MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer DIY kit#1 strange (PSU?) issue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer DIY kit#1 strange (PSU?) issue
THE96
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I suppose I have to start somewhere since I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere. Just to inform you I'm very new to this all, do not have very much experience with synth's or working with electronics however am very eager to learn.

A while ago I started building my modular system, I acquired all of my modules and 2 Doepfer DIY kit #1's second hand. (the kits come with the PSU with external trafo) I put the two kits in a case I built for them and for quite some time everything worked perfectly. However since yesterday there appears to be a problem that I really do not know how to fix.

The system suddenly turned off. I assumed the fuse had blown and when I checked today it turned out I was correct. However when I replaced the fuse the system powered on briefly and then powered off again, so I took out all the modules and started putting them back one by one. What happened however is the following.

The system doesn't even work with none of the modules plugged in anymore, which leads me to believe the PSU broke. So, since I have a second empty system ready to go I tried powering this one, it worked without anything in it. However the moment I plugged a module in the fuse blew again. After replacing the fuse and disconnecting the module it turned out that now this system too does not work anymore (i.e. it only turns on for a second after replacing the fuse, and then powers down again), even without any modules plugged in.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I'm wondering wether the external trafo might be causing the problem, what makes me doubt this however is the fact that before plugging in any of the modules into the second system it was working, all the correct lights on the PSU and busboards lit up.

Also, would this be the correct fuses to buy for this PSU:
http://uk.farnell.com/littelfuse/021802-5mxp/fuse-cartridge-2-5a-time- delay/dp/1271683

Something else worth noting might be that, while I did not recently change anything inside the case, I did move from the Netherlands to London around two weeks ago and I've been using this little plug converter since the plugs are different here. However as I said, the synth did work until now here in London. (that would be about two weeks, in which it's been used almost every day at least for in the last week)

Thank you all very much in advance!
THE96
Some pictures of how everything is looking at the moment for reference.

Rigo
Info on the fuses:

http://www.doepfer.de/faq/a100_faq.htm#Fuse
erstlaub
Are you using the exact same fuse? Someone else a while ago had bought quick blow fuses instead of slow blow ones which were popping instantly?
THE96
erstlaub wrote:
Are you using the exact same fuse? Someone else a while ago had bought quick blow fuses instead of slow blow ones which were popping instantly?

Well, I'm not completely sure actually, the fuses I've used so far I got at London Modular since I went there to ask what the trouble might be when the system broke down in the first place, and they were kind enough to supply me with some spare fuses they had laying around there. I didn't check the fuses but I doubt they'd be the wrong ones. (and the fact both PSU's failed with the original fuse in them leads me to believe it might be something different, however it could be worth looking into.)
LowOver
hi , if i see that right,you mixed up the cables on one of the distro boards...looks like on the upper right photo...but the angle may make me see that wrong...did you checked it ?

but if it worked some time , i´ll may be wrong
THE96
LowOver wrote:
hi , if i see that right,you mixed up the cables on one of the distro boards...looks like on the upper right photo...but the angle may make me see that wrong...did you checked it ?

but if it worked some time , i´ll may be wrong

Yeah I also sent those pictures to Doepfer and they asked me the same, the wires are actually connected the right way and as far as I remember they always have been. I double checked when the person from Doepfer mentioned it and they really are in correctly. (in both of the sides of the case) So I guess that's not the issue.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1