MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New MOOG IIIP replica !!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New MOOG IIIP replica !!!!
Rapcatz
They gonna build 40 units + sequencers

w00t
jjsynth
Holy cow.... (Off to buy lottery ticket)
JohnLRice
Weird that it's not mentioned on Moog's site yet but retailers like Sweetwater and Vintage King have it? hmmm.....

Pretty much the same prices as the IIIc, $35,000 for the IIIP and almost $9,800 for the dual sequencer.
coyoteous
Retail never sleeps (might have jumped the gun a little or had permission to leak prior to the big reveal... such as it is).

VK's announce actually shared with MMI on facebook... bet Moog goes live later today... pretty cool (single 960 cab for a mere $6K, too*).

Wish they'd used R.A. Moog on the older stuff, though.

*While I love the modular reissues, I'm so glad I got out of line for a single-digit serial Model 15... ended up spending the same amount and then some on MU since then, but at about four to five times the panel area and ten times the fun!
ranix
I can't justify purchases like this when there are real engineers carrying on the real Moog spirit in their own small companies to buy modules from, and the prices are so much better. If Moog sold individual modules it would be a lot easier to dip a few of the ones I want
robinkle
I love that moog is doing this, you want the real thing, this is it. It's out of my price range anyways. For the lesser purists, COTK and synth-werk can the same job for less money.

It would make sense if Moog started a Modular Voyager lineup, they could still sell at a premium compared to the competition, but it would be available to more people.
Lightsout
Ok this is what I really wanted! So cool! Time to sell the 55! I will soon see if the re-issues hold any value in the used market.
EMwhite
The timing of this is soooo... weird.

Too early for April Fools day, too late for NAMM.

Smart in a way that they already have the model 15 "P" case supply chain and packaging in house, plus the IIIc w/901s, etc. and selling this will remove the burden of shipping overseas (or lessen it).

I'd be interested in seeing how/if they have addressed gaps in original design vs. these reissues (capacity choices, sealed NOS AB pots, power supply design with accessory ports) or if construction will be very much like the way that Model 15s are built.

Dave Brown highlights the tempco and cap choice differences between the original and (Paul S's) reissue 921 here: http://modularsynthesis.com/moog/921/921.htm It's an interesting read and commentary.

Will it matter in the end? Maybe not, it's just nits and principle, but characterized by Dave as a "vast departure". He has a point. There is 'clone' (as in, the Synth-Work 901 clones, which I just took possession of) and there are claims about NOS original component sourcing.
coyoteous
EMwhite: In time for superbooth and moogfest, maybe?

As discussed, NAMM seems to be diminishing for particular gear... as witnessed by Moog and DSI not attending (yet increasing vs. AES for pro audio).

Still no Moog announcement? (haven't put on my protective gear for facebook yet today... maybe this is all Russian fake news, anyway)
EMwhite
Just read the Sweetwater web page. Retailers probably just released on schedule and Moog is late getting their web presence together.

They were probably also late for NAMM or maybe didn't want to just put it into the corner of that house only to have a modest response. Now they can build up some buzz ahead of Moogfest, but that is 3 mos away?!

I suppose from a merchandizing perspective, they've already got the channel (Sweetwater and others) so there isn't any real selling or buzz that they need to generate except to let people with deep pockets that they can now buy this.

Two problems with the write up. For some reason they say "in two tolex" cases. Looks like 3 to me?? And they spent a lot of effort trying to say how this is better than a 921 based system.

They should just release a Model 10; will probably sell many many more. Maybe they have an excess of filter complements and other parts and are trying to sell something bigger before they sell a Model 10/12.

Just hang in there guys ... in about 2-3 years, they will be selling their inventory of bespoke modules.
noddyspuncture
EMwhite wrote:
And they spent a lot of effort trying to say how this is better than a 921 based system.

That's been the general consensus since I can remember - 901's sound better than 921's. My R.A.Modular is filled with 901's, but just recently I found a '921' Model 15 and was going to go for it, just so that I could have both - but I didn't act quickly enough and I missed it..! confused
Mark11Audio
Here's the odd thing for me...

I've owned several Moog's over my life... a System 35+ extra cab and seq... blah, blah, blah...

But as a look over the modules in these cabinets, I have come to realize that many of those I wouldn't want and or need... so I agree with so many other of you have said: "Moog would do well by selling the modules individually."

If I could pick and choose what I wanted in those cabinets, maybe a different story... but then I think we'd all be "sticker shocked" woah if they posted "individual module" pricing...

Has anybody done that yet, just for fun? I mean... lets do some quick math here...

so I quickly counted a grand total of 39 modules in the IIIP cabinets, divided by $35,000.00 that equals roughly about $897.44 per module... seems a little steep for me...

eh, just me rambling on... even if I won $35k tonight, free and clear... I don't think I'd buy it... just seems to be more available choices out there, and some that sound very very close to that same Moog sound... if that's what you're after... but what do I know... ??? LOL

seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
EPTC
I love it - And this discussion!

Just a silly question: Can anyone price ten 901's (with needed A/B components) from Synth Werk? What would be needed to just make the oscillator section?

