MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

6U Travel Case for your consideration
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 6U Travel Case for your consideration
Koryo
Things change, so here is a new 6U flat pack travel case for your consideration. The previous 11U design is depreciated.

Designed for travel in overhead bins for maximum hp.
Self cinching hardware for Bastl - Juice Boards.
Pre-drilled for L - 1 linear PSU and Meanwell switching power supplies.
Switched IEC C14 mains inlet with fuse.
Does not require or use aluminum rails or nut inserts.
Four thumb screws unlock all modules in a 3U section.
Swap and rearrange modules like never before.
Flat and angled with integral kickstand is a stock configuration.
Tool-less 5/16" (8mm) rail mounting system.
Extensive venting.

110 hp x 6U
3.7" h x 12.9" d x 22.16 w
94mm h x 328mm d x 563mm w

uebl
Would you mind elaborating a bit more on the locking/unlocking mechanism, ideally backed by some example pictures?
Hainbach
Yeah, I would like to see more, too! Has me very curious, as I like to shuffle modules.

Travel case and ventilation don't seem to go well together. Will there be an outer shell?

Also, 563 is 1.3 cm over many airlines limit, though I doubt they care with instruments.

@uebl: love your setup btw!
meatbeatz
Very nice! I was working on a similar mechanism last year for locking/unlocking rows but gave up when I found it didn't work well with modules with face plates of different thickness. I had considered taking up the slack with a neoprene strip or similar but it would deform/perish over time. Looks great but I would definitely develop a working prototype before announcing something like this.
Koryo
Hainbach wrote:
Travel case and ventilation don't seem to go well together. Will there be an outer shell?

Yes, I envision a rectangular duffel bag with a DIY foam lid if one is packaged and a foam insert with lift off hinges if two are packaged. (folding them together.)

Hainbach wrote:
Also, 563 is 1.3 cm over many airlines limit, though I doubt they care with instruments.

It's pushing the limits for the 22" (56cm) size of the bigger airlines not the 21" (55cm) of the smaller. To note, the corners are beveled so that the slight extra won't be a problem to close the bin door and it's so close, it would be very difficult to spot that it was oversize. If it proves to be an issue, I will knock at least 2hp off.

meatbeatz wrote:
...it didn't work well with modules with face plates of different thickness...

Oh, you were so close! This design does not clamp on the face plates. It uses single sided M3 weld nuts tabs that are available everywhere and cheap. Each case kit will ship with a generous set of them and then it becomes a one time procedure to screw them on to your modules. I will upload a detail illustration.
Koryo
Best laid plans and such...

Well, it looks like I screwed up. Guess there is a difference between 3.0 and 3.5. To put it another way, I based all this work off of M3 weld tabs, unfortunately all that are available are M3.5 weld tabs. Not like I put any work into this or anything.

Trying to come up with an solution.
In the meantime, here is a detail shot showing how the mythical M3 weld tabs getting clamped between the orange piece and the black piece.

meatbeatz
Oh man! Trust me I know how it feels and I can see the amount of work you've put into this... :(

I've been working for many months trying to solve this problem and I've had several iterations on the drawing board with a very similar clamping mechanism to what you have here but I kept hitting a wall for one reason or another. There was also someone else on the forum that made an early announcement for a clamping rail concept but we never heard about it again.

Don't give up! Your case looks amazing. I love what you've done with venting for convection cooling of the internal PSU that works in both horizontal and vertical positions. It's good to see someone pushing forward with new case ideas and not just slapping rails in a box. Good luck!
Koryo
Dogma
I was actually looking forward to getting the 11u :(

Looks fabulous though thumbs up
meatbeatz
You could use M3 rectangular square nuts or t-slot nuts in place of the weld nuts but I'm not convinced about the practicality of having to fasten these to a module in terms of making it 'easier' to install/uninstall modules. This would only save you time if you were to swap modules around within the case or if the user had multiple of these cases. If you were to swap out from any other case you'd be back to having to fit and remove the screws/nuts to each module which is more fiddly than just screwing a module in and out of a rack. I can see there being an advantage if you wanted to remove a module and shuffle the others along without having to unscrew them all but that's about it. If you were to find a suitable rubber tape to take up the difference between face plates you'd be better off imo. The only downside to this is you can't see the screen print beneath the clamp.
Koryo

It would be a one time addition to each module. Once they are on all your modules, no more rack rash, unlock, swap, move, lock and yer done.
SYNTHEMESCandDRENCROM
Just have the 3.5s custom made with the rest of the package.
You could sell the 3.5s in amounts that people need.

Would really make your product completely unique and your own.

Because it is a really good design/idea.
KSS
Koryo wrote:

Simply submit that photo to the weld nut mfr asking for RFQ qty cost lead time and your challege is solved. Nice cases! Good idea!
Koryo
KSS wrote:
Simply submit that photo to the weld nut mfr asking for RFQ qty cost lead time and your challege is solved.

All the manufactures that have responded "no quoted" it. I'll have a quick look at Alibaba. Anyway, I've always wanted to make some die form tooling. Looks like now is my opportunity. It pains me however, the whole point of this concept was to get rid of custom, perpetually "out of stock" nut strips and rail extrusions.

KSS wrote:
Nice cases! Good idea!

Thank you.
Summa
If you make the distance between the "rails" slightly smaller than a 3U panel and add felt or some fabric underneath the clamps in order to not scratch the panels you wouldn't need screws or nuts at all.
Koryo
Summa wrote:
If you make the distance between the "rails" slightly smaller than a 3U panel and add felt or some fabric underneath the clamps in order to not scratch the panels you wouldn't need screws or nuts at all.

I have Bastl wood panel modules. That is to say, the varying thickness of panels makes a simple bar clamp not so easy to design, manufacture and execute.
Summa
Koryo wrote:
Summa wrote:

I have Bastl wood panel modules. That is to say, the varying thickness of panels makes a simple bar clamp not so easy to design, manufacture and execute.

well, I can see that as a potential problem, however I have a fairly large (or is it small, I dunno) system and I modules of many different manufacturers I would say that there's only one and that's AS panels that's a bit thicker (0.5mm?) but of course a ball wooden panel wouldn't work even if you did really thick felt lining.. anyway, good luck with your cases.
Audiodog
This case looks amazing, pls stick at. If you can resolve i'm confidant you have a winner on your hands. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for updates
Koryo
I'm very hesitant to clamp on the panel face. Fretting would be a serious issue. It would give a new name to "rack rash". I'll puzzle it but I'm leaning on making my own tabs.

...cuz I need to make two side by side 9U.

Koryo

Almost there. Custom tabs here I come. On the up side they will be uncompromising. nanners
Koryo
...or in color if you prefer.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1