MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Next Blacet EG?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author The Next Blacet EG?
fracmonkey
Suggestions?

("The main reason for redesign is the huge, complex pcb and the wired jacks, which cost 5X the price of pcb mount. The new availability of the AS3310 will reduce the parts count significantly.")
Kent
Deeeep Effort.
Noiseconformist
configurable/adjustable slope shapes?
werock
Feature wise the outgoing EG is pretty complete. If it's possible to cram it into a single width module that would be good. If not, maybe add something like trigger outs which go high at the end of the attack and/or decay stages to fill up some of the empty panel space.
Yesman
love the module as it is, I'll have to think of some extras.
Moog$FooL$
what happened to the old one?? obsolete parts??
did John say why he's dumped it??

seriously, i just don't get it
e-grad
Flying wires never have annoyed me. However, new parameters such as hold and delay similar to the Korg MS 50 EG2 would be great.
emmaker
Only thing I didn't like was to use it as an LFO you have to tie the gate input high.

I can only think of a couple of other things to add.
1) Delay.
2) End of envelope to chain to other envelopes.

Jay S
thee ghost ov n_phay
envelope slope(s) alterable with a switch or knob would be good, I like to feed the inv out into the decay time CV in because the curved slope sounds nicer but when I do that I need to patch in a mixer if I also want to control the decay time, which is OK, but obv would be loads easier if there was just a switch you could throw to get an exp decay.

A CV in for the envelope's output level would be good for adding dynamics via midi-cv velo out, sequencer row etc. Again, it can be achieved by other means IE patching the env out through a VCA but it would be much easier if that was "on board" so to speak.

As per upthread, and end gate out so you can chain envelopes together would be good, perhaps also an "unconditional contour" a la Moog Taurus 2 to go with it.

I would be quite happy to see the VC timescale section simplified, perhas a 3 way switch, super short/normal/loooong. I don't think I've ever used the timescale CV except when I built it to test it was working, obv that's just my use, other people might use that function a lot.

One thing that might be worth considering would be to design the board so it could be wired up as a full-function module, like the outgoing one, or as a low-fat one, you miss out the unnnecesary board components, winding up with a 1 1/2" wide module with just the basics (a, d, s, r, gate in, normal & inverted out, maye a lin/expo switch too, handy for those with high density systems perhaps.
Synthnerd
Great suggestions about slope change, delay, chaining, etc.

Picking up on what werock said, I wonder if there could be a separate gate out for the duration of each section A-D-S-R. Each out could trigger another EG or DAD to sweep a filter, 2100 wave cv input, or a Miniwave, while the master EG analog output controls a VCA for the full duration of the note. Would add possibilities for a lot of animation to the sound of a single note.

If all 3 or 4 gates from ADSR went into something like the 2040, I think one could set the separate gate CVs to levels that specifically select the waves from a Miniwave table? Without, one is slaved to the continuous CV output of a single EG scanning though the whole or adjacent portions of the table.

Something like a digital 3 or 4 stage sequencer function output with control of note duration, synchronized to the master EG ADSR continuous analog output.
(Separated digital gates out of the 4052 up front of the analog capacitor section ?).
fracmonkey
"Only thing I didn't like was to use it as an LFO you have to tie the gate input high."

To get a free running AD LFO, connect the Invert Out to the Gate. Switch to adsr/lfo and Sustain to zero.
emmaker
fracmonkey wrote:
To get a free running AD LFO, connect the Invert Out to the Gate. Switch to adsr/lfo and Sustain to zero.

Thanks!
fracmonkey
Spotted on ebay...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modular-Synthesizer-VC-ADSR-PCB/202218748956? hash=item2f152d3c1c:g:irsAAOSwnsRaeITC
Kyhotay
I never was crazy about the time base pot. I would prefer a long/med/short switch. I would like to see ala PAiA 4740 ADSR a fixed out along with a variable + out to go along with the variable inverted out. Trigger outs at the end of A, D & R is cool.

But what I would really like to see is a FRAC quad envelope generator! nanners
fracmonkey
VC timebase replaced by 3 position switch. Originally designed to eliminate a rotary switch but some parts now very expensive (Max364 $5). Used to buy these by the 1000s for a $1ea. How long before DIP stuff is priced out?
J3RK
Kyhotay wrote:
But what I would really like to see is a FRAC quad envelope generator! nanners

Something like a Frac-style Buchla 281 would be great!
Kyhotay
Now you're talkin'! Start designing it!
J3RK
I've got a very similar (different circuit but similar function) slope generator. However, I'd want to add voltage control to the slopes for a quad module. I'll need to think about how to put that in a bit. It would be a fun module to make though.
Kyhotay
Anything would be welcomed in our drought-stricken FRAC world!! help

The good news-bad news is we don't have new modules coming out every 2.73 seconds. Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1