MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bugbrand compilation
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Bugbrand compilation
chrisdermo
- SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED FOR VOL I & II.
However those that have had prior contact with me but didn't manage to submit yet - just send when you are ready and we'll see whether we can shoehorn it in somewhere.

https://0prmusic.bandcamp.com

Send submissions to 0premail@gmail.com, stating your artist name and track name as you'd like to be listed.

Until submissions close it's safe to assume there is still space on the comp, please just leave a comment stating your interest and I'll add you to the list. As mentioned somewhere below if we really do have a large amount of tracks I may split into 2 releases so don't worry! Multiple submissions are ok too, starting to think this may make a good annual/bi-annual series or something.

List of contributors:

Submitted:
indexofmetals
tron23
batchas
T. Jervell
Bunkdata
sandyb
tIB
SPIKE the percussionist
a100user
Meng Qi
Tom Bugs
Dogoftears
/\/\/\/
Phisynth
Weinglas
nilssonperanders
KNYST
laserpalace
DickMarker
Thermisonic
Miditerranean
chrisdermo
Otoskope
Duplan

'Tentative':
adamon
Ramases
a scanner darkly (in touch through lines forum)
Reality Checkpoint (pending chirper purchase)
fredguy
pritzcobinger

If you think anyone that may be interested in contributing hasn't seen this thread yet, please let them know!

Initial post & background

Hi everyone!

I am launching a new electronic music label next month focusing on cassette and digital releases and after a brief discussion with Tom thought it could be good to release a Bugbrand compilation, sort of inspired by Game of Life's 'Made of Wood' releases for Ciat Lonbarde instruments.

This thread is initially to gauge interest - here are my thoughts:

- I would fund a run of 50 tapes.
- I am not looking to make any money in doing this. The tapes would sell at cost and the digital release would be free for download and streaming. This means there would be no payment to any contributors, furthermore any physical copies for contributors would need to be paid for (somewhere in the region of £4-£5 per tape + shipping). The label venture for myself and my label partner is simply to create nicely packaged, good sounding audio documents for people that enjoy the tape format, world domination couldn't be farther from our minds. If anyone wanted multiple copies for themselves to sell on/give away or distribute themselves I have no issues with that whatsoever, potentially if people wanted enough we could increase the manufacturing run.

Rules of submission

- All tracks should comprise of Bugbrand sound sources only. This means all oscillators and creative processors (defined later) should be Bugbrand only. If you are not fortunate enough to own a Bugbrand sequencer or control surface etc but would like to use one with your bugs this would be entirely acceptable (cirklon, beatstep pro, sq-1, any gate/trigger/cv interface really whatever). If you do own a Bugbrand sequencer / means of control please do use it!
- 'Creative' processors are - any filters, waveshapers, distortion, ring mod, etc etc should be Bugbrand only.
- 'Mix' processors - we want to keep the Bug sound as pure as possible, however mix tools like eq, compression/limiting and delay/reverbs are allowed however you normally would do so. If you own a Bugbrand eq/compressor/ptdelay/spring tanker - please use them! What we're getting at here is please don't drench your recording in soundtoys plugins and 100% wet infinite reverbs and granular fx. Likewise please don't make your Roland space echo or strymon bluesky the focus of your piece.
- To that end please work within the confines of your Bugbrand setup a much as possible. It would be great if all envelopes/lfos/modulators etc were bugs, but understood if that's not possible. If you only own a chirper or a weevil - great! Minimal styles are welcome.
- Multitracking, overdubbing and editing - I think it's hopefully implied but tracks made via multitracking, overdubbing and editing / splicing sections, riffs, sequences or whatever together that may not be 'performable' as such are totally fine, if that's the way you work. Just please don't create a microsound granular piece Mr. Green
- I am ruling out 3rd party drum machines - any issues with this please make yourself heard!
- Please record in 24bit 44.1kHz. You can record however you like - via microphone, line in, to tape, on a wax cylinder etc - just please ensure your final 2track is 24bit 44.1kHz - this is a standard the majority of people will be able to adhere to, and most cassette manufacturers will want 44.1kHz files to transfer from. Mix for stereo! Tape crosstalk is not an issue in the same way as it is for vinyl so if you want to invert phases via your svfilters/crossover filters etc please do.
- Please keep track lengths sensible - max length would be 5mins with some SLIGHT wiggle room should people overshoot.
- Lists of modules/equipment used are highly encouraged and / or patch photos / diagrams welcome.
- Mastering will be completed by dogoftears who has very generously offered to do so for free. I'll create a running order from the submissions and send over to him to work his magic.
- Please refrain from posting your track online anywhere until the compilation has been released!! Your work is your own property of course but it would be nice to release this as a big bunch of awesome, previously unheard music.

