MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The thread where we finish our backlogs...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author The thread where we finish our backlogs...
Revok
...or at least put a dent in them. I can't be the only one with PCB's lying around that are old enough to read and write. This is a motivational thread to complete those dusty boards. Please share your results and feel free to post in thread to commit to completing a project.

I'll start us out. 6 years ago bananeurysm offered a tiny PCB for an 808 kick. I bought one immediately because I love the 808 kick. I had it in mind for a larger drum machine but could never figure out what I wanted for the rest so it sat in a drawer.

Last week I decided to buy everything from Tayda to make it function and shove it in a box. It was ~$20 with shipping so I had no excuses to wait.





It's kind of goofy looking but I'm happy to have it completed. Next on my list is the JH. FS-1A. The FS-1A is pretty much stuffed. I'm just waiting to purchase some tools that will hopefully allow me to put some text/artwork on the panel. I also have a box of stuffed modules with drilled panels that are hinging on those tools as well. Once those are out of the way, the L-1 Vocoder is up.
sduck
There's no way I'm participating in this. I have 100's of pcbs lying around in various drawers. And I've been doing this for a while - some of them are over 15 years old. I'll never get "caught up".
nigel
Revok wrote:
This is a motivational thread to complete those dusty boards.


HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!





(Sorry.)
Revok
sduck wrote:
There's no way I'm participating in this. I have 100's of pcbs lying around in various drawers. And I've been doing this for a while - some of them are over 15 years old. I'll never get "caught up".


This thread is the first meeting of PCB hoarders anonymous. One board at a time, sduck.
sduck
1. We admitted we were powerless over our backlog—that our pcb drawers had become unmanageable.

2. etc....
Revok
hihi
negativspace
I've been working some of mine lately, but I'm mostly just trying to finish the stuff that's lying around half-finished... I'm not even sure that counts as "backlog." But it's nice to see some things get done.

I have that same 808 kick board, BTW. In a pile with some other drum boards I've never built. Dead Banana
Revok
negativspace wrote:
I'm mostly just trying to finish the stuff that's lying around half-finished... I'm not even sure that counts as "backlog."


I'm pretty much targeting those first. That and simple stuff I can easily knock out as a way to procrastinate productively MY ASS IS BLEEDING
julian
Sometimes im suddenly motivated by a project, and start getting on with it....

...then i find im missing a part.


Project goes back on the shelf for an indeterminate amount of time.

Indeterminate as you need both a start and an end point to get an exact value.... :(
Bodo1967
sduck wrote:
I have 100's of pcbs lying around in various drawers. And I've been doing this for a while - some of them are over 15 years old. I'll never get "caught up".


[you] "I am sduck, and I have many unfinished boards lying around."

[everyone else] "Hello, sduck!"

Welcome to Wigglers Anonymous cool Mr. Green !

SCNR hihi
forestcaver
Love this thread! Just finished a Moosapotamus ADA flanger yesterday. I soldered the first resistor on the board in 2010 (I think) !
(Got so many PCBs sitting around ! Also, quite a few etched pcbs that are stuffed but I haven’t got around to drilling enclosures or panel wiring !)
cretaceousear
Thought I could post a pic of the 8 boards I have waiting around part soldered, but then realised I should wait for the 3 new boards due to arrive today.

But maybe I should wait till I have the panels done, the new case built and the PSU decided on and finished. Then I'll post a pic.

Then maybe I can fill the holes in the case I built 35 years ago zombie
hamildad
I just finished an add on box for my phenol and need to do the last stretch on my 1601.

then its hell for leather on my Kraut Phaser and thats me done.

3 unfinished projects? Beginner!
Grumble
julian wrote:
Sometimes im suddenly motivated by a project, and start getting on with it....

...then i find im missing a part.


Project goes back on the shelf for an indeterminate amount of time.

Indeterminate as you need both a start and an end point to get an exact value.... :(

I can totaly relate to this. Working on my first (!) eurorack module. A Les Hall Karplus Strong module which has some weird resistor values...
Besides this I am working on the design and prototyping of an Arbitrary Waveform Generator and an Arduino based M185 made by Ryk.
Eric the Red
Good Morning,

My name is Eric and I have a problem. I have over 100 boards in various states of development. I have about 30 just waiting for me to make front panels, and another 90 waiting for me to start.

Harold’s Vocoder is my largest “backlog” project. That beast has about 100 tiny boards!!

I don’t have a problem...

