MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

One case. One manufacturer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author One case. One manufacturer
SteeVtheRipper
If you were to build a 6u/9u case but were limited to having all your modules be from one manufacturer who would you choose? Who’s ecosystem would suit your needs and wants? Tell me why you chose them!
bradpickapiper
Intellijel just seems to make modules that are familiar but better then what’s already out there!
uniquepersonno2
SteeVtheRipper wrote:
If you were to build a 6u/9u case but were limited to having all your modules be from one manufacturer who would you choose? Who’s ecosystem would suit your needs and wants? Tell me why you chose them!

I'd either do...
Noise engineering: to me, their stuff has the best range of any manufacturer. They can do noisy, they can do melodic, they can do everywhere in between, and all their designs are on point.
Or, I'd do Mutable Instruments. They have the most full-featured and well-thought-out modules of any manufacturer I know. I'd need to cheat and get an external sequencer though...
flx
SteeVtheRipper wrote:
Who’s ecosystem would suit your needs and wants?

I've done this three (well, four) times now. I've got a 6U case from Bastl, 6U of Klangbau and 6U of Snazzy FX (plus some utilities, like mixer modules). It was never about my "needs" however. I chose those manufacturers because they were intruiging and I wanted to find out more about their philosophy and how I would use their systems. So I wanted to explore and actually make my needs fit into their lineup, not find a lineup to my needs.

It's really cool and in fact I have no interest in putting together my own custom mixed-manufacturer Eurorack system anymore. Being with one manufacturer only means I'm (mostly) limited by their module collection and it's very rewarding for me to work with that limitation. I might think while patching "hm, now I would love to have module x right now", but the manufacturer doesn't make it, so I have to either find a workaround with existing modules or just do things a completely different way or just make different music altogether. It made me think outside of the box a lot more than when I built my custom systems.

Some examples:

When using my Bastl case there are sequencers, snappy envelopes, audio samples and percussive elements. They have no typical VCOs though (but their filter does a great job to act as one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyLt3BaabQk&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D&in dex=51

Klangbau didn't have any typical sequencers for years (they just came out with one now), but they have nice VCOs and chaotic modules and are inspired by Hordijk, so I wouldn't really make any four on the floor beat driven patches but more drones and noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UsjC1n75Jo&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D&in dex=64

Snazzy FX are very chaotic and harsh and I learned to find musicality in distortion. Like, they have a triangle wave oscillator that you send through a LPF (which you really wouldn't do in a regular system) which then totally mangles everything and creates new overtones. Lots of waveshaping going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS9idy7cir4&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D&in dex=9

Of course I do use other equipment with the cases too every now and then and there have been some other manufacturers' modules mixed in as well. But the general idea for me is to get to know one manufacturer deeply and I frequently try to patch just their stuff too.

When starting with the Klangbau system, I made a "Noise Rack Diary":
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_YEdhavu8VpmGzBi4JKQs aZ

Here's a video with just three Klangbau modules and the Klangbau Spring Reverb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0qxM0HYh9I&list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_YEdhavu8V pmGzBi4JKQsaZ&index=1

Right now I'm trying out a new format with Serge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-3KnpwUouM&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D&in dex=2
sloth713
WMD, amazing audio related modules and even better modulation modules that offer tons of control. Also their audio and fx modules just have a sound I love
2disbetter
I would go either:

1010 Music

or

Orthogonal Devices

or

Percussa SSP

They can all do the same things with their catalog of products combined, and ironically cost all about the same if you get all 4 1010 modules (making it the most expensive brand, but you could argue you don't really need all 4), the 101/2 and 301, or the SSP.

I wouldn't ever want to do this because it would take away from the main strength of modular synthesis, but for the purposes of this thread, it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

2d
cptnal
I wouldn't, because it misses the mix-n-match opportunities that Euro provides. But for the sake of this interesting thought experiment I think I'd go for something like Ladik. Good to support the little guys, and a great range of stuff. SlayerBadger!
Montgomery Word
make noise, because make noise.
Futuresound
flx those are some unusual choices, I love it!

I’d go with either:

- Noise Engineering: yep, huge range of sounds and sequencing on tap. The lack of filter would be a nice limitation.
- Intellijel: Brilliant and understated design, I often discover that their version of whatever module works exactly the way I want.
- TipTop: you’re guaranteed to be able to make great techno.

Or maybe R*S Serge smile
Slomen
The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman
flx
Futuresound wrote:
flx those are some unusual choices, I love it!

Haha yes. Mutable Instruments, Make Noise, etc. are great, but they are so common and I've heard them so often that I'm really not interested in them at the moment, because I'd probably end up sounding/working just like what I already know. Modular synths for me are about discovery, so I'd like to place myself outside of my comfort zones every now and then. Of course I do a lot of research too and the big popular manufacturers are popular for good and valid reasons as well.
hdd
modular allows to make very unique system, but i found that choosing a manufacturer generally allows great interaction between modules.

I've personnally choose mostly mannequins and i would go with that if i had to choose only one, i love the sound identity and the general philosophy of modules in term in patching possibilities and the way to achieve complex thing in a simple way.

I would love to have an ADDAC and a blue lantern system too. i won't be against a makenoise and a noise engineering too XD.
hermbot
I did this with Make Noise and I love it: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/582718

I would like to do it with Doepfer.
Josef_K
I'd go for Doepfer probably, because of sheer amount of modules, spacious layouts and price. I do want to develop my DIY skills though so in reality I'd go Erica Synths, Befaco or Random Source (Serge) and mix in as few modules as possible from other manufacturers.
taylor12k
i've done that, and it's an Intellijel system in 104 7U. just wish they had some kind of sampler/looper/thing to round it out for me....

