MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

As anyone tried this?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author As anyone tried this?
smetak
String Butler

Yep, I have a Les Paul and, as usual, have a rough time keeping the G string in tune (have changed my tuning heads, but to no avail) - thought about getting this - seems like a simple solution - has anyone tried this? Does it really work? Should I bother?
bitflip
Interesting device, though i've never tried it.

Though i no longer have the LP waah , i found that winding the string over the peg hole (as opposed to under the hole) reduces string pressure on the nut and thus reduces the stiction. If that won't do the trick for you, perhaps a drop of tri-flow (a very light lube with PTFE in it) would do it.
sduck
That seems like an intriquing device. I'm re-entering the les paul space, having played strat variants pretty exclusively for some dozen years or more. This was always my pet peeve with les pauls - they just wouldn't stay in tune, especially the D and G strings. I'm going to experiment with different nuts, possibly roller ones if such a thing is available, and possibly some kind of nut lube. I have some stuff labeled Big Bends Nut Sauce that works really well with an angled headstock strat I have.
popvulture
I've always found that a couple extra wraps keeps the G stable.

Also of course there's the fact that the guitar isn't a perfect instrument and your G especially will always have tuning issues unless you try to go some crazy kind of Buzz Feiten route or whatever... but yep, mo wraps. razz
Shrigg
Les Paul tuning issues are usually nut related. Have a good tech recut the nut and lube it with nut butter and you should be good. I use a locking string wrap with good results on all my Gibsons. Another trick is to wind the strings upward on the tuning machines which lessens the break angle at the nut.
folpon
Are you guys saying that the g string going out of tune is a known thing about Les Pauls?

I can't tell you how many times I've idly wondered if other people notice that the g goes out of tune on their LPs more often than other strings. I thought I was just imagining it.
sduck
Sure is.
bitflip
Especially if it's wound.
smetak
Its a pain in the ass!

Even changed the tuning heads (something I have come to deeply regret), but with nil results.

The D is not much of a problem, but the friggin' G string! Argh!

I thought that it might be something with my guitar, but noticed that it is an inherent problem in the headstock design.

This guy explains it quite well:

Thanks for the suggestions - will give them a try - but am inclined to get one of these gadgets - not terribly expensive and seems quite simple to install.
PrimateSynthesis
sduck wrote:
Big Bends Nut Sauce

hihi
Shrigg
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
sduck wrote:
Big Bends Nut Sauce

hihi

Actually that's what I meant in my post above. Great stuff made by Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar tech. Highly recommend
phase ghost
The nut and headstock are why my "Les Paul" is a PRS SE 245. Saw a $1600 LP recently whose nut looked to have been cut by a blind man. Graphtech, apparently, makes a drop in nut for Gibson's. I'd probably try that first.
Zube
smetak wrote:
String Butler

Yep, I have a Les Paul and, as usual, have a rough time keeping the G string in tune (have changed my tuning heads, but to no avail) - thought about getting this - seems like a simple solution - has anyone tried this? Does it really work? Should I bother?

A guy local to me is a Les Paul freak and he swears by the String Butler. I've played one of his guitars (he had the full service- the string butler, a custom nut well oiled, and new tuners and saddles) and it does make a difference, I plan on at least getting one and the nut grease before this summer.
Dorme
folpon wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've idly wondered if other people notice that the g goes out of tune on their LPs more often than other strings. I thought book of ra play free here was just imagining it.

I know that feel.
Howie_Doodat
A terrible design combination of a single piece of chintzy mahogany timber, extra heavy machineheads and a huge route for the truss rod right at the nut. thats why you always see those things with their heads snapped off.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1