MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rapid fire thoughts on a simple first build?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Rapid fire thoughts on a simple first build?
placebo92

Trying to fill my first case and am thinking of buying all of these in one swift go. Does this look like a setup with enough possibilities that it would keep someone busy for awhile?
Would mainly be trying to do droney evolving ambient stuff for now.

Maybe I'll leave out the Dixie, seems a bit unnecessary on second thought.

I think it looks pretty good, but as I won't be able to afford anything else for quite some time after this I would love a few opinions for peace of mind before I pull the trigger.

Thank you so much!!

PS: sorry for flooding the sub.. I promise this is the last abnoxious post!
mskala
I'd leave out the Rosie. Output modules are seldom needed, especially in small systems. Other than that, it looks reasonable. How are you planning to control it?
technicoloraudio
What are you using to generate gates and triggers?
starthief
I'd get some envelopes in there -- O_C can do them, but having gone that route myself, I found I greatly preferred hands-on control.

To me, envelopes are much more important than LFOs. I'm not saying don't get the Batumi, but maybe start with a Quadra or a Maths.
BillLynes
What are you going to use as a power supply?
alanza
I think this is sort of fine, although my bet is you'll discover you're missing the ability to create envelopes on the outputs of Mangrove, Dixie and/or Sisters, and would love to be able to submix some more.

Drones are fine, but most "drones" actually do involve some interesting variations of pitch that might go beyond what you can do with the Batumi.

Maths would help a little with that. Maybe a sequencer.
jburzy
+1 to ditch the rosie. get a maths. it can do so much more than just envelopes. I find it most useful as a slew limiter, which is something else that you are missing.
placebo92
Hey everyone. Thank you for the replies.

Just to clear some stuff up,

-I will be controlling this systems gate and cv with the Synthstrom Deluge for now with help from the O_C. At least that's my plan. I really don't know what I will use the O_c for yet there's so many functions. Maybe a voltage block downthe line to get all the control inside.

-to those recommending the Maths, do you think I should skip the rings for now and get that instead? It's envelopes lfos and slew limiters do look useful. Yet the Rings could add some really nice timbral variation.. Another thing I am debating is the Peaks (dead mans catch) this also has the power of asr's. Between that or Maths is a tough call.

-also the power will be from a Synthrotek Deluxe power that came with my case, should have included that probably.

-those saying to ditch the rosie, is it not needed at all to have it as a last mix section and to bring down the levels before putting it in a mixer?? This is something that confuses me a bit.

- I am also considering buying a Sonic Potions Mal 2 to add a bit of randomization in the mix. This little module looks really cool. Simple and fun.
void23
placebo92 wrote:

-I will be controlling this systems gate and cv with the Synthstrom Deluge for now with help from the O_C. At least that's my plan. I really don't know what I will use the O_c for yet there's so many functions. Maybe a voltage block downthe line to get all the control inside.

-to those recommending the Maths, do you think I should skip the rings for now and get that instead? It's envelopes lfos and slew limiters do look useful. Yet the Rings could add some really nice timbral variation.. Another thing I am debating is the Peaks (dead mans catch) this also has the power of asr's. Between that or Maths is a tough call.

-also the power will be from a Synthrotek Deluxe power that came with my case, should have included that probably.

-those saying to ditch the rosie, is it not needed at all to have it as a last mix section and to bring down the levels before putting it in a mixer?? This is something that confuses me a bit.

- I am also considering buying a Sonic Potions Mal 2 to add a bit of randomization in the mix. This little module looks really cool. Simple and fun.

If you actually spend the time with it, you'll learn a lot from having a Maths. As for output modules, most decent mixers with a trim control (Mackie VLZs for example) can handle the euro level signal just fine.

