MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thunderbolt on PC questions...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Thunderbolt on PC questions...
nomadjames
Any of you guys familiar? I'm in the process of doing a build on a new studio computer. I'm generally an Apple guy, but I'm not getting what I want from Apple at a price I can afford, and am pretty much decided to build.

I was gonna go with the Skylake X chip, i7-7820X, base speed of 3.6ghz x 8 cores. I figure that should be future proof enough for years of Ableton abuse.

I am currently researching X299 motherboards, and there are a couple of offerings that look like they have Thunderbolt 3 ready to go.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these boards, or with running a Thunderbolt interface on a PC they want to share. I plan on documenting this build and throwing it up online so other people can take advantage of whatever I figure out.
Agawell
thunderbolt 3 is usb-c - it's the replacement for both thunderbolt and usb...

you can convert to older usb or thunderbolt or firewire using a dongle - not sure if there are any native usb-c audio interfaces yet

all new macs only have usb-c

not sure how popular they are on PCs - the race to the bottom for the 300€ laptop is probably still using usb-a
GGW
USB-C is a connector type. It is intended to be one connector to support all of the in/out formats on a computer. A USB-C connector will not support Thunderbolt if it is not available on the computer. There are not many thunderbolt PC boards, and the bigger problem is that the interface manufacturers are not being very positive about PC driver support. I just upgraded my PC and really wanted to get a thunderbolt interface, but gave up and went with a Pci card.
Soy Sos
I had to order this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pgBrxr/gigabyte-ga-z170x-ultra-gaming -atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-z170x-ultra-gaming

1st pass will not work with the adapter and Apollo interface I have.
I have a couple friends and my son advising me.
I'm in the same boat as you. Long time (since around '89) user bailing
on apple for my studio computer. We could chat sometime and I could
share my findings so far.
Oh damn, I just noticed you're in Pittsburgh too!
nomadjames
Currently thinking this is how I am going to go.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/X299-DESIGNARE-EX-rev-10#kf

It's expensive, but I need a computer that will work forever, so I guess I'm gonna spend the cash.

Current leader for the processor is 7820X Skylake.
Maco
check https://www.tonymacx86.com/

I get a designare MB and i have osx and windows with Thunderbolt 3, Fire wire and all compatible on osx
nomadjames
Been reading up on there. I can live with Windows 10 if it easier. Just want get this thing ripping.
phase ghost
Maco wrote:
check https://www.tonymacx86.com/

I get a designare MB and i have osx and windows with Thunderbolt 3, Fire wire and all compatible on osx

Hackintosh 4 life. If you can put a modular together, you can build one. If you do your homework on components, and follow the guides, they work just like native. I'm currently on my 3rd build.

I run a Windows drive for games, but OSX is so nice for audio. I don't think Windows has a version of IAC busses, and I use the shit out them.
synthetek
I don't have x299 I have a z270 Gigabyte Z270X-UD5 The thunderbolt 3 works fine with Windows 10 and I even use an apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter with some of my older interfaces with no problem. My previous system had a Gigabyte board with thunderbolt 2 in my experience Gigabyte has been the best for thunderbolt on PC.
nomadjames
Soy Sos wrote:
I had to order this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pgBrxr/gigabyte-ga-z170x-ultra-gaming -atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-z170x-ultra-gaming

I’ve been to your studio man!
nomadjames
Soy Sos wrote:
I had to order this:

Soy Sos: What processor are you building around?
If you are not getting Thunderbolt connection, you might have to move the card to a specific PCIe lane, sometimes there are conflicts between the card and other random things, based on which slot you have it in, as well as random BIOS settings specific to the motherboard.

Have you checked UAD forums? Super knowledgeable over there, they might address your specific problem.
nomadjames
synthetek wrote:
I don't have x299 I have a z270 Gigabyte Z270X-UD5 The thunderbolt 3 works fine with Windows 10 and I even use an apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter with some of my older interfaces with no problem. My previous system had a Gigabyte board with thunderbolt 2 in my experience Gigabyte has been the best for thunderbolt on PC.

So i can use the Apple adapter to run my Focusrite Safire Pro 40 through the onboard Thunderbolt 3 on the Designare board I plan on buying? In Windows?

I don't think I have the fortitude to try for a Hackintosh, tbh. If I can make an Ableton machine that runs in Windows 10, I'll deal. I just want to get it up and going in the shortest amount of time possible.
mritenburg
Agawell wrote:
thunderbolt 3 is usb-c - it's the replacement for both thunderbolt and usb...

you can convert to older usb or thunderbolt or firewire using a dongle - not sure if there are any native usb-c audio interfaces yet

all new macs only have usb-c

not sure how popular they are on PCs - the race to the bottom for the 300€ laptop is probably still using usb-a

USB 3.1 protocol over the USB-C connector operates at 10 gb/s
Thunderbolt 3 protocol over the USB-C connector operates at 40 gb/s

Not all systems with a USB-C connector support Thunderbolt protocol. It depends on the chipset and if the motherboard is designed to support Thunderbolt.

If the motherboard does not natively support Thunderbolt, there is no way to get the 40 gb/s speeds just using USB protocol and adapters.
rean1mator
been doing a lot of research for a pc build with thunderbolt support.

My build will be an Asus Prime Z370 motherboard that requires the 8th Gen Intel cpu's and purchase the thunderbolt add on card.

Not a whole of options for thunderbolt on the pc side.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1