MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Akai S2000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Akai S2000
sutekina bipu-on
Shit! This thing has been effectively a table for other gear ever since i got my first MPC, then some other vintage samplers that sound awesome, and now i am sitting here thinking what to do with my S2000.

I was going to use it as a backup sampler for when my other samplers are full of different voices loaded up but i might pick up an EMU Ultra based on some recommendations on another thread i posted here.

I was thinking i could keep it around for time stretching or maybe do an internal SCSI mod, if anyone has done that sort of thing? (I think you just need to add the pin headers?)

If you have a S2000, S3200, use a MPC 2000 for the sound module but not sequencer, anything like that..... Shout out any cool tips you have... I am not sure if i have a reason to keep it around if i want an EMU Ultra??
ignatius
the S2000 is the most boring of akai samplers. really. it's vanilla as fuck. not that people haven't done interesting shit w/it but it's a wallflower. the filter is just blah.. and the converters aren't very musical...

you can get some interesting sounds out of it if you have the FX card and the 8 out expansion.. the modulation is acceptable.. i owned one for years and years until it broke. i always wanted an emu but never had the cash for one..

emu e4 or ultra or e6400.. they all have such musical great sounding converters.. the akai s2000 is like a wet blanket.. i was happy to have it though.. when it broke i got a yamaha a4000 which was more fun and easier to program.

if you must have an oldschool hardware rack mount sampler i thin kthe way to go is emu.
Noha
This was my first sampler and the reason it took me so long to understand sampling. I say ditch it as soon as you're able. Sorry to be a bummer. zombie
sutekina bipu-on
ignatius wrote:
the S2000 is the most boring of akai samplers. really. it's vanilla as fuck. not that people haven't done interesting shit w/it but it's a wallflower. the filter is just blah.. and the converters aren't very musical...

Hmm this is kinda what i was feeling. Thanks for the confirmation.
CoreInside
use as a multitimbral polysynth, can get lush pads out of it. pretty crap for basslines imo.
Luap
Send it to the Hydraulic Press Youtube channel.
I like old Akais, but the S2000 wasn't exactly their finest hour..
The Goob
I'll just throw out there that great records have been made almost entirely on S2000s. The Avalanches - Since I Left You and Zomby - Where Were U in '92? are two I am familiar with.

I remember watching some videos on Youtube of a guy who did some really nice D&B with one. I think he has at least one video where he gives a tutorial on the machine too. They should be pretty easy to find if you do a search for S2000 videos, but I'll try to remember to see if I can dig those up and post links.

As with any piece of gear, if you have stuff you like better that can serve the same purpose, I don't see what the point of keeping it would be though.
CoreInside
https://britishacid.bandcamp.com/track/ptc

the pad is an s2000,using the pwm trick
ignatius
soul oddity (phonecia) apparently used the s2000 a lot in early days.. can hear the filter all over stuff on their first album.
jules
Still it was the bees knees when it came out.
The cards (additional outs, extra filters and effects) were outrageously expensive.
But it was MIDI, a sampler, and a synth (it's got 4 waveforms and noise loaded with the system at every boot). The multitimbral system was a milestone when compared to the 1000 series.
Same system and architecture as the S3xxx, only less ergonomic with less screen space and buttons. But much cheaper.
I'm fond of it, because it was one of my first machines. S2000, an atari ST with cubasis, a cheap korg multi effect and a 4 track recorder... I made hundreds of tracks with that. It was a killer setup in 1996.

EDIT: sorry, I clicked submit before the end...
ignatius
jules wrote:
Still it was the bees knees when it came out.
The

the 3200 or 3000 perhaps.. but in my experience anyone w/an S2000 wanted something else but used what was available.
sutekina bipu-on
CoreInside wrote:
https://britishacid.bandcamp.com/track/ptc

the pad is an s2000,using the pwm trick

Shit I paid almost nothing for my s2000, i should keep it for the filter alone now i think.
CoreInside
the screen on the s2000 is more reliable than on the s3000xl
the bad producer
I've got four S2000s and eight S3000XLs and a few S3200s and I don't know what to do with them any more cry zombie
Monotremata
I had one back in like 2000 or so, it was my first hardware sampler. It wasn't bad but it was nothing special, it did the job it was supposed to do. I got it when Musicians Friend was blowing them out for like $200 so can't complain at all. Never did get to expand the RAM for it, at the time, those old SIMMs were tough to come by. The other expansions for it were pretty pricey too. I liked my later EMU ESI-4000 better though. Although the OS of both of em was a pain in the ass to get around at first. I ended up selling the Akai for more than I paid for it heh.
ignatius
the bad producer wrote:
I've got four S2000s and eight S3000XLs and a few S3200s and I don't know what to do with them any more cry zombie

flol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1