MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Passive frame for 223e touch controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Passive frame for 223e touch controller
mutierend
BEMI and weedywhizz are both out of stock of passive frames for the 223e touch controller. Are there any other options besides putting it in a boat?
vgermuse
mutierend wrote:
BEMI and weedywhizz are both out of stock of passive frames for the 223e touch controller. Are there any other options besides putting it in a boat?

Hmm...if you could get the dimensions/drawing from either of those folks I bet you could have it 3D printed :-)
mirf59

I went to Michael's, and after finding some really great cinammon potpourri, I also found a picture frame that I gutted and fits the dimensions of the 222e control surface.

I'm guessing I'm the only Buchla shopper in that company's history.

stephentrask
mirf59 wrote:

I went to Michael's, and after finding some really great cinammon potpourri, I also found a picture frame that I gutted and fits the dimensions of the 222e control surface.

Was the picture frame an exact fit? What size? I was going to make my own case as $200 for what is basically a picture frame with a metal backing is a bit outrageous.
mirf59
stephentrask wrote:
mirf59 wrote:

Was the picture frame an exact fit? What size? I was going to make my own case as $200 for what is basically a picture frame with a metal backing is a bit outrageous.

It is not an exact fit on the Y axis, but it is perfect on the X axis.

I do not remember the exact dimensions. What I did was make a paper cutout that was the exact footprint of the control surface. I brought that to the crafts store, and walked around trying it out on different canned picture frames there.

I ended up finding a wood frame that fit like a glove (not an OJ glove) on the width, x-axis. I had maybe three inches excess space in the frame above the control surface. I went to Home Depot, cut a little pice of wood to fit in there, stained it, glued it into the gap.

I think it looks pretty classy. My all-in cost was about $25 or so.

I'll try to get a picture up here in a day or so.

I did have to cut out some of the frame backing so that the black ribbon cable could connect in back. So, the back is a bit of a horror show. But, who cares, right?

One drawback is the control surface does not fit inside the frame but rather rests on top of it. If I knocked it over by accident, it could land on the control surface, I suppose. I tried to deal with that by placing these plastic stoppers on the corners that rise above the flush surface of the frame. But, I couldn't get them to stay on, and it looked weird. So, I took them off.

Brian

stephentrask
mirf59 wrote:
stephentrask wrote:
mirf59 wrote:

I do not remember the exact dimensions. What I did was make a paper cutout that was the exact footprint of the control surface. I brought that to the crafts store, and walked around trying it out on different canned picture frames there.

I ended up finding a wood frame that fit like a glove (not an OJ glove) on the width, x-axis. I had maybe three inches excess space in the frame above the control surface. I went to Home Depot, cut a little pice of wood to fit in there, stained it, glued it into the gap.

I did have to cut out some of the frame backing so that the black ribbon cable could connect in back. So, the back is a bit of a horror show. But, who cares, right?

One drawback is the control surface does not fit inside the frame but rather rests on top of it. If I knocked it over by accident, it could land on the control surface, I suppose. I tried to deal with that by placing these plastic stoppers on the corners that rise above the flush surface of the frame. But, I couldn't get them to stay on, and it looked weird. So, I took them off.

Brian

Sounds nice. I'd love to see a picture. smile
mirf59
stephentrask wrote:
mirf59 wrote:
stephentrask wrote:
mirf59 wrote:

Brian

Sounds nice. I'd love to see a picture. smile

Here is a picture how it turned out:

stephentrask
That looks awesome! Thank you for sharing!
batchas
mutierend wrote:

Looking a the controller I was thinking you could make something temporary (could also be the solution depending what you find):
You could take a drawer on an old (bedroom) furniture, nightstand whatever, put it side upside-down and make the cut at the dimension you need for the 223e. Easy to cut is such a material, starting with a few holes to get the saw in.
If it's the right dimension (not too much clearance around) it would hold it right (no bending). I say this, because I recycled all the wood from all the old furnitures in my house when I moved, to make something else out of them and the drawers were perfect for what I needed.
Mostly very easy to make, does not need much tools. Even a hand-saw is sufficent. And can look pretty good depending what you find.
Just some ideas...

4 pieces of nice wood would also be quite easy to mount together to a frame.
__
|
__
|
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1