MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Moon 543 CP Output Mixer Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author New Moon 543 CP Output Mixer Module
robotmakers
The new Moon 543 CP output mixer arrived recently, its combination of functions proving extremely useful and interesting. The four channels of mixing are set up for stereo output, with pan and volume of each channel both manually and voltage controllable. Headphone output and an A440 tuning reference are also provided. Perfect for inclusion in portable or[/img] self contained instruments.

Cheers,
Roger

JohnLRice
love thumbs up
EPTC
Love that strict mute switch. Nice layout!
MrNezumi
Nice, Robotmakers! I can't wait to hear it used in a new tune by you. Well, OK, I'd listen to one of your new tunes w/o this module too - cuz I really like your tunes. SlayerBadger!
hsosdrum
I could use one of those. Too bad it's not also available in a full-MU height version.
JohnLRice
hsosdrum wrote:
I could use one of those. Too bad it's not also available in a full-MU height version.
You should write to Gert and suggest it? thumbs up I have a couple times before.
EPTC
You know what'd be a nice panel accessory, a simple attachable plate to extend a CP-sized module into a full size.

Couldn't that be done, sold in increments of one-space and wider? Just bracket over the screw hole of the top (and behind, to make a grip) of the CP-sized module?
JohnLRice
EPTC wrote:
You know what'd be a nice panel accessory, a simple attachable plate to extend a CP-sized module into a full size.

Couldn't that be done, sold in increments of one-space and wider? Just bracket over the screw hole of the top (and behind, to make a grip) of the CP-sized module?
It would probably work but designs would need to be tested to make sure there wasn't any flexing at the join point.

A simple plate done in Front Panel Express might work? This is a side view (proportions aren't necessarily correct), with the front top edge milled out so that the module sits flush and the back of the bottom edge milled out so it sits against the bottom rail correctly. Single MU adapters might not be stable enough? (although there aren't too many 1 MU CP panels to worry about . . .yet) I suppose a 1 MU and 2 MU would be all that is needed for any width CP panels and maybe it wouldn't hurt to have versions with mults in the empty space?

And . . .then there is the difference in size and mounting holes between different manufacturer's CP panels that throws a wrench into this . . . . Dead Banana
blt
Couldn't there just be a full height alternate panel? Throw some mults or attenuators up top, no pcb redesign or extend-a-cp bracket needed. John, I'm holding you personally responsible to make Gert do this. This is my ideal MU output module, but I refused to be cut off at the knees via cp.
ranix
I like the CP height panels, it is nice to be able to have a wide panel that is short in my rack. Two of my favorite and most used modules are the Moon 525m and 544

I've been thinking about DIYing a 6u 5u case (lol) to house 4 CP modules but that will need to wait for the next expansion
JohnLRice
blt wrote:
Couldn't there just be a full height alternate panel? Throw some mults or attenuators up top, no pcb redesign or extend-a-cp bracket needed. John, I'm holding you personally responsible to make Gert do this. This is my ideal MU output module, but I refused to be cut off at the knees via cp.
Yeah, a full height MU replacement panel would be a more solid option. thumbs up

Don't hold your breath on a full height module though, I suggested it 3 years ago when the 543CP first appeared in the catalog! seriously, i just don't get it I occasionally suggest modifications and new designs to Gert, sometimes he even likes them and makes the modules w00t but . . .more often then not he doesn't! hihi oops
Sugarfree
If Gert ever decides to make a full height version, this would easily fit in a 3U panel.

A CP row would actually make sense in the middle of a cabinet. 1 or 2 above the bottom row -- a utility/mixing space.
EPTC
JohnLRice wrote:

And . . .then there is the difference in size and mounting holes between different manufacturer's CP panels that throws a wrench into this . . . . Dead Banana

My golly, I love it!

Though to your second point, re: mounting holes, I'd disagree. I think a long horizontally wide open slot (instead of screw hole) could accommodate for this. And a simple lock nut on the other side could hold it in place so the screw wouldn't need to fit precisely.

Great point about getting these created one at a time through a vendor.
JohnLRice
EPTC wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

My golly, I love it!

