MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thoughts on a couple of qauntizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Thoughts on a couple of qauntizers
dan_p
I will be looking to get a qauntizer fairly soon, i am looking at the modcan 55b or the moon modular 565 with expansion. It needs to be, or converted to, banana jack. I can get the modcan supplied with bananas, not sure if this is an option on the moon, if not i would presume its easy enough to swap them out. Though not as clean as getting it shipped with them.

What are peoples thoughts/experiences with these modules, or anyone offer a wildcard?

Thanks

Dan
suitandtieguy
get the Modcan or modify a Synthesizers.com Q171.

the Moon will absolutely not be able to be converted to banana jacks due to its construction.
JohnLRice
What sort of things are you planning on quantizing . . .meaning what do you hope to accomplish? (like making a sequencer easier to accurately tune or getting correct scales out of a sample and hold source etc.
dan_p
Ahh, looks like we have a winner? Thanks for the info STG.

JLR, its for qauntizing a Klee, other stuff too like S&H, but mostly for the sequencer.

One thing I do notice is that the Modcan does +- 5v (10v pp) where as the moon was 0 to 10v, I presume this is so you can quantize LFO's and things that go negative? Is there any downside in losing a bit of range from the top (have I answered my own question??)? I am not entirely sure what range the Klee kicks out but would hazard a guess at 0 to 10? if this is the case could I offset the Klee to get the full range out of the qauntizer? Hopefully I can get power to the Klee and put a meter on it in the next couple of days.

Thanks
rezzn8r
I use a 55B to quantize my Klees, and it works great with all the of the Range settings on the Klees.

Lots of fun to be had! w00t
doctorvague
I'd recommend doing a search on the Moon quantizer to see what people had to say about it. Can't say I'd recommend that one myself. I owned the Modcan 55B and it worked great as far as no glitching and the tuning being good, etc.

If tuning is important to you (it is to me) that's something that needs to be taken into consideration over any other features a quantizer might have. A module that's supposed to tune voltages to notes that's 20 cents flat in the second octave (as a hypothetical example) is as useless as tits on a board as far as I'm concerned.
sduck
The klee can output up to 10v, maybe even more, and they're all positive volts, so if the modcan is really just -+5v you can't get the full range. Although looking over the modcan page on this I'm not sure I really understand how it works, so I'm quite likely wrong on this. Remember, each volt is an octave. But also remember, 5 octaves is a lot of range! Most of my sequences on the klee have been in the 1 or 2 octave settings, which puts out 3-4 octaves total depending on your pot settings. Having the modan dual quantizer would be fantastic I'd think, although I've also had good luck with just tuning the klee pots really accurately (easier to do in the lower settings of the range knob).
russma
FWIW, the Miniwave can act as a quantizer.
rezzn8r
idiotboy wrote:

yes.
the last bank on the standard rom, the last bank on the Socket Rocket rom, and of course the dedicated quantizer rom can all be used for this purpose.
ach_gott
sduck wrote:
The klee can output up to 10v, maybe even more, and they're all positive volts, so if the modcan is really just -+5v you can't get the full range. Although looking over the modcan page on this I'm not sure I really understand how it works, so I'm quite likely wrong on this. Remember, each volt is an octave. But also remember, 5 octaves is a lot of range! Most of my sequences on the klee have been in the 1 or 2 octave settings, which puts out 3-4 octaves total depending on your pot settings. Having the modan dual quantizer would be fantastic I'd think, although I've also had good luck with just tuning the klee pots really accurately (easier to do in the lower settings of the range knob).

Couldn't you bias the Klee output down 5v if you needed the full range? Just curious... I need a quantizer badly these days but my budget is zombie
pugix
ach_gott wrote:
sduck wrote:

Couldn't you bias the Klee output down 5v if you needed the full range? Just curious... I need a quantizer badly these days but my budget is zombie

I don't see why not. Depends on the application whether you need more than five octaves. I have the Modcan 55B and I like being able to quantize S&H outputs that go negative as well as positive.
dude
i have deep deep love for my modcan 55b.
acorkos
i have a cotk c958 dual quantizer. i probably would have bought the dotcom if it was available.
dan_p
Thanks, I'm sold on the 55b. Personally i think I may prefer having the negative range instead of more positive range. The more I think about the less usefull more than 5 octaves apears anyway. I doubt I would want more than that in practical use.

Dan
bwhittington
The 55b is a total win for its negative voltage range, though it is bulky at 2U and may a bit of overkill if you don't need all of it's features. The Dotcom Q171 has a jumper setting for 0-5v, 0-10v, or bipolar -5 to 5v making it a solid choice as well if you have primarily semitone use in mind, particularly for its price and additional density. The Q172 muddies the waters a bit, and the Q171/172 seems worth comparing with the 55b, with each having positives and negatives depending on your intended use.

