MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer LC6 wont power on and it's not the fuse(It was fuse)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer LC6 wont power on and it's not the fuse(It was fuse)
tedcri
My vintage edition LC6 with psu3 failed to power on after installing 2 Precission adders A-185-2 with the ”JP5” connector removed.

I first installed the 2 adders and the system worked without any issue. But then i removed the connector on both adders labeled ”JP5”
I did this when the case was turned off but the modules where still connected to the bus board. Afterwards i tried to turn the case back on again but nothing happened.

I removed all modules and checked the fuse which looked fine but i changed it anyway to the replacement fuse that came with the case.

The case still doesn’t power up. And no Leds at all turn on anywhere on the bus boards.

I tested a few of the modules in a second case and they seem fine. There was no smoke, or smell and everything looks physically fine.

What can it be? And where did i fuck up?

To me it seems logical that it has to do with the ”JP5” pin that i removed.
I did this to break the connection with the cv bus because they where influencing each other without any patching between them.
DMR
Could a screw or other conductive thing dropped into the case when you were removing modules?
erstlaub
Check it with a different IEC cable maybe?

Is the other fuse that it ships with a replacement or is it an alternative for use depending on what your country's voltage is doing?

Perhaps worth double checking that all the crimps and terminals are fully connected (with the power off obviously).

Next i'd probably put a multimeter on and test the switch/pins for continuity (again with it all unpowered).

Good luck, be sure to post what the issue is when you ID it, could save someone a headache down the line.
TemplarK
Could be the main fuse in the plug socket?
tedcri
I have a Low cost base as well so i tried the power cable from that one but didn't help.

The extra fuse I installed looked identical but the old one looked fine as well. So i don't think it's the fuse.

Is it even possible to short circuit both boards at the same time like that? Both modules where installed on the top row next to each other. And if i read the doepfer manual right the bottom board is on a separate power system.

The manual even says that if no lights turn on on the busboards. It has to be the fuse because it's almost impossible everything fails at the same time.
tedcri
TemplarK wrote:

Wait does the LC6 have 2 fuses? I only know about the one that's under the metal cover in a plastic container that you snap out.

Or do you mean like my house fuse?
The other case still works and i've tried just switching power cables.
Jefro
Idk about two fuses, but mine has one in the power connector. (I've never taken the metal panel off from inside the case.)
TemplarK
tedcri wrote:
TemplarK wrote:

Wait does the LC6 have 2 fuses? I only know about the one that's under the metal cover in a plastic container that you snap out.

All uk appliances have a fuse in the plug. Thats what i'm talking about the normal house fuse i guess you could call it.
erstlaub
tedcri wrote:
TemplarK wrote:

If 'under the metal cover' means what I think it does, then yes. There is a slow-blow fuse in a little drawer on the iec socket on the case (the part you plug the lead into and that has the power switch).

There is a little drawer between the switch and the inlet which pops open to reveal the fuse that I suspect needs replacing. If you look closely there is a tiny indent that you can pop a screwdriver in to level it open.

These fuses almost never look like they've blown when they do so do not trust a visual inspection.

Make sure to get the exact same spec and it needs to be slow blow, someone recently had this issue and bought quick blow and they just kept blowing because it was the wrong fuse.
TemplarK
erstlaub wrote:
tedcri wrote:
TemplarK wrote:

If 'under the metal cover' means what I think it does, then yes. There is a slow-blow fuse in a little drawer on the iec socket on the case (the part you plug the lead into and that has the power switch).

There is a little drawer between the switch and the inlet which pops open to reveal the fuse that I suspect needs replacing. If you look closely there is a tiny indent that you can pop a screwdriver in to level it open.

These fuses almost never look like they've blown when they do so do not trust a visual inspection.

Make sure to get the exact same spec and it needs to be slow blow, someone recently had this issue and bought quick blow and they just kept blowing because it was the wrong fuse.

Yes that was me xD Thanks for pointing that out lmao.
tedcri
haha so i actually just changed the 5v fuse that is pretty hard to find instead of just checking the easy to get to fuse on the backside of the unit next to the power supply.

So yea that one was blown to hell. Replaced it and everything works again.
I got confused by the manual and thought when they talked about the power supply they meant the one on the busboard that's why i found that one first.

Thanks guys!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1