MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Split MIDI routing by channel?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Split MIDI routing by channel?
alanza
I often use a Beatstep Pro (MIDI in,out,through, all 1/8") to sequence my DX7 and would like to also use the MIDI to sequence an MS-20 mini, since using very long patch cables to send it CV/Gate can be annoying.

The DX7 has MIDI in/out/thru but is implemented (bc old) such that it will only respond to MIDI signals on channel one. The MS-20 only has MIDI in, and I believe also only responds to MIDI signals on channel one.

Probably a long shot, but is there a way of routing it so that the second row of the Beatstep Pro (usually MIDI channel 2) can sequence one instrument while the top row sequences the other, both over MIDI. i.e., is there some device that will take an incoming MIDI stream and send channel two out as "channel one" in one outlet and channel one out another? Rockin' Banana!
chvad
probably this:
http://midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm
Astrolabe23
I'm not sure if this is relevant to your DX-7 or not.

Blairio
From memory, early DX7's can be configured to receive on any midi channel, but only transmit on midi channel 1.

Yamaha used to make a great midi 'swiss army knife' midi module, I think called an MC4 (or something like that). Amongst its many capabilities was the ability to filter and split midi data flows, and also map input on one midi channel onto another midi channel.
Michael O.
A stock dx7 should be able to change its receiving midi channel (maybe like function 8 iirc), but changing to the special edition rom (readily available for like fifteen usd) allows you to change send channel as well, and provides other general midi upgrades.
alanza
Astrolabe23 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is relevant to your DX-7 or not.

love this worked perfectly!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1