MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Module PCB orientation
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Module PCB orientation
akos.turi
I designed some basic, eurorack sized modules. Pots are mounted on the PCB. If I put the modules in the rack, circuit boards are on the right side (pic attached). Every other company use the left side to put the PCB. Would it be a problem? Should I follow any company standard?

My panels (original):


My panels should be? hmmm..... (mirrored):
kay_k
there is no fixed standard for this
I've never seen it your way but I've also never heard someone saying it's wrong.
MarcelP
Provided nothing projects beyond the width of the front panel (including the power connected and ribbon (yours look fine) then there shouldn’t be an issue. I think depth is the limiting factor for some of us... one of your modules in the pics looks like it wouldn’t fit in either my Manits or Eastwick cases. Though it would fit in my open backed HEK - so I may still be interested in that one!

All looks like pretty neat work! thumbs up
pugix
Some modules can't be mounted adjacent to one another, due to placement of the power headers and the resulting protrusion of a cable into the adjacent module space.

The farther from the edge of the panel that you can affix the PC board/bracket, the more clearance there will be for neighboring modules. Maybe you can't move it at this point in your design, but it's an idea.

BTW, how do the boards attach to the panel? The photos don't show this. (There is a long thread somewhere that is all about attaching a faceplate.)
mskala
As others have said, there should be no problem with either board orientation as long as the depth is okay and the module doesn't occupy any space outside its width. Boards in the middle with components on both sides, and boards parallel to the front panel, are also fairly popular.

However, it looks like you're using power connectors with the pins parallel to the front panel, and one thing to keep in mind doing that is that depending on how the cable is built, the ribbon may come out of the connector in one of two ways - pointing toward or away from the front panel. You probably want it going back away from the panel so that it doesn't loop back and consume more horizontal space, and a cable built to point the ribbon away from the panel in one board orientation won't in the other, assuming the connectors on both boards are oriented for "stripe down" (which is a genuine industry consensus).
akos.turi
pugix wrote:
Some modules can't be mounted adjacent to one another, due to placement of the power headers and the resulting protrusion of a cable into the adjacent module space.

The farther from the edge of the panel that you can affix the PC board/bracket, the more clearance there will be for neighboring modules. Maybe you can't move it at this point in your design, but it's an idea.

BTW, how do the boards attach to the panel? The photos don't show this. (There is a long thread somewhere that is all about attaching a faceplate.)


Easily, with the potentiometers. Two or more pots can hold the panel strong enough.
akos.turi
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I think, i will redesign the PCBs.
pugix
akos.turi wrote:
pugix wrote:
Some modules can't be mounted adjacent to one another, due to placement of the power headers and the resulting protrusion of a cable into the adjacent module space.

The farther from the edge of the panel that you can affix the PC board/bracket, the more clearance there will be for neighboring modules. Maybe you can't move it at this point in your design, but it's an idea.

BTW, how do the boards attach to the panel? The photos don't show this. (There is a long thread somewhere that is all about attaching a faceplate.)


Easily, with the potentiometers. Two or more pots can hold the panel strong enough.


That's how Oakley does it. Tony uses a pot bracket to hold the pot to the board very securely, and then the pot shafts can mount the panel.

Example: http://www.oakleysound.com/cota.htm

How are your pots fastened down?
akos.turi
pugix wrote:
That's how Oakley does it. Tony uses a pot bracket to hold the pot to the board very securely, and then the pot shafts can mount the panel.


Good idea! As I know Doepfer use these same "mountable pots". Can I buy these brackets separately? Do you know any good source?

pugix wrote:
How are your pots fastened down?


Only with a single nut screw - washer pair and I usually cut the anti-rotation tag from the pots.
pugix
akos.turi wrote:
pugix wrote:
That's how Oakley does it. Tony uses a pot bracket to hold the pot to the board very securely, and then the pot shafts can mount the panel.


Good idea! As I know Doepfer use these same "mountable pots". Can I buy these brackets separately? Do you know any good source?

pugix wrote:
How are your pots fastened down?


Only with a single nut screw - washer pair and I usually cut the anti-rotation tag from the pots.


I always bought the pot brackets from Oakley. Whenever I ordered a board, I also bought the pots and brackets.

I meant how are your pots fasted to the PC board?
akos.turi
pugix wrote:
I meant how are your pots fasted to the PC board?


Ohh, I just soldered the pot legs to the PCB. I know this is not the best solution, but good for prototyping.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group