MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How much am I looking of I go second hand?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author How much am I looking of I go second hand?
Traffik
Hi guys, I'll be honest, I joined this group primarily to see how much second hand modules go for. I know I have to make 50 posts before I have access to that part of the forum.
To cut straight to the point I don't have a ton of cash to spend but would love to get into modular synthesis.
Im happy to build my own case. What I need to know is is it possible to build a starter rack on a tight budget with a view to adding more modules over time? If so, how much cash would I realistically need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
lisa
£1500, if you buy everything cheap and only cheap brands.
Joe.
If cash is a concern, then this is absolutely the wrong hobby to dabble in.

Not even joking.

Enjoy all of the wonderful software alternatives there are these days instead, they really are the best option when cash is a problem.
porphyrion
Check out Ladik & Doepfer in particular. DIY helps alot!
Always start with a case that is 'too big' (it will never remain that way).
Look out for v1.0 of modules that have since had next generation(s).
Some people tend to ditch the old versions while the v1's were actually pretty great already.

Good luck!
lisa
Getting a big case = paying a lot before you even get your first module. Why would one do that?

I got a used case as my first and sold it with no loss when I outgrew it.
cretaceousear
Second hand should be less than that.. [does some mental arithmetic, adds in PSU and patch cables.. hmm...].
Avoid fancy digital modules and stick with trad two of each of VCO/VCA/EG, plus VCF, LFO, noise and S&H.

DIY can save a bit, though a lot of people insist it doesn't, but you need to be happy with cheaper panel production methods, and learn soldering and have time to do it.

Check what things go for on EBay UK
sduck
Get on modulargrid and play around with small systems - it'll tell you how much they cost new approximately. Minus the case cost of course.

And download VCV Rack and experiment with virtual patching - while it's not a 1:1 accurate experience, it'll get your patching muscles flexing in the right direction.
racooniac
sduck wrote:
Get on modulargrid and play around with small systems - it'll tell you how much they cost new approximately.

plus you can set it up so it sends you emails when certain modules show up on the used market which is nice to get a feel for this modules real second hand price level after a while.
BenignToxicity
From what I've seen, the savings you get when buying used (current) models is not massive... but it can be significant. From looking at the lists (and having bought a couple of used modules here), a 15-20% saving would not be uncommon (e.g. a module retailing for $350 may well hit the board for $300). Now, as long as you don't screw it up... that module will be worth $300 if you want to sell or trade later.... the modules don't lose 20% every time they change hands. As far a a case is concerned, I started with one skiff, added another, then another... 20/20 hindsight tells me I should have gone for a bigger case to start with (even new, it would have cost me less than three skiffs). However, I can still do it... I have three perfectly good Make Noise skiffs that have a healthy residual value... so my options as still open... just with a hassle factor. I shall wait until they are full. That will be a while (laughs).
Mikeyg3k
Happy ending kit

Noise Reap modules, doepfer modules....

Ad infinitum cables

Maybe a nice way to start wiggling on a budget. Used modules are also a nice way to save but they seem to hold value mostly. You’d have to shop around.

Good Luck!!!
Traffik
Thanks guys for your replies.
I guess I knew it would be an expensive hobby to get into.
I've spent years using plugins and they are great but I miss the days of hardware and I love the idea of customisation.
I doubt my modest income as a craft beer brewer will stretch far enough....
Mikeyg3k
Look at these prices: http://noisereap.com/product-category/assembled/

Also - as mentioned above a few times, to my knowledge You will get the best savings from the DIY route. Again, time consuming and a slight learning curve. But there are certainly people out there who only build the modules they buy and they save big time.
authorless
Used modules usually go for about 80% of their new price.
chess1
Ladik, Noise Reap, Barton, and EMW are great options for cheap (but high quality). This will give you a little more wiggle room for a few higher end modules. If you decide to build a DIY case or cardboard travel box then look into the rails by Pulp Logic. Uzeus with flying busboard may also be an option to consider.
cretaceousear
Traffik wrote:
I doubt my modest income as a craft beer brewer will stretch far enough....

