ago for reasons that are somewhat vague in one's head. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.
donato
I have both. Get both. They are what they appear to be. Abyss sounds more vintage but both have what I consider superb tone.
rauch
donato wrote:
I have both. Get both. They are what they appear to be. Abyss sounds more vintage but both have what I consider superb tone.

knew that was coming hihi yeah i'll probanly get both eventually but budget is limited right now.

on the p4m you have to set all 4 voices for poly action if i understand correctly. thats a little annoying, but i don't really mind cause i can dial in some inconsistency between the voices which is cool. aside from that, which one works better as a traditional poly?
Liddlepud
Abyss is simpler to use in poly mode as it's 4 identical voices but it's far less flexible than the Perfourmer as a synth. The effects also make a really big difference and the Abyss can sound like a really dark fucked up physcadelic stringer. You'd probably be able to achieve this using the Perfourmer and some pedals (overdrive, phaser, delay) but TBH I tend not to use the Perfourmer in poly mode as it takes longer to set up but it's the closest I've got the cross mod on my Mono-Poly so it tends to get used for those types of sounds. The Perfourmer also sounds lovely in mono mode with all the voices panned differently.
rauch
after some research and demo listening i think i'll go with the abyss first. sounds awesome. one thing that bothers me a little is the missing filter tracking though.

is there anything else on the market right now that i'm missing? a modern poly synth with that vintage sound? can't think of anything but the ob6, but it doesn't sound particular vintage to me and one lfo is not enough considering the steep price. waiting for the behringer ob instead hihi
Blairio
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Well, I'll chime in with something that is quite short of advice...just general comments.

I owned a perfourmer several years ago, and have an abyss now - I haven't spent too many hours with the latter yet, and my opinions may evolve.

Very easy to praise one's current choice, over something that one sold a few years ago for reasons that are somewhat vague in one's head. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Psychologists call it Confirmation Bias, we tend to approve and endorse our immediate choices.

A friend of mine bought an Abyss, and loved it, but for the fact its key scaling was 'abys'mal (groan). Seriously though, notes between octaves were out enough for chords to sound odd. He contacted Dreadbox and was told that's just the way they were (no user calibration option), so he sold it.

I really fancy one, but scaling issues drive me nuts. Has anyone else noticed any scaling glitches in their Abyss?
Dave Mech
It's paraphonic, not polyphonic, but the Dominion 1 by MFB has an incredible vintage and raw sound. You can play it paraphonicly. Might not be exactly what you're searching for, but it has so many great features (incuding tracking of filter and lfo's, 1 analog and 2 digital RM, FM, filter FM, 3 OSC).

By the way, I thought the Abyss was arguably paraphonic ? Since the signal goes through 1 filter.
Blairio
idm wrote:
It's paraphonic, not polyphonic, but the Dominion 1 by MFB has an incredible vintage and raw sound. You can play it paraphonicly. Might not be exactly what you're searching for, but it has so many great features (incuding tracking of filter and lfo's, 1 analog and 2 digital RM, FM, filter FM, 3 OSC).

By the way, I thought the Abyss was arguably paraphonic ? Since the signal goes through 1 filter.

This is from the Abyss soec sheet

4 playing modes :
– Unison
– Polyphony
– Chords (+ user chords)
– Multi channel (multitimbral over selected controls)
rauch
idm wrote:

the abyss has actually a filter per voice.

yeah already have the dom1 and it's glorious thumbs up
but i don't use the paraphonic feature much. i don't like the fact that all 3 voices are playing although only 1 or 2 keys are pressed. feels kind of weird.
Liddlepud
Blairio wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Psychologists call it Confirmation Bias, we tend to approve and endorse our immediate choices.

A friend of mine bought an Abyss, and loved it, but for the fact its key scaling was 'abys'mal (groan). Seriously though, notes between octaves were out enough for chords to sound odd. He contacted Dreadbox and was told that's just the way they were (no user calibration option), so he sold it.

I really fancy one, but scaling issues drive me nuts. Has anyone else noticed any scaling glitches in their Abyss?

There is a dip switch on the back which puts it into auto tuning mode. The scaling/tuning does got out occassionaly and I've had to go through the calibration procedure about 3 or 4 times since I got it last year.
BenJBX
I really fancy getting a perfourmer. It's the one non-eurorack new synth I still lust after.

