MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

yamaha a3000 effects any good
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author yamaha a3000 effects any good
studio1dk
I have an old Yamaha A3000 sampler and would like to use it as an external effects processor. Are the effects any good - compared to hardware?? I'm thinking of buying a FMR rnla - but if the yamaha can do the compressor trick that would be faboulous.
splonge
I had one years ago, IIRC the distortion is amazing. I used to use single loop waveforms to make basic oscillators and the filter with high resonance going into distortion was fantastic.
sutekina bipu-on
I never had a 3000 but i've had 4000 and 5000s. The effects aren't bad at all but i wouldn't get one FOR the effects.

Yamaha typically does way better with digital compressor FX than most other companies especially back when these were released so you might actually do well to use it for that. try it and see and if it sucks sell the 3000 and get a MX400.
stikygum
FX are good, but if you actually want to use the sampling, load times are a nightmare. And that's moreso than comparable SCSI units of it's decade. Could easily take up to 5 minutes to load crap.
studio1dk
Thanks all. I'll just have a go and see what happens. I use a cd-rom drive to load the samples - and yes the 3.5" drive is sloooooow
studio1dk
Double post.
hardwarecore
I think the A3000 has the same effects as the SU-700 and, if that's the case, I would recommend it. It's a very subjective thing, but I loved the reverb on the SU, as well as the distortion.
stikygum
studio1dk wrote:
Thanks all. I'll just have a go and see what happens.

That's really the only way you'll know if it's for you. Good luck and have fun with your new fx.
mycoST
I like the reverbs, but I don't think they are for everyone. Some of the verbs I would describe as pretty metallic, so if you are on the lookout for reverbs check out some demos on youtube. The canyon reverb is pretty unique, have not seen any reverb of that kind anywhere else, but yeah, they may be out there on other gear.

The flanger and chorus effects are usable, not particularly exciting, but the celeste preset is one I like and use from time to time.

Where the Yamaha A-line shines is when you are using it as an external filter. A lot of filtering options with LP + HP for example, in addition to effects or even another LP/BP/HP filter if you are crazy.

Note: I have an A4000 so I may be talking about some effects that are only on A4K/A5K.
Ranxerox
stikygum wrote:
FX are good, but if you actually want to use the sampling, load times are a nightmare. And that's moreso than comparable SCSI units of it's decade. Could easily take up to 5 minutes to load crap.

On the a4000 the load times are faster from the internal hd, but yeah still pretty long. I bought mine to use as a cheap and interesting FX box, but have ended up using it as a regular sampler all the time.

The only thing I wish it had (apart from a bulk wave import option and faster load times) are regular cut/copy/paste features in sample edit mode... I mean, wth Yamaha!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1