MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New 5U studio case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author New 5U studio case
boothnavy
I am looking into fabricating a new 5U studio case. My general goal is to have it be similar to the 2 row Modcan B sloped case:

BUT be compatible with both MU and MOTM modules. The magic width is 29.75" which allows for 17 MOTM modules or 14 MU modules. This case would allow you to mix and match rows of each type.

Powder coated 4046 aluminum, so lighter weight than walnut. Universal tapped mounting holes on stainless steel rails, so no drilling out or stripping wood or having two different sized mounting screws.

It seems there are not a lot of wider style options outside of the dotcom studio cases and I don't know of any commercially available MOTM cases. Two of these side by side would be 8MU wider than the 22/44. Looks like you can only get COTK cases with full systems. Moon cases are mostly 8MU wide.
Dotcom portable is 11MU over 11MU so this would be a bit wider and more studio-centric.

I guess my questions are:

Is this something that appeals to users of large formats? Mostly new users I guess or those looking to expand into a large size from racks or 22 space systems?

Is there a need for a commercial case for MOTM as it is largely a DIY format at this point?

Suggested features?

Questions?
JohnLRice
boothnavy wrote:
Universal tapped mounting holes on stainless steel rails, so no drilling out or stripping wood or having two different sized mounting screws.
eek! thumbs up hmmm..... That would be awesome but, how do it work? spinning

boothnavy wrote:
Is this something that appeals to users of large formats? Mostly new users I guess or those looking to expand into a large size from racks or 22 space systems?
Agreed.

boothnavy wrote:
Is there a need for a commercial case for MOTM as it is largely a DIY format at this point?
Yeah, hard to say at this point if making MOTM cases would be a good business move or not? seriously, i just don't get it

boothnavy wrote:
Suggested features?
Make it a simple user assembled construction to save tons of money on shipping costs by shipping them "knocked down"?

Offer different colors, at least black and white? ooohh, maybe a chrome version?! hyper cool

Provide attachment points on the tops so a case can be bolted upside down on top of another one? Maybe offer a single row case with a non-angled front that could be bolted in-between two of the large cases or just added as a third row etc etc (yes, same way as the DotCom cases can be configured)
drob842
This is a really unique idea. I don’t have any MOTM, but offering an off-The-shelf option for folks who have both MOTM and 5U could be a winner.

To JLR’s point, if someone could offer a case that could be broken down for shipping and assembled by the buyer, I’d think that would be an absolute home run. I have the synthesizers.com 44 and 22 studio cabinets and I was crushed by the shipping costs. If there were a cheap shipping option available when I was buying, I’d have been all over that.
Dave Peck
Since it is going to have an angled front, make sure the design avoids the flaw found in the Dotcom slant 44 cabinet that prevents many types of modules from fitting in the bottom row - add an extra inch or two of vertical height across the bottom, so modules with deep perpendicular circuit boards don't run into the 'floor' of the cabinet.
boothnavy
Dave Peck wrote:
Since it is going to have an angled front, make sure the design avoids the flaw found in the Dotcom slant 44 cabinet that prevents many types of modules from fitting in the bottom row - add an extra inch or two of vertical height across the bottom, so modules with deep perpendicular circuit boards don't run into the 'floor' of the cabinet.

Yes, that's definitely part of the design.
boothnavy
Dave Peck wrote:

Yes, that's definitely part of the design.
EMwhite
Only if you can powder coat it that light IBM blue color, used on the 4341 mainframe in 1982.

Seriously though, are you planning on using the Euro type rails with movable threaded points (I might have missed what you said about this), or are you making a MOTM style and a MU style?
boothnavy
JohnLRice wrote:
boothnavy wrote:
Universal tapped mounting holes on stainless steel rails, so no drilling out or stripping wood or having two different sized mounting screws.

We use a similar thumb screw that you use. Interchangeable rails with different hole spacing depending on format. Each row would be all MU or all MOTM but allow for one over the other in the same case with the same mounting hardware.

JohnLRice wrote:
boothnavy wrote:
Suggested features?
Make it a simple user assembled construction to save tons of money on shipping costs by shipping them "knocked down"?

Yeah we are in engineering now and are going to look at that as a possibility. obviously depends on the end user's threshold of ability...

JohnLRice wrote:
Offer different colors, at least black and white? ooohh, maybe a chrome version?! hyper cool

yes, that is the plan. I have the Modcan paint color, but i had something recently powder coated in a white that is very similar and I prefer the harder finish to paint. Sadly, our vendor for the chrome material has not done a good job with QG so we have had to move on...

JohnLRice wrote:
Provide attachment points on the tops so a case can be bolted upside down on top of another one? Maybe offer a single row case with a non-angled front that could be bolted in-between two of the large cases or just added as a third row etc etc (yes, same way as the DotCom cases can be configured)

not a bad idea, just more parts to manufacture and again, all depends on demand.
boothnavy
EMwhite wrote:
Only if you can powder coat it that light IBM blue color, used on the 3431 mainframe in 1982.

oooooooooo love

EMwhite wrote:
Seriously though, are you planning on using the Euro type rails with movable threaded points (I might have missed what you said about this), or are you making a MOTM style and a MU style?

the latter. Two different rails, user selectable. see previous comment on JLRs post.
JohnLRice
boothnavy wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
boothnavy wrote:

We use a similar thumb screw that you use. Interchangeable rails with different hole spacing depending on format. Each row would be all MU or all MOTM but allow for one over the other in the same case with the same mounting hardware.
Ahh, OK that makes sense. thumbs up I thought you somehow had both sets of holes on the same rail surface and I didn't think that was doable, at least reasonably, because some holes overlap and it would be difficult to impossible to machine, at least at a reasonable cost.