I realise that's quite a lot of information to take in. The Bugbrand community has produced some fantastic music over the years, I think it would be awesome to showcase the variety of sounds and styles Tom's instruments inspire us to make.

Please let me know if you are interested in contributing and any opinions on what I've said below.

Cheers!
Chris
Reality Checkpoint
This is a great idea, and I will subscribe!

As yet, I have no BB, so nothing to contribute other than my enthusiasm for your project, but I am hoping to pick up a Chirper as my first foray in to the world of bugs just as soon as more are produced.

thumbs up
Ramases
I'll try to get something together.
Any idea on a deadline for submissions?
phisynth
I like the idea and would love to participate. But following these guidelines I'll miss my dual benjolin to trig my DRM's
chrisdermo
No deadline yet - it'll be a few months off at least as we're not launching til march and have I think 6 releases to get out of the way. Hopefully that'll be enough time for you to obtain a chirper reality checkpoint!

Also phisynth would 100% love for you to submit something. Is the benjolin just triggering/sequencing? If it's not contributing audio I'd class that as a controller - no different to triggering by a beatstep or anything else.

I would be aiming to showcase as wide a variety of styles as possible so multiple submissions would be more than welcome.
/\/\/\/
This is a great idea. I really enjoy hearing what's possible in Bug creations from other people, although I have to admit it seems hard to find a lot of "finished" works presented. I may be sending you something...
dogoftears
i'm into this and i'd volunteer to master it for free.
would definitely like to contribute a track.
chrisdermo
/\/\/\ And dogoftears - excellent!
tIB
I'm game for a track...
chrisdermo
tIB wrote:
I'm game for a track...

Yes! applause
a100user
This may give me the impetus to actually write some new music
dogoftears
can i use my radiomusic modules?? w00t
adamon
I may shoot for the "most elaborate use of PT-Delay + COF only" category... a nice wiiiiide window for the deadline will be greeeeeaaat thumbs up nanners
indexofmetals
I'd definitely be interested!
T. Jervell
Excellent idea and initiative w00t
Started to work on something today. If it works out as planned I would love to contribute thumbs up
chrisdermo
Awesome this is kicking off with interest!

Dogoftears - I'd be inclined to say no..... I don't really want to restrict people's creativity but the project is very much to showcase the bug sound as it is, a sampler module I guess could be loaded with bug samples? However if you feel you absolutely need it then I can't really stop you seriously, i just don't get it having heard your music I wouldn't doubt your abilities to create something truly awesome with just bug sound sources thumbs up
BugBrand
I can't wait to see/hear what comes in - so exciting - & great thanks to Chris for instigating.
Hopefully I may even get a chance to contribute once I'm settled back in Bristol shortly.
chrisdermo
Awesome Tom!

Updating the first post - I'm going to take up mr dogoftears on his generous mastering offer. Once I have all the tracks and decide a sequence I'll send them over to him to work his magic.

Also putting in a note about multitracking, overdubbing and editing - I think it's hopefully implied but tracks made via multitracking,overdubbing and editing / splicing sections, riffs, sequences or whatever together that may not be 'performable' as such are totally fine, if that's the way you work. Just please don't create a microsound granular piece Mr. Green
fredguy
I'll offer up a track if there's space. w00t
chrisdermo
Awesome! I'm not thinking about space at the moment - considering the max length of a cassette is 90mins we should be covered.
tIB
Maybe I'll need to cut down my 92 minute epic...
chrisdermo
tIB wrote:
Maybe I'll need to cut down my 92 minute epic...

'radio edit'? hihi
chrisdermo
Ok round up so far:

'Confirmed':
Myself,
Ramases,
Dogoftears
tIB
indexofmetals
fredguy
T. Jervell
sandyb (emptynoises) (in touch through lines forum)
Phisynth
Otoscope

'Tentative':
/\/\/\/
a100user
adamon
Tom Bugs
batchas
a scanner darkly (in touch through lines forum)
Reality Checkpoint (pending chirper purchase)

If I can move any tentatives to the confirmed list let me know. If everyone listed submitted a 5min track we'd be up to 80mins. If we actually get this kind of response I would consider splitting into 2 tapes and maybe setting up a series of 1 or 2 a year. Just thoughts though, let's see how this first one goes.

I'm going to say a very tentative deadline now of April 16th.
indexofmetals
just sent you my track. all bug other than recorded through an old Tweed tube amp with 15" speaker in a barn.
otoskope
Too late to join? Really would like to contribute. Didn't see this until now.
/Palle
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6