MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel noisy output, bleed from mod osc
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Easel noisy output, bleed from mod osc
triplizard
Hey, so due to some work stuff I hadn't played with my Easel in about a year. i recently got an Aux Expander so I pulled it out last night and noticed a couple of issues I certainly don't remember before. First of all the output is kind of noisy - audible hiss, so much so that I had to run it through a gate. Secondly, the Mod osc bleeds through to the output, even when the level two slider and output B knob are both all the way off. It's quiet but definitely there.

Curious if anybody else has run into this. Would the solution be sending it back to Buchla? I haven't contacted them yet - thought I'd try here first to see if somebody might have a quick and easy magical fix that I'm not thinking of.
Drillionaire
Which output are you listening to? I've noticed some bleed and weird audio issues when using the stereo 1/4" monitor jack on the panel of the 208.
triplizard
It's happening both with the headphones out and the 1/4" out on the side.
ghostcode
I don’t think I’ve heard a version of the easel that didn’t have some mod osc bleed. On the mod osc, I usually just turn the frequency down low and switch it to triangle when I’m not using it.
triplizard
ghostcode wrote:
I don’t think I’ve heard a version of the easel that didn’t have some mod osc bleed. On the mod osc, I usually just turn the frequency down low and switch it to triangle when I’m not using it.

I wonder if mine is worse than average. I was doing a Buchla Bongos type thing last night and even with the frequency low I could hear a noticeable consistent hum.
Drillionaire
Interesting. I've done a mod on a number of easels to remove the Mod osc bleed form the reverb return. Something similar might be able to be done to remove the bleed from the output as well.

The noise sounds like there could be an issue in the output section circuitry.
Drillionaire
triplizard wrote:
ghostcode wrote:

I wonder if mine is worse than average. I was doing a Buchla Bongos type thing last night and even with the frequency low I could hear a noticeable consistent hum.

Does the bleed go away if you switch the source of gate 2 to the external input or the complex oscillator?
triplizard
Actually I just did some more research and it turns out it's the reverb. If the reverb is all the way off there's no bleed through. If the reverb is on at all I can hear the mod osc quite clearly even when the mod osc levels are all the way down. (There's no bleed through from the complex osc into the reverb.) I'm assuming that's not expected behavior, right? I guess I can always not use the reverb when I don't want to hear Osc 2 but that's kind of like saying I can just stop using the stereo in my car when I'm running the A/C since they won't work at the same time. (Crappy analogy but you get what I mean.)
Drillionaire
This is a known issue in older revisions of the 208. The PCB has since been re-layed out to minimize this issue. I've fixed this issue with a modification that moves the reverb return away from the mod oscillator and completely removes the bleed. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to discuss getting this mod done.
triplizard
Drillionaire wrote:
This is a known issue in older revisions of the 208. The PCB has since been re-layed out to minimize this issue. I've fixed this issue with a modification that moves the reverb return away from the mod oscillator and completely removes the bleed. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to discuss getting this mod done.

Oh - I have a pretty early one so I guess that would make sense. Kind of odd that I don't remember it happening before, though.

Thanks for the offer - I'll PM you.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1