MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Some noob questions about cases and power
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Some noob questions about cases and power
VCMdot
Hi everyone i just bought my first module (yay), a MI Braids, and within two or three days i'm gonna buy my case. And here it comes, my first question! It's peanut butter jelly time!
My final setup is gonna be this (or at least i think now)

Is it too little an 88 Hp case? Because when i watch this i see:

a)NO MULTIPLES (for my little experiences with a friend modular i found them very useful) but i could use stackables too;

b)NOT MANY MODULATION SOURCES! when i use reaktor 6 ( and ok digital wires are different from real ones) i build ensembles with at least 2 envs per voice, thing that i couldn't do here. but of course dpo can be self modulated and has an lfo, and maths too can be an lfo.

so knowing this, is it worth to buy a 6U 88 hp? i would have really liked a small system like this, much more portable and i would have more space for my lives but meeeen i don't really know. the price difference would be 70€

Second Question!!!! It's peanut butter jelly time!
When it comes to power, am i safe with any case with integrated (i don't really know the right term sorry) in the case or is it a case with a psu would be safe too? i heard that some of them get really hot sometimes..
Anyway I'm here waiting for answers, while watching my braids waiting to play it grin thank you guys
andybizarre
Get at least a 6U, better 9U. Any wiggler will make that recommendation to you. Your choice of modules is well thought out, although it`s hard to advise without knowing what you are about do with them, musically. You have covered modulation, VCAs, mixing, attenuation... this will keep you busy for a long time. Folks do great stuff with Maths and DPO alone.

Just get the biggest case you can afford.
MarcelP
VCMdot wrote:

My final setup is gonna be this (or at least i think now)

No - this isn’t your final setup - and you already know why... lack of modulation.

A case you can expand into makes sense particularly as you are starting out already full and you have identified an issue - lack of modulation.

Either method of applying power is safe, but PSU in the box is neater and you might have less earth problems as you (inevitably) expand. I started out with Row Power modules and then progressed to 2x Mantis and HEKs - so I now have a horrid collection of trailing leads, less than ideal earthing and warm power-bricks scattered across the carpet. It all works fine (or fine to my needs), but had I known where I was going to end up I would have picked a different route. It’s only a minor regret with the added power of hindsight so it doesn’t keep me up at night fretting!

Edit: nice choice of modules to start with! Once you start wiggling away your wants and needs will become pretty clear.

I tried getting Cinnamon as one of my first filters but each time I had Modular cash in my pocket it was unavailable, so I ended up with a rack full of other VCFs. I might look into trying to get it again...
VCMdot
[quote="MarcelP"]
VCMdot wrote:

Edit: nice choice of modules to start with! Once you start wiggling away your wants and needs will become pretty clear.

Thank you Marcel and thank you for the fast answer too!
About this do you think it's better to buy maths or veils first?
Braids has its own internal vca so buying maths would be a good choice to start using the FM input but maybe braids output would be too loud. Btw I know that mm maths can work as vca too so maybe maths is better what you think?
MarcelP
VCMdot wrote:

About this do you think it's better to buy maths or veils first?
Braids has its own internal vca so buying maths would be a good choice to start using the FM input but maybe braids output would be too loud. Btw I know that mm maths can work as vca too so maybe maths is better what you think?

I think Maths and Braids is a great starting point and will keep you busy; parameters on Braids change response depending on the voice so lots to explore, Maths is an entire country... you could probably get a filter before VCAs become necessary - certainly DPO will have you reaching for a VCA or two.

I would take the “Maths can be VCA” with a pinch of salt; it can have a VCA-ish effect and is an interesting patch exercise to make it do it but you would need to be a particularly nerdish synth bore, or desperate, to do things that way on a daily basis (sorry synth nerds! (But not sorry synth bores...)).

How will you be playing the modules? Keyboard, computer, sequencer, DAW, wishful thinking, prayer... What music are you planning to make, etc, it helps steer people’s suggestions and make feedback a bit more focused on your specific needs.
VCMdot
Oh yes of course! I'm a lot into techno music but of course I like to play everything. I usually make distorted synths and a lot of percussive sounds (dpo pluck function will be my breakfast everyday)! I'm going on modular to do some experiments too because I don't want to be stuck into this hard techno everyday!
I forgot to mention that I have a beatstep pro so sequencing and triggering are not a problem
Agawell
get a mantis - probably cheapest per hp pre-built case - and gives you a decent amount of expansion space
get a few intllijel hubs/plankton ninja star/headphone splitters - they are cheap
go slow - ie get a few modules at a time

and don't forget cables - 1/2 the number of sockets (including the bsp)

you'll know what you need when you need it - but modulation and vca would be next (and I'd look at blinds not veils) and then a disting
MarcelP
VCMdot wrote:
Oh yes of course! I'm a lot into techno music but of course I like to play everything. I usually make distorted synths and a lot of percussive sounds (dpo pluck function will be my breakfast everyday)! I'm going on modular to do some experiments too because I don't want to be stuck into this hard techno everyday!
I forgot to mention that I have a beatstep pro so sequencing and triggering are not a problem

Ah! BSP + Braids + Maths, thats a great combination to get started...add a VCF, DPO and VCA when you are ready, then a bit more modulation... Add a bit of random and you will soon be as far from techno as you can get; drones, and chill-out ambience for breakfast everyday! hihi
BenignToxicity
I agree that something like a Mantis is a great cost-effective solution.... but maybe a low cost 9u may be better? I started with 3u 104hp and thought that would last a while... but in reality, despite any planning, all that does is show you what else you want or need. Braids is great because it has a built-in quantizer and envelope... but I found I was in need of another quantizer for the other sources... especially random ones! (Do you have random sources?). A central point for clocks, triggers, and LFOs was needed... Pamela to the rescue. I defined these as needs... my wants are Clouds, a Morphagene, and a Strymon Magneto. Clouds is on its way... but I need another filter and some more VCAs before then. The 3u grew immediately to 6u... and I've just made it 9u with the avowed intent that that's the limit... but those empty spaces are just screaming out at me!

On a more serious note... I have found that I prefer a little more spacing than some of these high-density modules allow for. So... even if you don't plan to fill a 9u, my own experience is that spreading a smaller amount of modules out a little with some blanking plates makes the rig more playable.
Dr.Muff
I've bought this and need advise on how to get sound from it - any help would be great
https://www.adverts.ie/keyboards-and-synthesizers/doepfer-modular-inte rested-in-trades/14723376
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1