MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VCS3 rocks out
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author VCS3 rocks out
Scot Solida
I put this video in the Your Tunes Here forum, but it'll probably be better appreciated here. The reverb tank in my VCS3 recently gave up the ghost, but thanks to the always-helpful advice of papz, and eventually a NOS tank from boops, the old dear is up and running again. To celebrate, I made a new tune and this video.

papz
applause
Peake
Guinness ftw!
Scot Solida
thumbs up thanks for giving it a look, papz and Peake!
construct09
woah

That's a great track!

applause
Scot Solida
Thanks, construct09!
chamomileshark
very nice - compulsory watching for the many that say "the synthi is useless for melodic music". With stabilized oscillators it's no different in tunefullness from other older era VCO monosynths.
Scot Solida
chamomileshark wrote:
very nice - compulsory watching for the many that say "the synthi is useless for melodic music". With stabilized oscillators it's no different in tunefullness from other older era VCO monosynths.


Thanks. And you're right about the oscillators. It can be a bit of a chore to get the voltage inputs properly scaled at first, but once they are scaled and tuned, the oscillators stay in tune reasonably well. I usually have to re-tune maybe only once after a long day of playing. I actually tend to play my VCS3 melodically more often than not. Rockin' Banana!
chamomileshark
mine's a newer one with stabilization on all the oscillators I think - I can tune it fine with Oc 1 & 2 but can't do so with 3. I think it has a different tuning scaling so a bit pointless to get the stabilization perhaps. But the Osc 1 & 2 seem to be more or less in tune for months.
Scot Solida
chamomileshark wrote:
mine's a newer one with stabilization on all the oscillators I think - I can tune it fine with Oc 1 & 2 but can't do so with 3. I think it has a different tuning scaling so a bit pointless to get the stabilization perhaps. But the Osc 1 & 2 seem to be more or less in tune for months.


Mine is over forty years old, but still stays reasonably in tune. For hours, though, not months (I wish!)
pelican
my favorite demo record is the sounds of ems....got some cool melodic stuff on there. If you guys haven't heard it track it down
Scot Solida
pelican wrote:
my favorite demo record is the sounds of ems....got some cool melodic stuff on there. If you guys haven't heard it track it down


I'm always amazed by this one from Mike Hankinson. A Switched on Bach knock-off, to be sure, but still quite astonishing that it was done entirely with a VCS3.
J3RK
Really liked this track! I gave it a like over at Elektronauts, but thought I'd mention it here too. Nice work!
Scot Solida
Thanks!
chamomileshark
The Mike Hankinson album was apparently done on a "heavily modded" synthi - but that probably equates to the kind of thing now avialable as the factory mods.

And lets not forget Zorch in the 70s went on stage with 3 synthis and played melodic stuff. One half of Zorch was Howard Scarr which I didn't realize until recently. The other half was Basil Brooks.

They're still going as Zorch I think.
Scot Solida
chamomileshark wrote:
The Mike Hankinson album was apparently done on a "heavily modded" synthi - but that probably equates to the kind of thing now avialable as the factory mods.

And lets not forget Zorch in the 70s went on stage with 3 synthis and played melodic stuff. One half of Zorch was Howard Scarr which I didn't realize until recently. The other half was Basil Brooks.

They're still going as Zorch I think.


Howard's a talented man. Mods would explain a lot about the Hankinson album - there are patches on there that are not easy to imagine coming out of a stock VCS3.
papz
A Synthi A/VCS3 without mods is like an alcohol-free beer. hihi

Here is how to implement most, in a 100% reversible way, without any damage to the panel http://www.portabellabz.be/synthimods/index.html

You'll also find info to stabilize the oscillators on http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/ems/emsmods.html
Scot Solida
papz wrote:

Here is how to implement most, in a 100% reversible way, without any damage to the panel http://www.portabellabz.be/synthimods/index.html


Fantastic list of improvements!
aethyr
Super cool track and i hope to be proud synthi owner in the near future !
Scot Solida
Thanks! Don't be fooled, though - An EMS synth is far too independent a spirit to ever be owned. You'll quickly find out that you've entered into a mutual partnership. hihi
Hanz
Great video, really enjoyed that! Rockin' Banana!
Scot Solida
Thanks Hanz!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group