MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack Power Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Eurorack Power Question
overthinker
Hi guys! I am revamping my 6U case and it is pretty packed with small, power hungry modules.

I currently have the ROW POWER 40 which supports maximum of +12@1.5A and is totally fine for the modules I am currently using.

However when I finish reassembling my case the power consumption will be +12@1700 and will house 32 modules. Which makes my ROW POWER 40 unusable.

What should I do? Are there any more powerful power modules I could use? I don't want to take out any of the modules or get a second power brick for just a 6U case. I have no doubt that someone encountered this and knows a way to solve it?

Would be a lot of help!

Also how would I connect 32 modules to just 13 flying bus board slots? Is it okay to put additional flying bus board cables on the existing ones thus increasing the slot count?

Edit:

Just found the Synthrotek Deluxe Power Module! It seems that it would save me as well as another 4hp! love

However I am still not sure about the connection of multiple flying bus cables one into another.
Astrolabe23
Here's my two cents, you can take it or leave it. How much are your 32 modules worth? My guess is at least $4,000. Do you really want to power 4k worth of modules with a $150 power supply and a bunch of flying buss cables. I would recommend researching some of the power threads on muffs and find a more robust solution to power such a large investment. Best of luck to you and happy wiggling!
arthurdent
This:

https://trogotronic.com/product/m15_power/

Several options on how much total power you want/need.
andybizarre
Why not simply add a second Row Power? They`re made for this type of wiring, just use your existing power block and chain them with the 4ms Barrel cable. The Row Power modules are regarded as quality clean PSUs, which is IMO more important than having fixed bus boards.
overthinker
andybizarre wrote:
Why not simply add a second Row Power? They`re made for this type of wiring, just use your existing power block and chain them with the 4ms Barrel cable. The Row Power modules are regarded as quality clean PSUs, which is IMO more important than having fixed bus boards.

Would I need another power brick as well? I am not sure how this type of thing works and it is pretty important not to mess up. hihi
MarcelP
overthinker wrote:
andybizarre wrote:

Would I need another power brick as well? I am not sure how this type of thing works and it is pretty important not to mess up. hihi

No - just get a powerbrick that can provide enough power for 2 Row Powers. The input power connector is simply paralleled (or looped through) to a second connector - the barrel connector then links 2 row powers to the same Powerbrick. I have several racks using this facility and it works very well.
overthinker
Hmm. I really wish I could sort out the power situation with just 4HP rather than getting a second module. :(

So is it not advisable to daisy chain flying bus cables if I do not exceed the power limit of the power supply?
MarcelP
overthinker wrote:
Hmm. I really wish I could sort out the power situation with just 4HP rather than getting a second module. :(

So is it not advisable to daisy chain flying bus cables if I do not exceed the power limit of the power supply?

I have daisy chained flying bus cables and it works - but only if the Powersupply has sufficient juice to feed the demand... number of module is generally neither here nor there - it is the total current demand. That’s the thing with squeezing so much hungry electronics in a box - the power consumption increases even if the size doesn’t. As Astrolabe points out above - scrimping (in terms of space and money) on the power arrangement for your lovely expensive collection of modules seems short-sighted. Is your case big enough to mount a self container powersupply inside it - so far as I know Doepfer supplies suitable things (other makes are available!).
2disbetter
32 modules is quite a few modules. Adding a second Row Power doubles your power headroom for 4 hp. I know space is precious, but I think in your case there really is no reason to waste what you've already spent on power.

2d
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1