MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Post pics of your modular/studio setup!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 130, 131, 132  Next [all]
Author Post pics of your modular/studio setup!
spbaker
please note nothing is to scale 8)

whack this for a big one
amnesia
nice set up SPB...
I think I see an SKB :-)
brandon daniel
is that a 770? Nice...
JohnLRice
spbaker wrote:
please note nothing is to scale 8)

WARNING! Bank accounts may appear larger than actual size when viewing synth forums! Mr. Green
JohnLRice
This is fairly current but it doesn't include the COTK C1670. I'll do some new pics once I get a few more things done.

chamomileshark

"Dirty Knobby" (after the P.K.Dick'd sacred martian monolith) aka "The Black Tower", a Blacet, Wiard and Bananalogue frac (there are three multiples hanging in mid air out of shot.)

"The Blue Tower" Wiard 300 Series (Wogglebug behind), Wiard New Controller with Microwave 1 and Kenton Pro underneath.
ATOM
Really nice Digisound.

MrDys wrote:
I'm intrigued by the D-A converter.

The D-A converter module converts the digital data from the Digisound keyboard controller to cv and gate signals.

A friend of mine has a Digisound modular, I really like the sound and the module layout and preformance.

To bad those CEM ic's is hard to find, because almost all of the schematics are available on the net.
http://www.digisound80.co.uk/digisound/

ATOM
rlainhart
Here's mine, as of October or so:

parasitk
Wonderful view! love

(the gear is nice too hihi )
sandyb
that's a nice looking space Richard. i presume from the 4 speakers that you are running the Buchla in quad?

sandy
krisp14u
ATOM wrote:
Really nice Digisound.

A friend of mine has a Digisound modular, I really like the sound and the module layout and preformance.

To bad those CEM ic's is hard to find, because almost all of the schematics are available on the net.
http://www.digisound80.co.uk/digisound/

ATOM

I have wanted a Digisound for as long as I’ve been into modular
All the moduels are fully working just the pots need upgrading and a few jacks could do with replacing and cleaning
the D-A may be replaced as I don’t have the keyboard maybe with a 80-21 VCDO the miniwave of the 80's give me something to do with the 3340 ive been hording hihi
spbaker
rlainhart wrote:
Here's mine, as of October or so:

hi RIchard! welcome to Muff's you'll love it here!
what a set up and a view! SlayerBadger! we're not worthy w00t

brandon daniel wrote:
is that a 770? Nice...
yeah and it has one of those stories where it was originally owned by a organist lady for a small church in a coastal country town where she played it every sunday for a billion years, then the church closed and a friend of mine bought it at a garage sale for $50 or something ridiculous and then she found she wasn't using it and sold it on to me at a modest profit. it comes and goes in my production but its a wonderful thing to tinker on grin
rlainhart
Thanks, Sandy. Correct - I play and record in quad at home, and actually have some concerts coming up this Spring in which I'll be able to perform in quad for the first time.

Quote:
that's a nice looking space Richard. i presume from the 4 speakers that you are running the Buchla in quad?
flippantminister
nice to see mr. lainhart here! i love your "beautiful blue sky" album.
sandyb
rlainhart wrote:
Thanks, Sandy. Correct - I play and record in quad at home, and actually have some concerts coming up this Spring in which I'll be able to perform in quad for the first time.

ooh - that must be fun love
do you find it much of a pain doing the quad material at home and then usually having to do a stereo version, either live or for release?
rlainhart
Thanks, Flip - it's very kind of you to say so.

flippantminister wrote:
nice to see mr. lainhart here! i love your "beautiful blue sky" album.
rlainhart
It is fun, I have to say. It's not so much of a pain, as it's pretty simple to mix the 4 channels down to 2 without problems - it's more of a disappointment that there's no easy way for people to hear the music in quad. For example, "The Orchestra of the Damned", which is on "The Beautiful Blue Sky" album Flippant mentioned above, was recorded in quad, and it's really a much more powerful piece when heard that way instead of in stereo, as it is on the album. The large reverb spaces in quad are much more spacious, and in the dryer sections, you can really hear the motion of the voices swirling around you in a way that just doesn't come across in stereo.

I've thought a lot about how to present these recordings as I hear them. One way, of course, is surround encoding, but how many people really can play or listen to music in surround? And of course surround encoded material doesn't work in earphones, which is how many people listen to music these days. I've also thought about re-recording the pieces in my studio or some other space using four speakers and a binaural head microphone, but that has its problems too - first, binaural heads are massively expensive - Neumann's KU-100 dummy head binaural just recently went up to $11K from $8K, and I haven't found a place that will rent one as yet. And I'm not sure that my own studio is acoustically clean enough to support a sensitive mic re-recording, meaning I'd have to rent an appropriate space too.

That's really the main problem with recording in quad - how do you present it?

sandyb wrote:
ooh - that must be fun love
do you find it much of a pain doing the quad material at home and then usually having to do a stereo version, either live or for release?
sandyb
rlainhart wrote:

yes - that's what i was thinking. i'm interested in multi speaker set ups but it seems that unless you either do them in a sound installation type setting, or are fortunate enough to be able to play live somewhere with the necessary capabilities, there will be an inevitable compromise regarding what people actually end up hearing versus how the music is intended to be heard.
rezzn8r
sandyb wrote:
rlainhart wrote:

yes - that's what i was thinking. i'm interested in multi speaker set ups but it seems that unless you either do them in a sound installation type setting, or are fortunate enough to be able to play live somewhere with the necessary capabilities, there will be an inevitable compromise regarding what people actually end up hearing versus how the music is intended to be heard.

I've always been a be fan of live sound, but to realize the unique character of live quad performance is exciting.

I wonder if you could record a quadraphonic composition in 2 pieces (left/right in one recording, front/back in the second recording) and leave it to the listener to play the recordings simultaneously on 2 systems with appropriate speaker placement. This idea doesn't address the shortcomings regarding headphone use, though...
neandrewthal
rezzn8r wrote:
sandyb wrote:
rlainhart wrote:

I've always been a be fan of live sound, but to realize the unique character of live quad performance is exciting.

I wonder if you could record a quadraphonic composition in 2 pieces (left/right in one recording, front/back in the second recording) and leave it to the listener to play the recordings simultaneously on 2 systems with appropriate speaker placement. This idea doesn't address the shortcomings regarding headphone use, though...

Or better yet, 4 systems cool!

Coincidentally, pitchfork gave their next album, The Soft Bulletin, which was merely in stereo, 10.0 hihi
xart
http://flickr.com/photos/29870273@N02/3234982303/
Muff Wiggler
xart wrote:

SlayerBadger!

awesome dude

you have good taste 8)

thanks
parasitk
xart wrote:

Very nice setup.
dkcg
xart wrote:

Beautiful system! Now I see why you don't need any euro. I used to live in Chicago too, north side, by where the Nazis marched way back when.
JohnLRice
xart wrote:

Really nice system! And I love your room too! love I've dreamed for a very long time about having a large room with high ceilings, hard wood floors and brick walls . . . especially if I could make as much sound volume as I desired 24/7 and would NEVER get a complaint! very frustrating
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 130, 131, 132  Next [all]
Page 3 of 132