The NICE thing here for me is that mixer. The 984 is pretty heralded, isn't it? Would the YuSynth version carry it appropriately? Or is there something about the mixer itself that makes authentic original components to die for.

I'm glad Moog is making these because I want them healthy financially. I can't even fathom spending this money (or having it to spend) and have a fun idea of some mega collector whose room is filling up with System 35, 55, IIIC, 15 and now this one! It's pretty funny.

That said, maybe we could put the hat in and go in on one together. I count twelve commenters here (including myself) - Y'all in for $2700 each? Maybe we could timeshare the IIIP - Evens out to one month a year, a piece! Heck, at three separate cabs, we could rotate them in and out so you get a new one on timeshare every fourth month.

Joking - But will say they'll probably get a number of $5,000 sequencer purchasers. But probably not, considering the the Dotcom version. Who knows.

Fun to see, though. Looks great. I love the art and effort in these reproductions.
Synthoholic
See, now why didn't they consider offering a System 10?
josaka
EPTC wrote:

Just a silly question: Can anyone price ten 901's (with needed A/B components) from Synth Werk? What would be needed to just make the oscillator section?

ABBB is €1200 add €300 for each of the other osc .. not sure if there is a limit
to how many B can run off one A but its €3300 for 10 B osc and 1 A ..

for €5-6000 you can make a monster synth.. really dont get the point of paying 5 to 10x for less .. crazy.
Mark11Audio
josaka wrote:
EPTC wrote:

ABBB is €1200 add €300 for each of the other osc .. not sure if there is a limit
to how many B can run off one A but its €3300 for 10 B osc and 1 A ..

for €5-6000 you can make a monster synth.. really dont get the point of paying 5 to 10x for less .. crazy.

I know another wiggler had I "think" [6] 901B's for a single "A" driver... but I think the point that the common, 901A/BBB became a standard "Mini-Moog" type voice, [3] "B's" just sounds really really nice and rich, robust...

So having [3] sets of 901A/BBB also gices you [3] separate distinct voices... even if you have [1] 901A control [9] 901B's... you've limited yourself in flexibility. Because if you change the range switch on the 901A, it affects ALL of the 901B's...

But I couldn't agree with you more Jon, why pay such an absurd amount of money, when you can essentially get the "meat and potatoes" part of a system for less than half !?!?! seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it

I have [1] Synth-Werk 904A, and I am very happy with it.

Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
Mark11Audio
Rapcatz wrote:
They gonna build 40 units + sequencers

w00t

... and for those of you REALLY into this and want to be the first, Noisebug just posted, they have Serial Number #1 !!!!!!

from their Instagram post... woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah

noddyspuncture
Shouldn't that be #1001 - in keeping with tradition..?

Mark11Audio wrote:

EPTC
noddyspuncture wrote:
Shouldn't that be #1001 - in keeping with tradition..?

And one of THREE, at that.

ooh boy! would love to be able to drop by noisebug though. lucky californians.
Dave Peck
EPTC wrote:

The NICE thing here for me is that mixer. The 984 is pretty heralded, isn't it? .

Great thread about the Krisp1 clone of the matrix mixer (and some related topics) here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105578&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=50
josaka
Mark11Audio wrote:

I know another wiggler had I "think" [6] 901B's for a single "A" driver... but I think the point that the common, 901A/BBB became a standard "Mini-Moog" type voice, [3] "B's" just sounds really really nice and rich, robust...

So having [3] sets of 901A/BBB also gices you [3] separate distinct voices... even if you have [1] 901A control [9] 901B's... you've limited yourself in flexibility. Because if you change the range switch on the 901A, it affects ALL of the 901B's...

But I couldn't agree with you more Jon, why pay such an absurd amount of money, when you can essentially get the "meat and potatoes" part of a system for less than half !?!?! seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it

I have [1] Synth-Werk 904A, and I am very happy with it.

Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!

the 921 from mos lab and all the 921 (moog etc) that I have seen are all ABBB structured.. the 901 ABBB are not limited to three you can add at least 3 more I think.. Gerhard said I can just add more osc.. or you can buy 3 or 4 behringer D and have a poly .. smile
Wray
Where is the time that modular loosers like us could simply daydream about unobtainable gear. Another fantasy crushed with the IIIp.
Ranxerox
Can't understand why Moog are sinking funds and effort into this - didn't they get the memo that 5U is a dying format?? hmmm.....
JohnLRice
Ranxerox wrote:
Can't understand why Moog are sinking funds and effort into this - didn't they get the memo that 5U is a dying format?? hmmm.....
hihi
PeterDeVault
Mark11Audio wrote:

I may be the wiggler in question, or at least I am such a wiggler, and it is awesome to be such a wiggler. I remember a rumor of someone who had 9 Bs on one A, also courtesy of Synth-Werk. But the kicker on mine is that I have a 4-channel mixer normaled to each of the Bs, so i can dial in the waveform or filter or flange or whatever I want to each of those free-oscillating guys and then there are two four-channel mixers at the end to bring it all back together. It's 15 spaces wide for a single note, but, um, yeah, it's pretty darn cool.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3