MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best pedal for boosting guitar to modular level
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Best pedal for boosting guitar to modular level
morgve
I have no space left in the rack for a preamp module, so I'm looking for external solutions to bring my raw electric guitar signal to modular level.

What would you recommend? Something that ideally doesn't colour the sound too much.

I've read about the LBP from EH for example, but never tried myself...

Thanks!
Risc_Terilia
TC Spark might be worth investigating - I have an EHX LPB-1 and it's a little too noisy IMO.
FraMauro
I use a Roland LS-2 Line switcher, it's got 20db of boost (I think, it's around that figure). You can pick them up cheap second hand. I've got mine at the end of my effects board with the other output from it going to my amp.
zuliani
Just was working through this problem myself! I had picked up a gain tile from PulpLogic, but wanted to keep it free for boosting and attenuating other signals in my modular setup...

Found a second-hand Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 for very cheap on Reverb, and it's been perfect. It is able to boost the volume enough to compete with my super-loud modules (Akemie's Taiko, I'm looking at you) and actually warms up the sound a surprising amount for an effects pedal.
[/url]
monads
What about the pedal from Zvex "Super Hard On"? Just use the appropriate cable on the 'out' to your modular? Or will this overdrive the signal if not to a mixer module of some sort? hmmm.....

If that's so....then perhaps look at the ADDAC200PI, Pedal Integrator module.
Euro Trash Bazooka
monads wrote:
What about the pedal from Zvex "Super Hard On"? Just use the appropriate cable on the 'out' to your modular? Or will this overdrive the signal if not to a mixer module of some sort? hmmm.....

If that's so....then perhaps look at the ADDAC200PI, Pedal Integrator module.

The Super Hard On is pretty much an LPB clone. You'll find the SHO circuit in ZVEX's Box Of Rock as well (it's a boost + overdrive.)

My 2 cents... Zvex pedals are cool and look nice but they're waaaay overpriced for what they do and what's inside them. And the "crackle" thing is annoying as hell. So although I like the SHO (I use a BOR clone I built as my main overdrive in my bass rig) I would suggest to look somewhere else as there might be cheaper alternatives that do the job just as well.
tnktni
I use an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 and it works for me. I would imagine any clean boost with 20db or so of boost would work for you.
projectdurge
What about something like the EP Booster by Xotic? It has plenty of boost on tap, a small size, and dip switches which adjust how much it colors the sound.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1