MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Divide by N COM @ +/-15?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Divide by N COM @ +/-15?
Flareless
I'm working on a couple of Random Source's Divide by N COM modules. My goal is to get them into MU format.

The docs state that the module hasn't been tested with +/-15 volts. I was wondering if anyone has tested the module with this voltage

I could build a step-down circuit for the voltage but if I could run it at native +/-15 that'd be a bit more convenient.
Flareless
Anyone?
megaohm
Flareless wrote:
I'm working on a couple of Random Source's Divide by N COM modules. My goal is to get them into MU format.

The docs state that the module hasn't been tested with +/-15 volts. I was wondering if anyone has tested the module with this voltage

I could build a step-down circuit for the voltage but if I could run it at native +/-15 that'd be a bit more convenient.

It is doable and you do not have to step down with regulators (unless some chips depend on it?).
Unfortunately Random Source has elected to NOT include a schematic.
So which resistors need changing...who knows?!
You should email him and have him figure it out since he is preventing everyone else from doing so.

Already had to deal with a Random Source Serge module with incomplete documentation (VCFQ). Luckily, CGS sells a similar pcb and I was able to use that schematic. Couldn't find the Divide by N module on CGS but just looked quickly so maybe it's there.
forbin
If it is random source then it will probably be based on Jürgen Haible’s design which is still in some archives. It was also in the bergfotron advanced vco. It is quite different in design from the cgs divider.
cygmu
I guess it is more likely to be based on the Serge design, no?

From what I know of that --- never used or built one --- it contains a bit of CV processing, some CMOS based logic, and a voltage reference to do the comparisons. The only part that might be supply-voltage sensitive is the voltage reference, but the R*S version apparently uses a precision voltage source for that (not sure how it's implemented, zener diodes maybe?) so my somewhat educated guess is that it will work fine on +/-15V.

I am almost certain that nothing will explode so it might be worth just powering it up and giving it a try.
Flareless
Thanks so much for the replies guys. I'm going to look in to some of the things you suggested. I'll post my findings.

Thanks again thumbs up
forbin
Pretty sure it will be Jürgen’s design as random sauce has bought the rights to all then as well as working with serge.
cygmu
forbin wrote:
Pretty sure it will be Jürgen’s design as random sauce has bought the rights to all then as well as working with serge.

But the NCOM is a Serge module. I am not aware of a comparable (excuse the pun) module from Haible; are you?
the bad producer
Jürgen did do a divide by N:

http://jhaible.com/legacy/tonline_stuff/hjvcdbyn.gif

But I think the NCOM is the Serge one.
forbin
Sorry by mistake... Your absolutely right -- the NCOM is quite different from Jurgen's one and probably closer to CGS version...
cygmu
Ah, awesome the bad producer and forbin -- I want to study and build JH's version now!
Flareless
Follow up to the OP's question from the OP;

The Random Source Divide by NCOM seems to function fine with a +/-15 volt power supply. All tests provided to check the module's operation work as described and after over a month in my rig it hasn't burned my house down. Both good signs thumbs up

It's a pretty damn cool module!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1