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/251333
js213
taylor12k wrote:
i've done that, and it's an Intellijel system in 104 7U. just wish they had some kind of sampler/looper/thing to round it out for me....

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/251333

I've just really gotten in to Intellijel and that would be my manufacturer of choice as well.
BenignToxicity
It's difficult. Not all manufacturers have the full range of what I want. I started with a Make Noise Cartesian. I like the company ethic, style, and the slight "view askew" that embraces the craziness. However, there are gaps in the range and my purchases since then have been from various other manufacturers.

Pico DSP... simple cheap utility effects. It's no Erbeverb... but it doesn't pretend to be.
Pamela's Workout... could have got a Tempi, but the Pam's options were too compelling.
Radio Music... simple cheap sample player with a twist.
Turing Machine... I have a Wogglebug, but the Turing machine is just so compelling for grabbing a usable sequence.
A-156 quantizer... no MN functional equivalent as far as I know.
Braids... simple access to a whole library of usable sounds that can be easily modified and modulated. No MN equivalent. (and Clouds is on its way... because... Clouds!)

So... I embrace the whole point of mix'n'match... but there is something compelling about a big case of Doepfer... when operated by a man in a white lab coat smile
grep
All Intellijel is so aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.
pugix
cptnal wrote:
I wouldn't, because it misses the mix-n-match opportunities that Euro provides. But for the sake of this interesting thought experiment I think I'd go for something like Ladik. Good to support the little guys, and a great range of stuff. SlayerBadger!

Agree with this. If you limit the size of the system, having only one make of modules would be a limitation I wouldn't want. I suppose if I could have as many modules as I want of one make, I'd either choose Ladik or WMD/SSF/WMD-SSF. But then I'd miss out on Loquelic Iteritas, etc..

When you go with one make, you are limiting yourself by the vision of the chief designer. When you go Make Noise or Mutable Instruments you are buying into a mind set. Both of those are great mindsets! But look how different they are. Why limit yourself to one or the other?

I've built my system by trying out a lot of modules. I sell ones that don't gel with my way of working. That way I get closer to a modular system that supports what I most want to do.

To answer the question fairly, if I could have 312 hp of one make, I'd probably say WMD/SSF/WMD-SSF. I could finally have a Synchrodyne and Expander!
darcmorcel
Montgomery Word wrote:
make noise, because make noise.

This.
dysonant
The more I mess with them the more I realize I may only need a Benjolin and Twin Peak. Kidding aside (though there was some seriousness to that statement) I have done this with Makenoise and Harvestman and my first modular was a PGH System 90.

The thing is, while it is aesthetically pleasing and comforting to know that all the modules will work well with each other, in many instances they do not all give me what I want.

For example, the Makenoise MMG is not my favorite filter. To my ears nearly every other filter I have used sounds better. I turn to Topobrillo MMF or Three Sisters or Twin Peak.

The Harvestman Double Andore MKII is a dynamics beast and has such a cool feature set, but when ever I put the envelopes up against Maths, Quadra or even the Mini-Slew it is just missing the response that sounds good to me.

You can apply this idea to any number of modules out there. I have really wanted a cohesive single manufacturer modular, but the variety of what is available is so varied and great I have found, over time I prefer to get what sounds best, has an appealing set of features and is reliable. I am now in a place where I would rather settle on the best modules for me and re-panel and re-knob everything to make it feel cohesive visually.

edit: I have basically done this for a few years with my performance case, refining it, re-orging it to get it to a place where it suits my needs and style. It is close to being where I want it to spend the effort to re-knob, but I am hesitant as I am sure I will change it at some point in the future. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/280031
tromasom
For functions and processing, I'd go 4ms. I like that their designs are focused on clocking ("pinging") across multiple modules. PEG, for example, is way more useful to me than, say, Maths.
js213
pugix wrote:
Agree with this. If you limit the size of the system, having only one make of modules would be a limitation I wouldn't want. I suppose if I could have as many modules as I want of one make, I'd either choose Ladik or WMD/SSF/WMD-SSF. But then I'd miss out on Loquelic Iteritas, etc..

When you go with one make, you are limiting yourself by the vision of the chief designer. When you go Make Noise or Mutable Instruments you are buying into a mind set. Both of those are great mindsets! But look how different they are. Why limit yourself to one or the other?

I completely agree with both of these points.....however, one thing to add (playing devil's advocate) is that there is something to be said for a single manufacturer's view. I generally find that there is a overall cohesiveness that comes from a single brand that you don't get from a mix-n-match approach. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to individual taste. Thankfully you can have a single manufacturer case sitting next to a case with variety and they work fine together.
dooj88
i think in terms of how i work, i'd go qu-bit. great sound sources, modulation options and sound processors as well. everything i could want. plus you don't need to decode the design to figure out functionality.

although i love the xaoc style and having a case of their stuff would be amazing, i don't believe they have a traditional oscillator
exoreality
I'd go with intellijel first because their modules do common functions but with just enough character to make them interesting and fun. Second build would be Make Noise, definitely more experimental. So I guess what I'm saying is that I would get my feet wet with intellijel first and then graduate to Make Noise FTW!
This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3