What's the build quality of the abyss like? The dreadbox euro modules i've looked at have seemed a bit flimsy on casual inspection.
chvad
I wouldn't describe the dreadbox abyss as flimsy at all. i mean... it has sliders... and sliders are always to a degree more prone to being damaged than a bolt on knob but ive never had nor do i expect to have any issues with the build. all the knobs are rock solid and the case is all metal.

ive had to autotune my abyss a couple times in the past year but it's always been perfectly fine for chords and such. i think it's a great character synth.
anselmi
chords = abyss

4/2 mono sequences = perfourmer

abyss is a bit more "organic"
perfourmer got some really nice inter-part modulations that brings arpeggios alive when voices rotate

I miss a bit my perfourmer, but for chords and immediate gratification the abyss is ace
misterbunty
I've had the abyss for a little under a month, now.

It was kind of an impulse buy. as I have a few polys under the hood (andromeda, Trident, sq-80).

That said, I was pleasantly surprised with the very warm, drifty tone that it exuded and I've been playing with it non-stop. Very inspiring. The Abyss can do many of the bread and butter pads and stabs we've come to expect, but also excels- like others have said- at dark, strange, swirling soundscapes. Lots of "haunt" under the trunk.

The architecture is simple, however- if you approach it as such- it's a simple synth with some well-thought out bonuses that really add to the sound. There's just enough "bonus material" to make it easy to dial up a patch while still never falling into the realm of dull.

I have had to re-tune my twice, now, but that's a small price to pay for the gorgeous oscillators.
Cat-A-Tonic
A few years back a roommate/bandmate had a Per4mer mk1.

I remember not being very impressed by the individual voices used in mono and thinking it sounded kinda fruity for lack of a better adjective.

That said, the round robin voice assignment
with each voice set differently
sounded AWESOME.
arschdrift
I bought both.

My little demo:

https://youtu.be/KKiBzIenrww
capcap
rauch wrote:
after some research and demo listening i think i'll go with the abyss first. sounds awesome. one thing that bothers me a little is the missing filter tracking though.

is there anything else on the market right now that i'm missing? a modern poly synth with that vintage sound? can't think of anything but the ob6, but it doesn't sound particular vintage to me and one lfo is not enough considering the steep price. waiting for the behringer ob instead hihi

Never tried the Vermona, but I can share my view on the Abyss, which I've had for some time, and it's an amazing sounding synth. The effects play a big role and feel like they are just as important for sculpting the sound as any other parameter.

You can really get some other-worldly sounds out of it, and it really feels alive like few other modern polys. I will say this, that mine needs calibrating once in a while, and more often than I would have thought. Part of the charm I guess.
It's no big deal for me personally, but I wouldn't dare use it in a live situation, so mine stays in the studio. In a perfect world it would have been stereo too, but I guess stereo fx signal path would have added to the cost.

Since you mention the OB-6, which of course comes with a higher price tag, I just have to say that that one is absolutely fantastic too, and I cannot recommend that enough. The x-mod section more than makes up for it only having one LFO. That's where it really shines actually, when you use osc 2 for modulation, since then you get an analog lfo/fm per voice. I feel like it's very hard to make the OB sound bad.. And it's funny, because I would consider that more 'vintage' sounding than the Abyss actually, but those things are of course highly subjective. I own a Prophet 12, Rev2, and OB-6, and the OB kind of outshines the other two, I gotta admit.

Anyways, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Abyss, it's a great and highly unique-sounding piece of gear.
rauch
arschdrift wrote:
I bought both.

My little demo:

applause
rauch
so i got the abyss and i‘m quite happy with it. wonderful organic sound as expected. i noticed some tuning issues (also after autotuning). haven‘t figured out yet where it‘s coming from, but sometimes it goes away after moving some sliders like sub, glide or detune.

but sadly i have to take it back cry
the modwheel selector got loose because the shaft is already worn out

edit: the tuning issue seems to be coming from small amounts of glide. is this normal behaviour? could someone check this out for me please?
donato
arschdrift wrote:
My little demo:

Beautiful
rauch
rauch wrote:
edit: the tuning issue seems to be coming from small amounts of glide. is this normal behaviour? could someone check this out for me please?

bump
capcap
rauch wrote:
rauch wrote:

bump

Mine has the occasional issue even with glide at zero. Sometimes still after tuning procedure. But again, it's not a dealbreaker for me personally.
rauch
while i'm waiting for my abyss to come back, i'm looking more into the perfourmer. as i understand there's no way to route lfo pitch to the mod wheel for a vibrato? not a dealbreaker for me. just wondering if there's a workaround over cv or midi?
Panason
You can almost certainly find a workaround with MIDI using Live or Bitwig. The Perfourmer mk2 is certainly an awesome synth.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2