MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Chaos wave versus Random wave
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Chaos wave versus Random wave
stephenmendes
I notice that some LFO's have wave type: Chaos

as well as wave type: Random

Can anybody explain what's the difference between these two ?

thanks
Ockeghem
The math equations are a big part of the Chaos generators.
There is randomness and there is pseudo-randomness (which can sound more or less the same to the uninitiated) hihi
Ian Fritz is the man to explain this, but I think that the chaos as implemented in the Chaotica module has a certain ebb and flow that "true" randomness (a good Krell patch?) does not necessarily demonstrate.
Ockeghem
Of course, I tend to think of LFOs as cyclic, repeating waveforms.
Chaos and randomness don't really do that, so... seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
JohnLRice
stephenmendes wrote:
I notice that some LFO's have wave type: Chaos

as well as wave type: Random

Can anybody explain what's the difference between these two ?

thanks
I may be wrong but I think of Random as filtered noise and Chaos as randomly modulated Random? hmmm..... spinning
PrimateSynthesis
JohnLRice wrote:
I may be wrong but I think of Random as filtered noise and Chaos as randomly modulated Random? hmmm..... spinning

So you are saying, random is noise through a fixed filter (the MOTM-101 calls it "Slow"), and chaos is noise through a modulated VCF?

I thought random was S&H noise (ie. random voltages) seriously, i just don't get it

I'm also thinking none of these words have established definitions as far as synth outputs go. It's just how the designer labels things.
MrNezumi
Chaos is deterministic and random is non-deterministic.
JohnLRice
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

So you are saying, random is noise through a fixed filter (the MOTM-101 calls it "Slow"), and chaos is noise through a modulated VCF?

I thought random was S&H noise (ie. random voltages) seriously, i just don't get it

I'm also thinking none of these words have established definitions as far as synth outputs go. It's just how the designer labels things.
I was mainly saying I was talking outa my ass without thinking too hard about it. Mr. Green
Dcramer
Chaos will get you through times of no Random better than Random will get you through times of no Chaos POW!
Actually; I’ve bought three of the Fritz modules love and watching them on a scope as well as using them and reading Fritz’s info has lead me to understand that Random is unpredictable; anything can happen next.
Chaos, though, is like the weather (theoretical link) in that it’s impossible to know exactly what will happen next, but it sorta follows a direction.

I created a giant Chaos driven patch and got some very interesting results, Fritz even gave it his nod of approval oops

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=191514&highlight=
PrimateSynthesis
JohnLRice wrote:
I was mainly saying I was talking outa my ass without thinking too hard about it. Mr. Green

Now that the secret is out, we can all have 17,000 posts w00t
PrimateSynthesis
Although John has an idea, take a VCF that can go well below audio range, send noise into it, then use the output to modulate its frequency.
JohnLRice
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Now that the secret is out, we can all have 17,000 posts w00t
thumbs up In modern society it is critical to have the most internet thingies. Pokeout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1