MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland SR-JV80 expansion cards - risk of capacitor explosion
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Roland SR-JV80 expansion cards - risk of capacitor explosion
kvitekp
Just posted this on gearslutz, but due to the nature of the problem and popularity of Roland SR-JV80 expansion cards, it's worth re-posting it here. Original thread (with scary photos of results of an actual explosion) can be found here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-elect ronic-music-production/1112520-exploding-jv2080-expansion-card.html?po sted=1#post13125507

I've opened my beloved JD-990 today and checked 100uF 6V capacitor found on SR-JV80-04 Vintage Synth Expansion Card using LCR meter. I'm glad I did! Capacitor's ESR was 4.2 Ohm which is way to much for a 100uF cap, so I replaced it with a 100uF 25V SMD cap I happened to have on hand. The replacement cap is Nichicon UCW1E101MCL1GS (Digikey part # 493-9418-1-ND) with 7000 Hrs lifetime @ 105°C. Measured ESR is now 0.8 Ohm, which is about right.

High ESR means that electrolytic capacitor dried up and is losing its properties. Since JD-990 digital electronics is powered by +5V, that 100uF cap rated for 6V has very little margin and when degraded, has high chance of exploding. So it's a ticking bomb :( If you are using SR-JV80 cards, you must replace that electrolytic capacitor as soon as possible. Roland's recommendation to stop using these cards on their Japanese site is no joke. I wonder why they did not post it on English site.

Roland's note can be found here: https://www.roland.com/jp/support/support_news/170119/

Automatic translation:
----
To Expansion Board SR-JV80 Series Customers

Published January 27, 2017

Thank you very much for your patronage of our products on a daily basis.

Expansion board SR-JV80 series has been in production for more than 20 years since its initial production, electrolyte in use may rarely leak due to aged deterioration of electrolytic capacitor used.
If electrolyte leaks out, in the worst case there is a risk of smoking.
Customers who are currently using SR-JV80 series with sound module or synthesizer should stop using it immediately.

If you plan to continue using this SR-JV80 series in the future, please consult the Roland customer consultation center.

Roland Customer Consultation Center 050-3101-2555
* Follow the voice guidance, please press the repair reception desk "1 #".

Reception hours: Monday to Friday 10: 00 ~ 17: 00 (excluding holidays and our defined holidays)

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to customers who use our products. From now on, we will strive to further improve the quality. Thank you for your consideration.
---

/Peter
sutekina bipu-on
I almost bought a jv80 card recently. Glad I didn't! Though it makes me wonder if i should give my M-SE1 a more thorough inspection, even though their notice doesn't mention the sound expansion series.
Don Solaris
Video with instructions on how to fix the problem:

https://youtu.be/9n5eU-EWbyE
daveholiday
Thanks for posting this!! I have a Roland JV-1080 in my rack that is my goto synth for rompler type sounds. The three expansion boards in mine are the old style single 6v caps. While they have no visual signs of leaking (and I don't have an LCR meter) I still may source some replacement caps! There have got to be a ton of these cards floating around...surprised there haven't been more reports of failure.
sutekina bipu-on
daveholiday wrote:
Thanks for posting this!! I have a Roland JV-1080 in my rack that is my goto synth for rompler type sounds. The three expansion boards in mine are the old style single 6v caps. While they have no visual signs of leaking (and I don't have an LCR meter) I still may source some replacement caps! There have got to be a ton of these cards floating around...surprised there haven't been more reports of failure.

Its like the original Xbox's clock capacitor story, it's a problem that would affect all units, but not until they've all got old enough for the change which causes the problem to occur. So it happens to one person and they get online to mention it and then it just happens more frequently to more people as time goes on and the devices aren't repaired. It's not a "wait until it happens" thing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1