MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

If you are considering going modular.....DO IT!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author If you are considering going modular.....DO IT!
jburzy
Sorry for this pointless post I just wanted to share my feelings and love for my newest obsession.

I fell in love with analog synthesizers about 2 years ago now and took my first step into the world of hardware with the minilogue. quickly outgrew that and upgraded to a prophet rev2 last year. However, not being a keyboard player I found myself spending all my time just designing cool new patches but then not really doing anything with them because the possibilities were just too limited. and that's when I found modular. I couldn't be happier with this decision. The hours I spend patching are seriously some of the happiest moments in my life. If anyone else is considering dipping their toe in modular the answer is...DO IT!
Parnelli
Welcome! I'd been waiting for decades to get into modular, and for me it is like a dream come true. I agree, just do it!

And refuse to be disappointed with the results I might add, it's all a learning journey!
cptnal
Agreed, but this advice should carry a health warning. screaming goo yo
AW198
Also agreed, so long as you don't need any money for things.

Like clothes, or food hihi
Parnelli
So long as it doesn't cut into the beer budget I can do without quite a lot of things! Even some food if I have enough "liquid bread"! Guinness ftw!
lisa
As with anything you want to get into the question is "what do you want to achieve"? Most people have no clue and thusly it's not possible to come to any educated conclusion on whether to "go for it" or not.

Some people just want to get a modular going and if that's the goal then you should just go for it.

Some people want to create and record music. For them there are several followup questions and whether or not they should go for it is a bit complicated.

My two cents. meh
J3RK
Always go for it. One can always "un-go for it" later if necessary. It's best not to spend one's life wondering if it should have been gone for.

w00t
lisa
Well, there are millions of possibilities so you have to choose what to go for. If you go for the "wrong" things for most of your life you might regret that when you realize what you actually would have liked to achieve and there isn't enough time left. Soo, instead of just going for whatever some people should perhaps put some time into thinking about what would make them happy in the long run.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
J3RK
A little thought never hurts.

For one to arrive at modular synthesizers though, SOME thought HAS to have occurred along the way.

***Insert "One does not simply arrive at modular synthesis" Boromir meme here.***
rishin
I just did it, and oh boy, it's like an off-switch to my unceasing internal monologue This is fun!
cloudswim
jburzy wrote:
Sorry for this pointless post I just wanted to share my feelings and love for my newest obsession.

I fell in love with analog synthesizers about 2 years ago now and took my first step into the world of hardware with the minilogue. quickly outgrew that and upgraded to a prophet rev2 last year. However, not being a keyboard player I found myself spending all my time just designing cool new patches but then not really doing anything with them because the possibilities were just too limited. and that's when I found modular. I couldn't be happier with this decision. The hours I spend patching are seriously some of the happiest moments in my life. If anyone else is considering dipping their toe in modular the answer is...DO IT!

The rev 2 has tons of modulation options.
dimleaffall
I'm wondering what the wigglers think of this small rig? Mostly Ambient music and noisy stuff?? Thanks! https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/606401
Dcramer
My wee 2 bits is that if you’re thinking of going modular, you should do just that; go modular.
Don’t go half modular with one of the many great tempting patchable synths out there but instead start buying individual modules that need to be patched.
This way you get a taste of the flexibility of a truly modular system. w00t
AW198
Dcramer wrote:
My wee 2 bits is that if you’re thinking of going modular, you should do just that; go modular.
Don’t go half modular with one of the many great tempting patchable synths out there but instead start buying individual modules that need to be patched.

I don't know... I wanted a taste of modular when I was looking at my first hardware synth and got a Microbrute, then a Mother 32. Then I got some modules, and another Mother 32. I don't really use the Microbrute anymore but I am a big fan of semimodular as long as all (or almost all) of the features are available through patching. It just speeds up a lot of patches for me seriously, i just don't get it but agreed that there's something about individual modules that just cries out to be experimented with love
nashsnazzy
Dcramer wrote:

I'm in the "is the water warm" camp. I went from analog mono synth to full on modular, and realized that it was a bit much to process. There are plenty of amazing patchable semi modulars out there with new ones popping up every day. The 0-coast is an amazing place to start.
The Junglechrist
Yep I do totaly agree that going modular after years of wanting to is a huge a relief and MASSIVE amount of fun. It has drasticly changed (in a good way) my way to aproach music and composition.

I would just say that going slowly is a very rewarding process as every new module is a revolution of its own and it bring a lot of surprises to discover all those weird new things you can now achieve with each new one.
circadianeyes
I'm taking the dive after playing around in VCV Rack and loving it. Got my power supply and my first module and case on the way!
Just another rookie
rishin wrote:
I just did it, and oh boy, it's like an off-switch to my unceasing internal monologue This is fun!

This! Exactly this!

I first powered up at the start of February.
Although my monologue is still muttering away........
Such a relief to actually achieve the want.

Every time a module turns up hyper
Just another rookie
rishin wrote:

This! Exactly this!

I first powered up at the start of February.
Although my monologue is still muttering away........
Such a relief to actually achieve the want.

Every time a module turns up hyper
bwhittington
rishin wrote:

Boy, having an internal monologue sounds pretty nice!

Headphones73
That is why I joined this forum, to get feedback to any questions I know I will surely have. But soon enough I’ll have a basic setup, and we shall see what I buy over the next year or so.
ixtern
Modulars are good if you like to spend more time patching modules to get new exciting sound then playing it smile If it is your favorite way of spending time, that's good.
Seriously: I prefer something between infinity-of-possibilities and ease-of-use. Something like semi-modules with external inputs-outputs but also with internal inter-connections to make pre-defined sound paths and quick controls.
starthief
ixtern wrote:
Modulars are good if you like to spend more time patching modules to get new exciting sound then playing it smile

That is sort of a half-truth.

To me sound design is a vital aspect of the art, and the possibilities of discovery are great fun. But with experience one builds up a mental patch library and sets of general rules for variations. I can put together a great sounding patch in seconds.

There are those who do live patching as a performance style. Modular isn't just for people sitting around in lab coats scratching their chins thoughtfully or monkeys connecting random points with no idea where they're going.

Getting into modular increased both the quantity and quality of my musical output, and the fun in the process.
cptnal
starthief wrote:
ixtern wrote:
Modulars are good if you like to spend more time patching modules to get new exciting sound then playing it smile

That is sort of a half-truth.

To me sound design is a vital aspect of the art, and the possibilities of discovery are great fun. But with experience one builds up a mental patch library and sets of general rules for variations. I can put together a great sounding patch in seconds.

There are those who do live patching as a performance style. Modular isn't just for people sitting around in lab coats scratching their chins thoughtfully or monkeys connecting random points with no idea where they're going.

Getting into modular increased both the quantity and quality of my musical output, and the fun in the process.

I'd argue that patching and playing are not mutually exclusive, and as Starthief points out, many a talented wiggler makes a successful career of doing just that.

Another way of looking at it is that a modular is not just something you plug a keyboard into and play.

EDIT: And welcome to the board, ixtern. Interesting times ahead. thumbs up
drinkcoaster
As someone who's about to dive into this whole thing, I couldn't be more excited.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2