The Moon quantizer seems to be a total fail, and the COTK quantizer only processes positive voltages, which is really just weird in my opinion unless no module in your system produces a negative voltage.

But . . . for banana use, why not the 55a?

Cheers,
Brian
kindredlost
bwhittington wrote:
...The Dotcom Q171 has a jumper setting for 0-5v, 0-10v, or bipolar -5 to 5v making it a solid choice as well if you have primarily semitone use in mind, particularly for its price and additional density. The Q172 muddies the waters a bit, and the Q171/172 seems worth comparing with the 55b, with each having positives and negatives depending on your intended use.

The Q171 is pretty new and I think it is a decievingly simple quantizer. There really isn't much there and by the same token not much to go wrong. It just works smoothly and accurately.

The Q172 is a nice companion and offers a bit more bells & whistles. Not exactly ground-breaking in design until you consider the extremely unique programmable scale features. But really, how many are buying a quantizer to give them weird scales? Well okay, I did but I do a lot of microtonal and alternate tuning stuff so this is perfect for me.

The Q171 already has major, minor, augmented and diminished at a switch with scale, root+5th and triad at a switch. The Q172 Aid module does one more channel of this along with semitone, 1/4 tone and three programmable sets. Also there is a bypass and transpose +/- oct switch.

-David
dude
bwhittington wrote:
The 55b is a total win for its negative voltage range, though it is bulky at 2U and may a bit of overkill if you don't need all of it's features. The Dotcom Q171 has a jumper setting for 0-5v, 0-10v, or bipolar -5 to 5v making it a solid choice as well if you have primarily semitone use in mind, particularly for its price and additional density. The Q172 muddies the waters a bit, and the Q171/172 seems worth comparing with the 55b, with each having positives and negatives depending on your intended use.

The Moon quantizer seems to be a total fail, and the COTK quantizer only processes positive voltages, which is really just weird in my opinion unless no module in your system produces a negative voltage.

But . . . for banana use, why not the 55a?

Cheers,
Brian

you may be right. i don't see its feature set as anything but fun. certainly not overkill. to me it is clearly the most well thought out device for such purposes i have come across. to each his own i guess. but also, how is 2u for a dual device bulky? seems like 70 or 80 percent-ish of motm shaped modules are 2u right?
bwhittington
dude wrote:

you may be right. i don't see its feature set as anything but fun. certainly not overkill. to me it is clearly the most well thought out device for such purposes i have come across. to each his own i guess. but also, how is 2u for a dual device bulky? seems like 70 or 80 percent-ish of motm shaped modules are 2u right?

Without a doubt, the feature set of the 55b is awesome. I wasn't thinking about it in terms of what is typical for MOTM 5U--that's a fair point. Though I would think that if someone's main interest from a quantizer was semitone steps on their sequencer, say, a 1U quad quantizer like Moon's (assuming it works) could be a better buy than the 55b. Four channels of 55b would be 4U, which obviously is bulkier than four channels in 1U. I could see that trade-off being a factor to someone's use, and the four-channel 2U Dotcom Q171/Q172 pair with scale options seems attractive as a step between those two options.

The 55b is the only one of those products that I've actually used, though, so that's just me rambling.

Cheers,
Brian
dude
all i can say is thanks for selling me your 55b! 8_)
dan_p
The .com 171and172 look great, but they are wider than motm? And i will have motm spaced rails. Also do the 171/172 require +5v?
schmidtc
dan_p wrote:
The .com 171and172 look great, but they are wider than motm? And i will have motm spaced rails. Also do the 171/172 require +5v?

Being that MOTM and Oakley don't make a quantizer, I think the 55b wins by default. Anyone know of another?
russma
dan_p wrote:

Yes, the Q171/172 require 5v. And yes, dotcom modules are wider than MOTM:

1 dotcom unit = 2.125 inches
1 motm unit = 1.75 inches
Attorks
doctorvague wrote:
A module that's supposed to tune voltages to notes that's 20 cents flat in the second octave (as a hypothetical example) is as useless as tits on a board as far as I'm concerned.

That might not be an issue of the quantizer but with unbuffered multing the CV's to the VCO's. I noticed this some time ago when I multed a CV to 2 Q106's and an Ian Fritz TZVCO. Scale was right out flat. First thought it was the TZVCO but only multing a CV to 2 Q106's also gave a flat scale to a lesser degree were connecting the CV to 1 Q106 the scale was was OK. There are some threads about buffered mults here but there is no consensus on the right method.
Attorks
idiotboy wrote:

I am doing that now (waiting for my Q171 ..). But the problem is you can't use the MiniWave for anything else anymore which makes it an expensive quantizer.
russma
True.

I'm probably going to grab a Q171 when I start getting paid again.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2