MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Octatrack to MIDI Thing to Pamela's New Workout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Octatrack to MIDI Thing to Pamela's New Workout
overthinker
Hi guys!

My Eurorack is assembled and I have 6HP left. I want to use this space for a MIDI to CV converter which I could also use to clock my Pamela's New Workout to the Octatrack and use Octatrack as a sequencer for my VCO's.

I found that I can use Befaco's MIDI Thing to sequence with the Octatrack however I am not sure if I can successfully clock Pamela's New Workout to it.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to achieve this? As mentioned before I have 6hp MAX and do not want to take anything out. Currently I am using CV.OCD for this purpose but I want as little external gear as possible.

Thanks!
a_b_d
MIDI Thing's Start/Stop won't reset my version 1 Pamela's Workout via the Run input

I can sync them, though, by putting PW in free run mode with the C value to 1

PW's tempo sometimes drifts on the screen but I don't hear any drift (though it's a new module for me so time may tell)
overthinker
a_b_d wrote:
MIDI Thing's Start/Stop won't reset my version 1 Pamela's Workout via the Run input

I can sync them, though, by putting PW in free run mode with the C value to 1

PW's tempo sometimes drifts on the screen but I don't hear any drift (though it's a new module for me so time may tell)

Ah thank you for the answer! Oh the joy and dread of trying to make a 6U system that gives you ambiences, sampling, melodies, bass and sequencing. very frustrating hihi
Artaos
I have a Digitakt, Pamela’s New Workout, and Befaco MIDI thing. I sequence MIDI thing using the Digitakt’s MIDI out. And I sync Pamela’s to the DT using the DIN Sync out mode on the Digitakt (i.e not using MIDI) and it works great and is probably tighter. (All you need is a Din Sync adapter cable.)
hyena
i don't know pam's workout but i can easily clock my makenoise tempi from the octatrack simply activating the metronome and sending it out the headphone output, it is loud enough and short enough smile try it!
overthinker
Quote:
i don't know pam's workout but i can easily clock my makenoise tempi from the octatrack simply activating the metronome and sending it out the headphone output, it is loud enough and short enough smile try it!

Ahh yes I read about this earlier, however I always use the headphone output for.. well my headphones haha

So is there any way to convert a MIDI signal to a Din Sync signal via a Eurorack module or adapter cable? So far I've been only able to find external gear, that requires power and space on the table.
PompeiiRuler
I use the Erica Midi to Trig module with my OT for this purpose and sequencing drums. Connects to Pams V2 just fine
Artaos
You can convert a din sync signal from a midi connector to Panela’s clock and run inputs using simply an adapter cable like Expert Sleepers DJ-1200
I do this with my Digitakt. It requires you to set up one midi port to send out din sync instead of midi. I don’t know if the octatrack can do that too.
a_b_d
for those of you who searched "midi thing" "pamela"

PW v1 is showing significant drift when clocked from the MIDI Thing :( guess i'll try a Tempi?

this thread covers it all: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114061&start=0&sid=d 5aad9242cfa7dc628500f21a1f55ce1[/url]
vssp
overthinker wrote:

I found that I can use Befaco's MIDI Thing to sequence with the Octatrack however I am not sure if I can successfully clock Pamela's New Workout to it.

It's exactly my setup, thanks to MIDI Thing I can sync Pamela's New Workout with the OT, though I don't have any start/stop synchronisation, but it's not a big deal... obviously I can also send MIDI sequences from the OT to the Eurorack via MIDI Thing. It's really practical, basic and functional, and in very few hps, I love it!
VZvision
overthinker wrote:
Quote:

Ahh yes I read about this earlier, however I always use the headphone output for.. well my headphones haha

So is there any way to convert a MIDI signal to a Din Sync signal via a Eurorack module or adapter cable? So far I've been only able to find external gear, that requires power and space on the table.

The most hassle-free solution via a module would be the ALM D.S.G.

You would then set up one of the midi outputs on the Octatrack to send out a
DIN sync signal (I know the RYTM, A4, and AK all have this option to hijack one of the midi-outs to send a DIN sync signal, but would have to check the Octa just in case), plug the midi cable into the DSG, and the module will give you the clock and run signals you need. DSG is also passive which is nice if you're pressed for power.

If the Octatrack indeed doesn't work like Elektron's other boxes, you may want think about running New Pam's as the master with one of its expanders with Midi-out to sync up the Octatrack. The only real difference here is the button on Pam's sets everything off rather than the play button on the Octatrack...

The bonus too is that 6HP can now be entirely devoted to a midi-to-cv device without worrying about sync from that device too since your clocking is being exclusively handled by Pam's.

hope that helps.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1