MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Copperphone or microphone games
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Copperphone or microphone games
MindMachine
I am looking to purchase a Copperphone microphone. They seem to be easy lo fi options. I am looking to use mainly on vocals, amps, percussion (bells, toy glocks and pianos, etc.) and woodwinds. Lookig for a displaced lo fi, yet consistent signal. zombie

I have some crappy microphones (cassette old school, piezo types, old headphones, etc.) and some low end ones I can mess with (place foil that holes poked in on the screen, use gift tissue paper all around, place in a coffee can, etc.).

I also use Alesis Metavox, Boss VT's for 'old school' sound.

I realize this is a vague/subjective thing. Will a Copperphone give me some tonal tunnel static?

Any experience with one at all here? Do I just keep experimenting?
taylor12k
if you're talking about the Placid Audio mic https://www.placidaudio.com

i can say i've used one, and have been meaning to buy one. they're very cool and pretty much do what they say, and what the sound examples illustrate.

it's a great tone to have in the mic collection if you feel like you're missing it/need it/want it...

and, at the price, they're hard to turn down.

cool company and cool mics.. they have a few others you might want to look at and compare features with.. i'm sort of interested in their Resonator mics now.
hsosdrum
MindMachine wrote:
I am looking to purchase a Copperphone microphone. They seem to be easy lo fi options. I am looking to use mainly on vocals, amps, percussion (bells, toy glocks and pianos, etc.) and woodwinds. Lookig for a displaced lo fi, yet consistent signal. zombie

I have some crappy microphones (cassette old school, piezo types, old headphones, etc.) and some low end ones I can mess with (place foil that holes poked in on the screen, use gift tissue paper all around, place in a coffee can, etc.).

I also use Alesis Metavox, Boss VT's for 'old school' sound.

I realize this is a vague/subjective thing. Will a Copperphone give me some tonal tunnel static?

Any experience with one at all here? Do I just keep experimenting?

I'm not sure what you mean by "tonal tunnel static", but have you tried taping an empty toilet paper tube around one of your current mics? Perhaps with some thin tissue paper stretched across it (or bunched-up inside it)?

Buying a mic that can only give you lo-fi sounds seems like a waste of money to me. If you have a collection of, as you say "crappy microphones" I would get creative with those in attempting to create something lo-fi and save your mic purchasing $$ for high-quality mics you can use on vocals and acoustic instruments that you want to record with better fidelity, rather than lower fidelity.

And of course, if you record in-the-box there are a shitload of plug-ins you can use to fuck-up sound quality after-the-fact. (Yet another reason to ditch analog, but that's a whole other thread...)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1