MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gap between rails
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Gap between rails
rembrandtvanrijn
Anyone have any novel solutions for filling in the gap between rails in my case? Just picked it up from a local guitar cab builder and looks great but sadly has the gaps between rails I asked to avoid. My flat gets pretty dusty so I can imagine the insides are going to get pretty clogged up over time.

unrecordings
a little black neoprene would slot in quite nicely, or maybe a bit of 3mm ply

or for a low tech approach a bit of cardboard wrapped lengthways in gaffa tape ?

was just trying to remember where I got my neoprene from last time - think it was actually thick draft excluder tape from Homebase/B&Q/Wickes
dooj88
i know it ain't pretty or directly answer your question, but when the modular is off i drape a pillowcase over it to keep dust out.
Power Mic 3K
I feel like a bead of silicone could take care of that. Just make sure to mask the surrounding area with tape.

Speaking of tape: maybe pinstriping tape would work?
cptnal
I thought it was just me, but maybe the west of Scotland is just generally dusty. Guinness ftw!
JohnLRice
Maybe go to a big hardware store and get a length of clear vinyl tubing that is small enough to squeeze into the gap but tight enough where it wont fall out? The advantage of clear tubing is that you could have LED lights behind it and it would look cool! Mr. Green
gonkulator
Power Mic 3K wrote:
I feel like a bead of silicone could take care of that.

Yes, plus it would help dampen those nasty rattles.
jimboburgess
Electro luminescent wire? Only down side to that is it runs off AC.
blt
I tend to track a metric fuck-ton of dust and debris into my house with little effort. I've noticed 99% of it settles on the tops and faces of gear, and very little of it makes it inside of anything that doesn't have a fan. My modular racks have gaps a plenty with no dust issues inside.

That being said if dust is an issue, a full cover is your best solution.
dooj88
jimboburgess wrote:

and now i'll be adapting a sound activated driver for EL wire sequencers to work with 3.5mm jacks..

some of the 5u guys think euro is blinkey and toy-like? well i'll show em!
Zek
It's not bad to have a little space, for the heat to go out of the case.
BenignToxicity
Local DIY store... measure the gap and get a couple of lengths of aluminium bar (48" x 1/2" x the gap width). You can usually get it 1/8" 3/16" or 1/4" thick. Pad out the back half/three-quarters to a snug fit (masking tape) and push it into place. Non-permanent, non-marking and should merge in nicely with the rails.
ersatzplanet
jimboburgess wrote:

Try those LED tape strips, the ones with a surface mounted LED every inch or so on a cuttable tape backing. They can cycle colors and run on DC.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1