MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Video series on creating a modular for live performance
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Video series on creating a modular for live performance
clarke_e_cat
These videos are really freakin' awesome man, thank you. Loads of food for thought.
ersatzplanet
If a live performance synthesizer is the goal, I hope you will consider some controller modules in the rig you are building in this series. As a manufacturer of performance modules, I find typically they are the last things that a person buys for their rig. The money they have is typically spent on more sexy modules and the user puts up with manually reaching through the spaghetti of cords to turn knobs till their rig grows big enough, or the hassle grows larger enough' that they think differently. For me I use a performance skiff that sits in front of whichever section of my studio rig that I bring to the gig. It of course works on other peoples rigs too. It is sort of a demo skiff for the modules I make (I also have a second one that has joysticks from other makers) and looks like this:

We also make a family of often forgotten additions to a performance rig, LAMP modules to provide lighting in a performance situation. Many time a modular performance is the player only being lit by the lightshow being projected behind them. Not an optimal situation for live performance. We make LAMP modules to remedy this:

I hope this post doesn't come across as just an opportunity for me to advertise my products, I sincerely believe that performance modules are sadly not as prominent in people's rigs as they should be. These are voltage controlled systems after all, they should have controllers in them. I am often a little bummed out to see post of peoples large rigs that have NO performance modules at all in them.
underthebigtree
Hi James -

I absolutely agree about the need for performance interface, and appreciate your bringing it up here.

I was going to touch on that in a future episode. Here is what I've thought about thus far, though:

1) In my case, I'm actually a trained pianist/keyboardist, so interfacing with a keyboard-type device is second nature to me. My obvious primary choice would be my Minimoog Voyager Old School (no patch memory, no digital anything), which has tons of voltage sources. But it is big and takes up space.

2) The wild card in my system are the two 1U rows. I was thinking about either getting four force sensitive resistor tiles from Pulp Logic: http://pulplogic.com/product/fsr/
And tying them together, or DIY'ing something myself.

But in general, having a performance interface is hugely important, and I really like the stuff that you and your company produce. hihi

-Nick
lisa
underthebigtree wrote:

Nice review of the fundamentals. smile
ersatzplanet
underthebigtree wrote:
Hi folks -

I'm happy to say that episode 4 has just been posted! In order to explain clocks, I ended up doing an overview of rhythm and rhythmic nomenclature, including stuff like polyrhythms, swing, compound time signatures, etc.

I just watched your clocks video and noticed something missing from your discussion of clock dividers. There are two different types of clock dividers out in Euroland. I call them "Mathematical" and "Musical". What is the difference? Mathematical dividers look at the clock input and wait until the division before outputting a pulse. A divide by 4 would be like this - one, two, three, four, one, two, three, four, etc. The musical dividers output a pulse on the downbeat and then counts to the next downbeat - one, two, three, four, one, two, three, four, etc. The original Doepfer dividers were mathematical in nature for instance and nowadays many dividers have switches or internal jumpers to change the type.

The easy way to tell which one the divider you have is, is to hit the reset input. On a Mathematical divider, all outs will go low, on a Musical one All go high. This is very important in synchronizing separate sequencers in a verse/chorus use where you want the sequences to start or change on the downbeat (the first note of a bar and not on the last note).

Some Graphs:
The Mathematical versions:

The Musical Ones:

These differences are only notices when bar boundaries change or at the start and stop of the sequences. Also you can change one kind into another by using inverters. It is something to be aware of though. I have seen many users wondering why the syncing between sequencers can go off when the sequential switches they are slaving to these dividers outputs and the switch changes on the four and not on the one.
underthebigtree
Thank you for that excellent addition to the conversation, James. I had never heard of this before! I learned something new.
Zube
These videos are great. So is your whole channel. Keep it going!
underthebigtree
I am delighted to say that I've just published part 5 in the series. This one is all about sequencers.

Now it is seriously time for Guinness ftw!

The next episode, part 6, will be on signal routing. But I think I'm going to do a couple of smaller episodes before that. Stay tuned!
Misk
great videos! subscribed smile
minigmgoit
I’ve watched all the videos you did. I just loved how excited you were about your new case
Class
I have really enjoyed this series, especially the clocking and sequencing episodes.

I have to try to understand how you setup Pam’s and utilities, for swing and such.

Great work, thank you.
marcmuon
really enjoyed this video series, thanks for doing it!
pinkilae
Great channel, thanks!
tewnty_two
Great series so far, Looking forward to more!
dave999z
So excited to have found this. Great job.
909one
This is awesome. I was just watching #5 a little bit. What module do you use to combine voltages with two separate sequences? Can Maths do this? Is the "Precision Adder" something that does this?
JohnLRice
909one wrote:
This is awesome. I was just watching #5 a little bit. What module do you use to combine voltages with two separate sequences? Can Maths do this? Is the "Precision Adder" something that does this?
Yes, the Doepfer or VPME T43 are great for this:
underthebigtree
It took a while, but I have finally completed this series. Part 6, on tying it all together, ended up being three videos: an overview, then a module by module description of my live rig, followed by an improvised performance using the system.

Thanks to everyone who has watched this series - it has turned out to be some of the most popular videos I've done.

And here is the whole series in a playlist:
Designing a Modular System for Live Performance - Series Playlist
Zube
great stuff! This series has been very helpful to me. thanks for making these videos!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2