MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tintinnabuli?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Tintinnabuli?
phantompowered
I have long been enamored with the "tintinnabuli" or bell-like algorithmic compositional structures made famous by Arvo Part. Read up on someone who has made generative music with these structures here:

https://aestheticcomplexity.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/programming-arvo- part/

I'd be fascinated to bring this idea into a modular as a form of sequence generation. I feel like the Ornament and Crime may be able to get close - using the IntSeq internal CV sources for example - but not quite there yet. I haven't had the chance to experiment enough with it.

If I were aiming to make something like this possible, where might I look? One immediate idea is to code a similar generator into a programmable module like the OWL... which I don't have. My experience writing for Puredata, MAX and the like is incredibly minimal but I can really see some potential forming here.
Timmy
phantompowered wrote:
I have long been enamored with the "tintinnabuli" or bell-like algorithmic compositional structures made famous by Arvo Part. Read up on someone who has made generative music with these structures here:

I'd be fascinated to bring this idea into a modular as a form of sequence generation. I feel like the Ornament and Crime may be able to get close - using the IntSeq internal CV sources for example - but not quite there yet. I haven't had the chance to experiment enough with it.

If I were aiming to make something like this possible, where might I look? One immediate idea is to code a similar generator into a programmable module like the OWL... which I don't have. My experience writing for Puredata, MAX and the like is incredibly minimal but I can really see some potential forming here.

Yeah, Guy Birkin's blog is excellent, and some of his blog posts directly inspired features in O&C, not the least the inclusion of quite a few fractal integer sequences from the OEIS (the Online Encyclopaedia of Integer sequences, what a great web site!). In fact, I recall reading the blog post to which you link, and making a note somewhere to try to build generation of T-voice lines around an M-voice progression, itself generated from an OEIS sequence. The plan was to build that capability into the CopierMaschine app, but it never happened, and then we filled up all the storage on the MPU. However, it's something I'd still like to do, and to might be possible to squeeze it in. But really, a successor to O&C is needed which has access to bulk storage (ie an SD card) on which lots of and long integer sequences can be stored. Why not just generate them on-the-fly? Well, many of the algorithms for generating such sequences are recursive, and that's bad news on a small MPU in which all computation must occurring 60 microsecond slices between hardware interrupts (such is the life of a dedicated microprocessor...).
phantompowered
Timmy wrote:
phantompowered wrote:

Yeah, Guy Birkin's blog is excellent, and some of his blog posts directly inspired features in O&C, not the least the inclusion of quite a few fractal integer sequences from the OEIS (the Online Encyclopaedia of Integer sequences, what a great web site!). In fact, I recall reading the blog post to which you link, and making a note somewhere to try to build generation of T-voice lines around an M-voice progression, itself generated from an OEIS sequence. The plan was to build that capability into the CopierMaschine app, but it never happened, and then we filled up all the storage on the MPU. However, it's something I'd still like to do, and to might be possible to squeeze it in. But really, a successor to O&C is needed which has access to bulk storage (ie an SD card) on which lots of and long integer sequences can be stored. Why not just generate them on-the-fly? Well, many of the algorithms for generating such sequences are recursive, and that's bad news on a small MPU in which all computation must occurring 60 microsecond slices between hardware interrupts (such is the life of a dedicated microprocessor...).

Just thinking about an O+C successor is giving the the vapors, oh lordy!

It's really neat that CopierMaschine almost had that function. Thanks for the response! I have yet to really explore the fractal integer settings in the IntSeq bank but I am certainly going to take a closer look at them soon.
Timmy
phantompowered wrote:
Timmy wrote:
phantompowered wrote:

Just thinking about an O+C successor is giving the the vapors, oh lordy!

It's really neat that CopierMaschine almost had that function. Thanks for the response! I have yet to really explore the fractal integer settings in the IntSeq bank but I am certainly going to take a closer look at them soon.

The IntSeq sequences in O&C are only 128 values long (they were 256 values but we had to cut them back for space reasons), but you can set the start and end points of the loop and slide and/or expand and contract the loop window across those 128 values under voltage control. And the integers can be mapped to note scales and sub scales in a very large number of ways, so a lot of variation is possible, despite the limited number of integer sequences available. And in the Quantermain app, you can run four different sequences independently. But it would be nice to be able to choose from a bank of several hundred or so curated integer sequences taken from the OEIS, each maybe several thousand values long. That would be possible with SD card storage.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1