-Eric
mangros
Despite having identified the cause of most hold ups I can't stop them happening:

1. not being 100% confident about an expensive purchase (like getting the right enclosure, or having a pcb/panel made)
2. unable to make some other critical decision (like a panel layout, or which features to drop for a smaller panel)
3. needing a part but the order isn't big enough to qualify for free delivery yet
4. can't be arsed with a big wiring job

Oldest is probably the CGS Infinite Melody from 2010 which I still haven't worked out how to wire up. Tried to sell the stuffed board last year but nobody wants it. Can't remember what I originally got it for!
Paradigm X
mangros wrote:
Despite having identified the cause of most hold ups I can't stop them happening:

1. not being 100% confident about an expensive purchase (like getting the right enclosure, or having a pcb/panel made)
2. unable to make some other critical decision (like a panel layout, or which features to drop for a smaller panel)
3. needing a part but the order isn't big enough to qualify for free delivery yet
4. can't be arsed with a big wiring job


this all sounds horribly familiar...

my worst is ... finish ... try it .. doesnt work ... initial check means i cant find fault... throw back on pile and start a new pcb. i hate trouble shooting so much.
glennfin
Yea, troubleshooting, a real pain. It's even more fun without a schematic. angry If I'm not breadboarding something, I'll go for the PCB/panel combos offered by some vendors but.... no schematic? no purchase. I've had very good luck so far with only one build not working. (Befaco Sampling Modulator). I just finished a build on two DIY Benjolins. Built the two side by side. On one, the rungler switch did nothing. Turns out I had a resistor soldered into a via instead of the hole where it was supposed to go right next to the via. Comparing the two PCB's side by side made it easier to find but how many times do you have two identical boards side by side to compare?... not too often. hihi hihi
fuzzbass
I have a crap ton of CGS and MFOS boards I am never going to build.
Dave Kendall
My backlog is now, well, the entire modular. As well as quite a few unbuilt PCBs Dead Banana

A while ago I started work on re-panelling it all in a new custom format with nanas rather than 3.5mm. Being very cautious (aka hopelessly paranoid) about getting it right this time, so it's going very slowly. At times I think continental drift is going faster than I am. And I'm committed to building a "themed" modular from a friend's line of PCBs. (But that definitely will happen )

On the other hand, I must be stark raving bonkers, because I still add the odd PCB to the pile every now and again when something interesting shows up.

As proof of this, if anybody here has any EFM boards lying around, I'll give you money to transfer them from your backlog to mine. . . . zombie
d.simon
Part of my backlog issue is that I fell into an unintentional time sink - BOMs and inventory management.

As an unintended and somewhat embarrassing result - A new interest grew for me for managing boms, standardizing my boms, and inventory mangement.

I really enjoy a perfect BOM, and running my scripts which can cross reference my inventory for part-swap equivalents.

Eventually I settled on the paradigm of "per-project" part procurement. I haven't run through enough phases to have a <<significant>> part surplus inventory (except for a few resistor types for example).

Things are starting to clear up. I made a mistake of buying parts for a bunch of projects, but not separating the purchases into the individual projects. Eventually I came up with a way (with cross reference spread-sheets/ .csv files) of sorting through the orders, but it took a while to stop procrastinating.

I've been through a few phases of purchases, and now know how to sort these into "kits" for my projects. I have about 50 projects ready to go in "kit" format.

I keep a "todo" list for these projects - currently debugging a Klee sequencer build (but this debugging has stalled for a couple months now)
keninverse
d.simon wrote:
Part of my backlog issue is that I fell into an unintentional time sink - BOMs and inventory management.

As an unintended and somewhat embarrassing result - A new interest grew for me for managing boms, standardizing my boms, and inventory mangement.

I really enjoy a perfect BOM, and running my scripts which can cross reference my inventory for part-swap equivalents.

Eventually I settled on the paradigm of "per-project" part procurement. I haven't run through enough phases to have a <<significant>> part surplus inventory (except for a few resistor types for example).



I love building the perfect BOM for projects and love stocking parts. Receiving packages of esoteric transistors and ICs is my crack. Interests also include meticulously documenting mods and part subs, buying parts I really don't need but I think I really should have stocked just in case that next jfet goes out of production.
Starspawn
Im down to 5 modules, a vocoder, some unintentonal other pcbs but total is under 10 ... counting only music modules, video modules has been creeping in, but not to much DIY exists so HAH! Goal is done by June wink

Edit: Lies, there was also a 3U of mutables and some other things ...
Hovercraft
My name is hovercraft, and I have a......backlog. A full Klee kit, four Benjolins (please don't judge), Rings of Saturn, just plain Rings, and others. At least I have the decency to feel guilty. Flamey
windspirit
The stuff that pisses me off is less the completely unpopulated boards and more the things that I built that I havent been able to debug and will probably never get to work -_-
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group