MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SD to SCSI adapter for Yamaha RS7000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author SD to SCSI adapter for Yamaha RS7000
glennfin
I'd like t try one of these on my RS7000. There are several models that claim to work with various samplers but no mention of the RS..

Anyone???? hmmm.....
bmot
The SCSI2SD v5 (and possibly v6 but I haven’t had it confirmed) works with the SU700, been looking into it for mine. And as the AEIB SCSI adapter is the same as the RS‘ I would assume it works there too. There’s a yahoo group I used to belong to when I had an RS and a Facebook page, you could also try there:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5181224307/

Sorry for nothing definite
glennfin
Thanks for the reply and info Bmoot. The version 6 sells for around $100, the V5 is a little less but I'm afraid to get stuck with a $100 paperweight if it doesn't work.... might take a chance eek!

bmot wrote:
The SCSI2SD v5 (and possibly v6 but I haven’t had it confirmed) works with the SU700, been looking into it for mine. And as the AEIB SCSI adapter is the same as the RS‘ I would assume it works there too. There’s a yahoo group I used to belong to when I had an RS and a Facebook page, you could also try there:

bmot
I just had a quick look online and couldn’t find anything confirming v6 works with either RS or SU. But noth8ng saying they don’t, it might be that no one has yet tried them. This page has a compatibility list, there’s also a V5 page which has far more samplers listed as compatible

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD_V6_Compatibility
glennfin
I suppose if I buy it through E-bay I can return it if it doesn't work.......

bmot wrote:
I just had a quick look online and couldn’t find anything confirming v6 works with either RS or SU. But noth8ng saying they don’t, it might be that no one has yet tried them. This page has a compatibility list, there’s also a V5 page which has far more samplers listed as compatible

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD_V6_Compatibility
abruzzi
The v5 is listed as working with the RS7000:

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD_V5_Compatibility

There are a lot of things I prefer about the v6, but one problem I have is no one seems to build an external enclosure for the v6 like they do for the v5. On a sampler where you are replacing the floppy, that’s not a problem, just buy the floppy tray mount for,the v6 and dump the floppy. But on devices like,the Ensoniq samplers, where SCSI booted OSs don’t give you everything you need (like formatting disks) it’s a problem, and on devices like the RS7000 without internal mounting options it’s a problem. For that reason, you might be better off with the v5.
glennfin
Sounds like you're familiar with the V5 & V6. Do you know if devices that are compatible with the V5 are also compatible with the V6?. Also, I assume these are both configured with a utility program via USB?. Does this utility come with the board? I use older XP machines so I'm also wondering if the USB utility will run on 32 bit XP machines...

Thanks! cool

abruzzi wrote:
The v5 is listed as working with the RS7000:

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD_V5_Compatibility

There are a lot of things I prefer about the v6, but one problem I have is no one seems to build an external enclosure for the v6 like they do for the v5. On a sampler where you are replacing the floppy, that’s not a problem, just buy the floppy tray mount for,the v6 and dump the floppy. But on devices like,the Ensoniq samplers, where SCSI booted OSs don’t give you everything you need (like formatting disks) it’s a problem, and on devices like the RS7000 without internal mounting options it’s a problem. For that reason, you might be better off with the v5.
abruzzi
glennfin wrote:
Sounds like you're familiar with the V5 & V6. Do you know if devices that are compatible with the V5 are also compatible with the V6?. Also, I assume these are both configured with a utility program via USB?. Does this utility come with the board? I use older XP machines so I'm also wondering if the USB utility will run on 32 bit XP machines...

The v6 is newer so isn’t as widely tested. There are some people that have reported issues with the v6 board and then made the v5 work, but I haven’t had issues with mine on the devices I’ve tried.

There is a different utility for v6 vs v5, but both are freely downloadable from the CodeSrc website. I’ve only run them on Mac so I can’t say whether they work on XP, but try the Dowload links on this page:

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD
glennfin
Thanks very much....... Trying to decide if I should take a chance with the V6. Would much rather have the full size SD card. cool

abruzzi wrote:
glennfin wrote:

The v6 is newer so isn’t as widely tested. There are some people that have reported issues with the v6 board and then made the v5 work, but I haven’t had issues with mine on the devices I’ve tried.

There is a different utility for v6 vs v5, but both are freely downloadable from the CodeSrc website. I’ve only run them on Mac so I can’t say whether they work on XP, but try the Dowload links on this page:

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD
stikygum
If you don't like messing around with getting things to work, the v5 may be best. If you really want the extra features of the v6, then I would prep yourself that you may have to invest a little more trail and error into getting it to work.
abruzzi
glennfin wrote:
Thanks very much....... Trying to decide if I should take a chance with the V6. Would much rather have the full size SD card. cool

Totally understand. I really don’t much like microsd either. The other weird thing with the v5 is the partition map lives on the SCSI2SD device, not on the card. So if you pull an 8gb card and replace it with another 8gb card, it will work fine as long as you want the same partition setup on the second card, but if you pull an 8gb card and put in a 16gb card, you will have to reconfigure the board for the larger card, then reconfigure back when you put the 8gb back in. As annoying as this sounds, 8 gb on an 80s sampler with 4mb of sample ram is almost impossible to fill, so I end up leaving the card in there and never removing it.

Nonetheless, I bought a v5 for my Ensoniq EPS 16+ because Ensoniq requires the floppy if you want to format scsi. As a result I needed an external setup and as I think I mentioned, no one has made an external enclosure for the v6, so I went with the v5 for that device. I’ve used the v6 on Kurzweil and E-mu.
bmot
Im watching the comments here with interest, as I am thinking about getting SCSI2SD for the SU700. But right now, the Zip drive is working fine, I’m not certain if it’s worthwhile. Yes it’s slow, but I believe most of the bottleneck is the SU and not so much the Zip drive. I’d imagine it’s the same with the RS (I remember waiting 15 minutes for my sets to load, but I’d just get everything else ready in that time).

Are Zip drives really so bad? Is it the failure rate that’s the issue?
sutekina bipu-on
bmot wrote:

Dont use V6 on your synths

It is less stable than V5 for SCSI v1..... and any synth or sampler on earth ONLY uses SCSI v1. Anything that uses SCSI v2 might be some very high end pro hardware from the turn of the century. Basically you would know if you had to use SCSI v2.

glennfinn, just use a micro SD to SD adapter. Do you want a free one? PM me.

bmot wrote:
Im watching the comments here with interest, as I am thinking about getting SCSI2SD for the SU700. But right now, the Zip drive is working fine, I’m not certain if it’s worthwhile. Yes it’s slow, but I believe most of the bottleneck is the SU and not so much the Zip drive. I’d imagine it’s the same with the RS (I remember waiting 15 minutes for my sets to load, but I’d just get everything else ready in that time).

You won't believe they suck until it eats one of your disks. Just wait. Your shit will get ruined. I promise eek!
glennfin
I think you're mistaken... the RS7000 is SCSI 2

sutekina bipu-on wrote:
bmot wrote:

Dont use V6 on your synths

It is less stable than V5 for SCSI v1..... and any synth or sampler on earth ONLY uses SCSI v1. Anything that uses SCSI v2 might be some very high end pro hardware from the turn of the century. Basically you would know if you had to use SCSI v2.

glennfinn, just use a micro SD to SD adapter. Do you want a free one? PM me.

bmot wrote:

You won't believe they suck until it eats one of your disks. Just wait. Your shit will get ruined. I promise eek!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1