Though to your second point, re: mounting holes, I'd disagree. I think a long horizontally wide open slot (instead of screw hole) could accommodate for this. And a simple lock nut on the other side could hold it in place so the screw wouldn't need to fit precisely.
Thanks! But the problem isn't horizontal spacing differences, it's verical. COTK made their CP panels a little taller then everyone else! d'oh! Take a read through this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120103

I can sort of see how this happened since I believe COTK were the first company to revive the CP format and maybe weren't concerned with people putting them in Moog cabinets and since COTK was the only company at the time making cabinets with CP rows . . . . Then when other companies decided to make CP modules they followed Moog specs and everyone was happy until one day someone tried to put a Moon CP panel in a COTK case and confusion/sadness ensued! eek! seriously, i just don't get it MY ASS IS BLEEDING waah

It's especially troubling since COTK has the biggest variety of interesting CP format modules.
hsosdrum
JohnLRice wrote:
hsosdrum wrote:
You should write to Gert and suggest it? thumbs up I have a couple times before.

Thanks for the suggestion, John, but I'll be needing an output module around the end of February — WAAAAAY before Gert could create one. So it looks like I'll be re-purposing my Dotcom Q113 8-ch mixer for output duties: Channels 1 – 4 will send/receive voices to/from the reverb module, and Channels 5 – 8 will receive the dry voices(s). Since the Q113 features a Channel 1 – 8 combined output I won't have to use another module to create a mono output, and if I want stereo I can use the channel 1 – 4 and channel 5 – 8 outputs separately. It'll be 2U of fun and games!
hsosdrum
I just re-read my post and realize that a Q113 can't send and receive from/to the same bank of 4 channels (feedback loop, anyone?). However, two Q114s will work, since I can configure each as one 3-channel mixer (for send) plus a single channel to receive and act as a master volume, since connecting to the #3 output separates channels 1 – 3 from channel 4. Looks like more $$ for Roger!

Edit: OK, I'm an idiot. I can indeed use the Q113 for output duties: Ch. 1 – 3 = voices sent to reverb via Ch. 1 – 4 output jack; Ch. 5 signal received from reverb; Ch. 6 & 7 = dry voices; Ch. 5 – 8 output jack = master output. No FB loop (except in my head).
coyoteous
I've thought about these issues a lot (both modular mixers and CP)... latter first: I think you'd need to extend the module flanges to get the stiffness you'd want/need for patching, making the adapter-plate notion a non-starter for me (thought experiment: cut your flanges at that point and I'll bet it flexes, buckles, fatigues, etc.).

If you were really 'all-in' on the concept, maybe welding, including the flanges? (aluminium hard to weld though, I think, right?)... or maybe the vendor would do the exact same layout for you in a run, but toward the top or bottom (or middle?) of a full-height panel? (maybe with jack-holes for mults, tie-lines, etc. in the extra space)

I ended up with 16 spaces of non-COTK CP between two Moon cases (all full now, though)... as seen on TV (not really) and mentioned in another thread: dotcom rack frame people can adapt a frame to CP by adding two holes (what to do with the extra space, unless you shorten the ears, etc. I'll leave you to mull on that one for yourself).

OK, didn't make it to mixers in a timely fashion other than to say: I dig 'em, but have really good ones outside the modulars... this one would be great with the voltage control as would be a big Moog mixer (whatever the number is) for its special sound (and stereo or busses/quad/tone respectively... otherwise, for me, I'm covered outside the cab).

Oh, one thing I do like about vintage moogy console business is the modules/panel (or 'strip' way back) being basically upside-down (jacks toward the top)... I've even inverted modules on the bottom row to simulate... it's kinda cool, though obviously weird/disorientating (ended up flipping them back... I could go on, on this theme, but won't).

Cool new Moonus Modularis, though!

Added: To the 5U death thread as to not bust a grand post-count tonight... Time Tunnel and UFO women are [insert metoo appropriate compliment here... he says on muffwiggler about to go to gearslutz] (need to find UFO).

More added: Or cut your CP flanges, use that as a template, drill holes in a full-height blank, reassemble with both panels leaving out lock washers? (switches, etc. might be a problem)

Even more added: guess you could make bigger holes in the mother/back panel where and if necessary.

Way even more added: make a cutout for the whole ding-dang thing, if possible.

The 'jumping the shark' home addition: I see a way to do it with just some 'outriggers' (backriggers?) and an adapter plate on modules not this big behind the panel (or flange-reinforcing strips/bars held with countersunk screws and an adapter plate on any... maybe?).
Flareless
Yusynth also has a voltage controlled panning mixer with headphone output which is MU format
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1