Something I've pondered before though, would be using square rails like the Dotcom frames OR L or U aluminum/steel for the rails and then put one set of holes on a different surface. That way you only need to produce one set of rails and users could rotate them as needed.

Flareless
I think it's a great idea and the points here are all worth consideration.

I'll +1 the need to be able to stack the cabinets. So many times I see posts by Eurorack users suggesting that size is a huge factor in their decision of format choice.

Even if one has the room for a larger setup it's far more beneficial (IMHO) to get twice the number of modules on the same square metre (footage) of desk space.

I also like the option of colour choice. Black for sure, white.... eh. Red screaming goo yo

+1 also for the option of user assembly. While some may opt for a pre-assembled cabinet I think that many more would prefer to put the money for shipping into more modules and do it themselves.
Scooter McCrae
This is fantastic! I have some orphan Modcan modules that I need an extra cabinet for, so having something EXACTLY like the standard Modcan cases is very appealing to me (especially as it looks like Bruce will not be making these anymore even if he does go back to 5U production).

I would happily purchase at least one of these double-tier cabinets, and if there were a way to safely stack them I would buy two. Unless....

Perhaps instead of limiting this to two tiers, is it possible to do something like this?

Being able to add a third (or even fourth) non-tilted case to the main body would be a spectacular way to build upwards while maintaining that solid base. It works extremely well with Bruce's Modcan cases. I could probably add one more tier to this case (if I could find one!) and it would still remain sturdy and stable.

I hope you go forward with this design soon! I've been needing exactly this kind of case to get my studio space in some kind of order for awhile now.

Scooter McCrae
Flareless
Great points Scooter applause

Just curious.... which Joystick module is that on the bottom row?
tehfizzle
I'd be interested in larger sizes as well.
Scooter McCrae
Hey There Flareless!

That's the 32B X/Y Controller -- I've since acquired a second one, and using the two of them together is currently my favorite way to control the modular (instead of a MIDI keyboard). Modcan B is my favorite format, if it isn't already obvious from the photo...!

Wow, I hope there's enough of us out there to make this cabinet system become a reality.

Scooter McCrae
boothnavy
DAMN SCOOTER eek!

Any chance you could send me measurements of the cases? The dimensions aren't listed on the Modcan site. Mostly curious how deep they are. top and bottom depth.
ranix
I've been lusting after one of those hex keyboards since the first time I saw one. That's a beautiful setup.
Flareless
Scooter McCrae wrote:
Hey There Flareless!
That's the 32B X/Y Controller -- I've since acquired a second one, and using the two of them together is currently my favorite way to control the modular (instead of a MIDI keyboard). Modcan B is my favorite format, if it isn't already obvious from the photo...!

woah applause applause applause applause

Thanks for the info Scooter! Your system is both stunning and unique. Outstanding thumbs up
Scooter McCrae
Thanks very much for the kind words, ranix and Flareless -- it has taken me quite a number of years to get this system put together, but I'm very happy with the set-up and at the moment lack only the perfect case to get everything else going to make the system damn near perfect.

Boothnavy, I'll do my best to get ahold of a tape measure in the next day or two and will send you all the measurements you will need. Also, let me know if you need any other detail photos of the case or have any other questions, etc. Happy to help out however I can.

(Out of frame is one more row of Modcan stuff in a "portable" set-up that includes two CV Recorders that I use as audio 'tape recorders' when doing live gigs, as well as a Dual Frequency Shifter, a Dual Filter and a mixer. Did I mention how much I love Bruce's Modcan B designs...?!?)

Scooter McCrae
Dr Gris
Flareless wrote:
Great points Scooter applause

Just curious.... which Joystick module is that on the bottom row?

Analog Craftsman has the Arcade Joystick module w00t
If someone wants to joystick...

//Magnus
Scooter McCrae
Hey There Boothnavy!

Okay, here's some case measurements.

From left-to-right across the front = 22 inches

The three tier cabinet = 27 inches tall.

The very bottom of the slanted case from front-to-back = 13 inches

The top of the slanted case from front-to-back = 8 1/2 inches

The height of just the bottom two tiers (with the slant built in) = 17 3/4 inches

Case thickness accounts for 1/2 inch on each side of the cabinet and on top as well, although the bottom case piece is closer to 3/4 inches in width.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if I've missed anything or if you have any other questions. Now please start making these cases soon...!

Scooter McCrae
Bowman
Scooter McCrae wrote:
Modcan B is my favorite format, if it isn't already obvious from the photo...!

Very nice! But I do enjoy the "black sheep of the family" module on the bottom left. lol
Scooter McCrae
Hah! Thanks, Bowman! It does kinda' look like a tooth got knocked out of the Modcan mouth in the corner there, don't it? It's a Wogglebug module. I have an MOTM cabinet out of frame to the right that's pretty full as well, but that one module somehow escaped the last time I was moving things around. One more reason I need Boothnavy to build a nice 5U cabinet that matches and allows me to mix Modcan and MOTM stuff together.

Scooter McCrae
whitewulfe
Late to the party by a few months, but since I'm looking at getting back into modular sometime in the near-ish future, it's definitely interesting... Doubly so if the previously mentioned things like a powder coated finish were included alongside it being "reasonable" on shipping costs because it's packed down, and of course doesn't have the same spacing issues that the slanted dotcom studio cabinets have for the bottom row.

Even more bonus "points" if you can fit a keyboard or one of your skiffs in front of it ^_^
DrReverendSeance
I guess I missed this when it came out!
A case solution mixing Modcan/MOTM and MU would be interesting for me as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4