MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

should i get the mixpre-3 or mixpre-6
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author should i get the mixpre-3 or mixpre-6
odditymedium
i make films and i thought if getting one of sound devices mixpre series. can you help me decide if the mixpre-6 is overkill?

reasons why i am leaning towards the mixpre-6 over the mixpre-3

- more inputs
- asterisk button to annotate
- locking XLR connectors

halp?
Gyroscope
Get the 6. Better regret having too much inputs than not enough. Is the price difference that big?
odditymedium
its about $200 more. but yeah i'm leaning towards the 6 too
Hovercraft
When the MixPre's were announced--I ordered a 3, but after thinking about potential uses--I switched to a 6, and it's worked out well. A friend just got the 6, and is swapping it for the 10T--haha. For the combo TS/XLR jacks alone--the upgrade is worth it.
lud
Do you guys record your music jams on these?
leeski
get the 6 as it has Sampling Frequency
44.1 kHz
48 kHz
96 kHz
192 kHz

And i do record my stuff to this lud
Hovercraft
lud wrote:
Do you guys record your music jams on these?

Yes—one button recording—so nice and simple.
odditymedium
leeski wrote:
44.1 kHz
48 kHz
96 kHz
192 kHz

whats the advantage of having multiple sampling frequencies
leeski
odditymedium wrote:
leeski wrote:
44.1 kHz
48 kHz
96 kHz
192 kHz

whats the advantage of having multiple sampling frequencies

Less jittery noise when tuning down

I read it from a sound designer interview which makes sense
odditymedium
what does tuning down mean
Hovercraft
odditymedium wrote:

I think the potential advantage to higher sample rates is recording sound effects that will be slowed down in post-processing. The idea is the samples have higher resolution, and are more likely to hold up to extensive processing. The caveat is the quality is dependent on your mic, recorder, recording technique, and methods of post-processing.
odditymedium
any other plus points of the mixpre-6
what do u folks ESPECIALLY like about it
odditymedium
also - where to buy the mixpre-6 in europe
grillo
odditymedium wrote:
also - where to buy the mixpre-6 in europe

It looks like musicstore.de has them now. Thomann has some sound devices stuff but not at all the new range.
lud
Can you do multitrack overdubs on the 6?
Hovercraft
lud wrote:

MixPre doesn't do overdubs, punching in/out, etc.
Hovercraft
odditymedium wrote:
any other plus points of the mixpre-6
what do u folks ESPECIALLY like about it

It's an audio swiss army knife--multitrack recording, mixing, USB interface. Pro-grade preamps, analog limiter, high quality headphone amp, incredible routing flexibility, super compact, great controls/interface.
odditymedium
what do you mean by routin flexibility
odditymedium
also, what about battery life? do y'all use it plugged in to power?

should i get the lithium battery pack extension?

or should i get a usb power bank
dropthedyle
you should get a usb powerbank !
NB: there is a cool fbook community of mixpre users here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/mixpre)
numan7
Hovercraft wrote:
lud wrote:

MixPre doesn't do overdubs, punching in/out, etc.

it was so infuriating when i discovered that mixpre won't let me record one track at a time (swiss-army knife my ass)! very frustrating

otoh, although i already had good studio-grade preamps and converters it is nice that the mixpre's can run on batteries i suppose. so i haven't got rid of it yet... hmmm.....

cheers
mousegarden
dropthedyle wrote:
you should get a usb powerbank !
NB: there is a cool fbook community of mixpre users here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/mixpre)

The whole powering thing about the Mix Pre put me off buying one, the alkaline option is almost pointless, I think you have to go USB or nothing.
I bought a Tascam machine in the end as it runs for ages on the internal batteries, and I don't have buy extra sleds like the Mix Pre needs.
Hovercraft
numan7 wrote:

it was so infuriating when i discovered that mixpre won't let me record one track at a time (swiss-army knife my ass)! very frustrating

otoh, although i already had good studio-grade preamps and converters it is nice that the mixpre's can run on batteries i suppose. so i haven't got rid of it yet... hmmm.....

cheers

Always good to read the manual, before you buy--haha. Wonder if it could be made to multitrack with a firmware update?--you could always suggest it to SD. It seems unlikely they'd consider it, though--it would require a lot of new functionality. They just released the MixPre 10M--which is geared towards musicians--it probably does what you want--at a price!

Edit: If you have the MixPre 6, SD will offer a "Musician Plug-In" with multi-track functions!
numan7
well i've got the 10T which already cost quite a bit and just came out in the last couple of months. i have yet to hear about the 10M.

i did rtfm (more than once). and nothing i read indicated that i would be unable to record separate tracks in a single take. it should have a short chapter (or perhaps a huge-font all-caps warning at the top of each page) that explains how it 'only supports live tracking' and that each time you engage the record button it creates a different "take".

i don't particularly like the thought of having to sell the 10T to get a tiny bit (not a lot,, since the underlying bits for mullti-tracking seem like they're all there) of derived functionality. it does seem like it was willfully left out (i guess so that sounddesign can sell the same hardware unit with slightly different software as separate produts or something).

hmm, does the 10M get rid of the annoying plastic mini-joystick-button-nub-thingy (that replaced the transport buttons on the 3 and 6) and move the sd-card slot to an externally accessible location (instead of underneath the battery-sled like on the 10T)?

cheers
chvad
Hovercraft wrote:
odditymedium wrote:

I think the potential advantage to higher sample rates is recording sound effects that will be slowed down in post-processing. The idea is the samples have higher resolution, and are more likely to hold up to extensive processing. The caveat is the quality is dependent on your mic, recorder, recording technique, and methods of post-processing.

Wouldn't this be affected more by bit depth than sample rate?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2