Trades for free beer could work! Guinness ftw!
gonkulator
You don't need a case, as such. All you need is a way to support your modules. You can use scrap wood or cardboard or anything else you have around. There are diy power supplies, or you can piece the components together, as long as you have good guidance. There are a lot of relatively inexpensive ways to get modules, as others have said. If I was in your situation, I would seriously consider saving up for something like the 0-Coast, or something similar.
gentle_attack
BenignToxicity wrote:
From what I've seen, the savings you get when buying used (current) models is not massive... but it can be significant. From looking at the lists (and having bought a couple of used modules here), a 15-20% saving would not be uncommon (e.g. a module retailing for $350 may well hit the board for $300). Now, as long as you don't screw it up... that module will be worth $300 if you want to sell or trade later.... the modules don't lose 20% every time they change hands. As far a a case is concerned, I started with one skiff, added another, then another... 20/20 hindsight tells me I should have gone for a bigger case to start with (even new, it would have cost me less than three skiffs). However, I can still do it... I have three perfectly good Make Noise skiffs that have a healthy residual value... so my options as still open... just with a hassle factor. I shall wait until they are full. That will be a while (laughs).

...okay they're full!

::we will sell no wine before it's time ad::
captjrab
Get a single voice together and slowly over a few years add modules you need. Its not bad after the initial splash to build up your system a few modules a year. Going slowly it is easier to absorb the cost as well as thouroghly getting to know what you already have and what you feel you are missing. Eventually, you will have a very personal collection.
MindMachine
chess1 wrote:
Ladik, Noise Reap, Barton, and EMW are great options for cheap (but high quality). This will give you a little more wiggle room for a few higher end modules. If you decide to build a DIY case or cardboard travel box then look into the rails by Pulp Logic. Uzeus with flying busboard may also be an option to consider.

I could see a wonderful instrument comprising of EMW and Ladik. Plenty of variety just in those two makers.
Dcramer
All good advice here, and of course if you’re more talented than I, you can learn to build em yourself thumbs up

I’m too stupid for DIY so I started out by buying used modules that were already on the market long enough to be cheap.

Of course that sucked me in and now I’m broke cry
DickMarker
It's never going to be cheap but if you're patient you can get excellent deals sometimes on used Doepfer etc and it won't cost you too much over time, especially if you're going to build your own case also.

Which brewery do you work at btw?
Lhet
Assuming you're decent with building things and have a handful of basic tools, and have some basic soldering skills and tools, you can get an a powered case for somewhere around $200: $150 for, say an Intellijel power supply + power adapter, $50 for rails+DC jack+screws+nuts+some power cables+some patch cables, ~$free for a cardboard case. That's assuming you have a lot of stuff lying around (soldering setup, multimeter probably, glue, etc), if not then a built and powered case will probably be cheaper..

From there I guess the "base" components would be an Oscillator, some sort of sequencer, probably a filter, some sort of envelope generator, a couple VCAs, and perhaps a output/mixer module, and that'd at least get you making sounds (though not necessarily interesting sounds if you got the most generic versions of each of those modules). Cost of that stuff miiiight be <$400 if you were really careful (or went with DIY kits), but you'd probably want to upgrade at least one or two of those basic modules into something fun rather than the most generic option.
petersandbach
If I were starting out I'd go for one of the excellent semi modular offerings from Moog, Make Noise, Dread box etc initially. No worries about case or power and many include sequencing or effects as well. A combination of 2 or 3 would come in around 1500 and be incredibly powerful, probably more so than the equivalent in cheap modules.
Lhet
petersandbach wrote:
If I were starting out I'd go for one of the excellent semi modular offerings from Moog, Make Noise, Dread box etc initially. No worries about case or power and many include sequencing or effects as well. A combination of 2 or 3 would come in around 1500 and be incredibly powerful, probably more so than the equivalent in cheap modules.

Any of those will definitely give you way more for the money starting out than any starting setup involving a case, but the tricky thing is that you still end up needing to sink the money into a case before picking up the second module to add on. They're probably still the "ideal" way to start, giving a ton of utility right at the beginning and not being outgrown as the setup grows, but if the goal is to shop around for great deals/build modules, then the case will need to be picked up before any of that can get started.
cretaceousear
He says he's building his own case - rails are nice to have, but not mandatory - you can fix the modules into wood strips with screws. Get a decent PSU to power the hoped for number of modules - job done.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2