Other comments ... when I first started, adding my first clocking module really opened things up for me. It was a Doepfer A-160 specifically, but there are many options. Another nice to have would be a sample and hold to tame the modulation when needed, maybe a Kinks for it's additional features.
starthief
I would hold off on the O_C until/unless you have a specific use case for it. Likewise, the extra stuff in Dead Man's Catch is generally already in Disting or can be done with Maths. Disting and Maths can both do a ton of things and also help you identify what other modules you might want to add, to free them for other uses.

Also: with a square wave source that reliably tracks 1V/OCT, you can get very similar sounds out of a Maths channel than you can get out of Mangrove.

I had a Rings early on and found it inspiring and fun to experiment with, thanks to the audio input.

So I would say: start with Dixie, Rings, Sisters, the quad VCA, Maths and Disting. Get to know those and figure out what feels like it's missing. Then add Batumi, an LPG, another VCO, O_C, whatever comes to mind.
mskala
placebo92 wrote:

If you're putting it into an external mixer, the external mixer will almost certainly be able to accept modular levels directly. You can probably also turn down the volume on, for instance, your VCA module.
placebo92
void23 wrote:
placebo92 wrote:

If you actually spend the time with it, you'll learn a lot from having a Maths. As for output modules, most decent mixers with a trim control (Mackie VLZs for example) can handle the euro level signal just fine.

Other comments ... when I first started, adding my first clocking module really opened things up for me. It was a Doepfer A-160 specifically, but there are many options. Another nice to have would be a sample and hold to tame the modulation when needed, maybe a Kinks for it's additional features.

That's nice to hear as I have a Mackie vlz mixer! Will cross the Rosie off my list. Ya I think the Maths does sound cool, I ordered one today. I wanted my rack to be a special snowflake but in the end it must conform..

I have considered getting pamela's new workout or the Tempi for clocking. I was leaning toward pam's but now with the O_C too I feel like I'll have too many menu's to look through, so maybe the Tempi. First I'd like to learn the functionality of the O_C and the Sonic Potions Mal-2 which I have coming too to see if I even really need a clock source.. I imagine it would be useful though.

The Kinks looks interesting but I don't really understand it's other features. Maybe you could help me out there? the SIGN function inverts signals and rectifies waves. So ya that sounds pretty cool?
The logic feature sounds kind of like a mixer but there must be something I'm not getting there too?

I'm clueless.
placebo92
starthief wrote:
I would hold off on the O_C until/unless you have a specific use case for it. Likewise, the extra stuff in Dead Man's Catch is generally already in Disting or can be done with Maths. Disting and Maths can both do a ton of things and also help you identify what other modules you might want to add, to free them for other uses.

Also: with a square wave source that reliably tracks 1V/OCT, you can get very similar sounds out of a Maths channel than you can get out of Mangrove.

I had a Rings early on and found it inspiring and fun to experiment with, thanks to the audio input.

So I would say: start with Dixie, Rings, Sisters, the quad VCA, Maths and Disting. Get to know those and figure out what feels like it's missing. Then add Batumi, an LPG, another VCO, O_C, whatever comes to mind.

But maybe with the Mangrove+Maths you could get even cooler sounds...? I really have no idea. I like the sound of the mangrove in the demos though.
That seems like a good plan, though I have already slightly deviated from it it;s a similar idea.

So far I have a Maths and a Batumi on the way, and I have a O_C on the way too because I found a pretty good price on a prebuilt.. Hope I don't regret that, and a Sonic Potions Mal 2 for some randomness.

What's left is I think I'll order the MI Rings, Kinks (for S&H) and the Veils. And maybe the Ustep.. I can't decide if I need that one.

I really have no idea what I'm doing. It's like money has lost it's purpose in this Modular fever I've been in
Koryo
Ah ta ta ta ta. Keep the Rosie if you already have it. Gives you an output level and an effects send/return.

placebo92
Koryo wrote:
Ah ta ta ta ta. Keep the Rosie if you already have it. Gives you an output level and an effects send/return.

Could I not just use the send/return on my hardware mixer as well?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1