MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

206e can it really?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 206e can it really?
YE'OLDE BOY
Hi all before I go on yes I've done a search and still have not found an answer.

I'm at the point of having to decide been a system with:

206e and 207r (plenty of mixing and panning, presets)

or
225e and 207r (all midi taken care of )

If the 206e can take midi clock (which I would send to the 281e) via the USB card then that would be fine.

If it could be played (so pitches and timing) by the beat step pro ) then it covers all the basses for me.

IF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've read it can do "NOTE ON AND OFF" and I've never found this statement gives me what I need to know as note on off can mean different things .

I've watched Batches video where he tries to get it working with no joy (and if he can't get it working !!! what hope I sad banana )

I love Todd video of getting midi working on a LEM 4 and I guess thats what I've been searching for to put this question to bed once and for all.

So what is the most the 206e can do midi wise?
And what can't it do?

REALLY help

cheers all
vgermuse
206e = No MIDI

225e and 207e would cover all your bases.
w00t
mritenburg
vgermuse wrote:
206e = No MIDI

:party:

Just to be precise, the 206e preset manager does respond to MIDI patch change messages.
vgermuse
mritenburg wrote:
vgermuse wrote:
206e = No MIDI

w00t

Just to be precise, the 206e preset manager does respond to MIDI patch change messages.

Ah, my bad. Thank you. I don't use midi is it via an internal bus?
You can't plug a midi cable in right?
dougcl
I think this question is really about the MIDI capability of the USB Firmware card.

The 206e has nothing to do with MIDI.

As far as that goes, I would read through the sticky at the top of this subforum.

Edit: just re-read that part about patch changes. I was unaware that MIDI could be used to change presets. Is it true?
YE'OLDE BOY
Wow
fast response guys.

Yes this I hope will the tread to answer all about what the 206e can do.
and not.

I've read in the treads quite a few times people mention that the 206e can do a little midi, like note on note off.
I'll have a quick scant around and see if I can find the tread with batches trying it out.
dougcl
Hi the sticky thread discusses the firmware USB card, not the 206e.

In other words, if you want to use MIDI, you can't use the 206e to do it. The 206e has nothing to do with MIDI (except that it seems it might be able to act on a patch change message and change the preset, but even this would require the firmware card to receive the patch change message from MIDI). To be specific, the 206e does not process note on/off.

I think it is correct to say that you will use the USB firmware card to handle MIDI if you want the 206e. The 206e cannot do MIDI, and you can't have both 225e and 206e in your system. So you would have to use the USB Firmware card to get MIDI into the 200e if you want to use a 206e.

So your question reduces down to the MIDI capabilities of the USB firmware card.
YE'OLDE BOY
For myself I guess I really want to find out if the 206e could through the USB card take a clock that could be sent to the 281e and if it was able to do more than that.

Your answer of no midi on the 206e, JUST on the USB card is properly why other have discussed it and even made videos of the attempts.

This thread is to put this all to bed (and for me to get a 225e)

The tread that sparked this question with me is named :

Help please: MIDI >BEMI USB Card > Boops Cabinet

(sorry I haven't learnt how to embed threads yet )

I just wanted to check whether or not before I make my order.

Thankyou to all who responded
dougcl
MIDI from the USB firmware card goes straight to the bus and to the 281e directly. It goes to all the other modules directly. The 206e is not in the middle.

Note ON/OFF comes into the Firmware Card via USB, the firmware card puts the message on the bus, all the modules in the system receive it. The 281e is programmed to act on it. The 206e ignores it.
dougcl
This is doing wonders for my post count.
batchas
dougcl wrote:
MIDI from the USB firmware card goes straight to the bus and to the 281e directly. It goes to all the other modules directly. The 206e is not in the middle.

Note ON/OFF comes into the Firmware Card via USB, the firmware card puts the message on the bus, all the modules in the system receive it. The 281e is programmed to act on it. The 206e ignores it.

@YE'OLDE BOY: I don't remember the exact thread (if you mean a thread with "batchas"), but dougcl is right and explains IMO very well.

I recall I was trying to get program changes messages to change presets via MIDI (means specifically by number).
Not a clock as this is bus related, or any other MIDI message as far as I can remember (I don't see why I would have done that, but I could be wrong as I experimented quite a lot with this gear).

Anyway program change never worked for me. I did not find the way to send any MIDI message via USB to this Firmware card. Should have invest more time, which I did not want to, because I don't want to loose time on computer for making music.
But I remember a thread mentioning it does. It's also mentionned in the Buchla 200e manual.
I'd like to see a video on how to achieve that, even if I won't use it, but out of curiosity.

Or maybe one day I'll try again if no answer or video to show how to do exactly, now that I re-installed a DAW, connected my MIDI equipment back in the studio. Getting used to Logic again etc. Might get better result with more patience too.
YE'OLDE BOY
Uhmmm thank you Batches I did (my spelling sucks)

oops
So if all you want to do is receive midi clock (to run 281e) then all thats needed is a 206e + USB card.
Anything more and you need a 225e

damn damn again I have think if I really would use a 225e"s extra midi capabilities enough to warrant it eek!

Cheers again all
mirf59

Hey. If you look at the sticky thread on the firmware update card, you'll see some people chime in and say they were able to get MIDI note info across all four internal busses using the combination of USB/Firmware update card & 206e.

In my attempts to get this up and running, someone said a preset manager is required. I do not fully understand why this is, given what dougcl wrote above, but you can check the thread to verify. I believe it was "darrenji" who is or was a Buchla employee that stated this.

Now, there is a second question about the use of 3rd party boats. Some boats and some locations may have an effect on the voltage level on the bus in the distro board that carries the MIDI information. On that separate issue, I believe MW members "leoespejo" and "missingtwin" were both able to get it all up and running with the combination USB card, 206e, and Boops cabinet.

On the question of what you get with a 225e, you get four external busses for MIDI note info. So, you could send one set of MIDI notes to the mod side of a Buchla wave generator at the same time the primary is receiving a different set of MIDI notes on the internal bus. Of course, the tuning is a pain in the ass using the external bus.

Also, you can use any MIDI controller to control 12 parameters on the instrument. Of example, you can get one with sliders and have a kind of poor man's Easel type control surface. Plus, of course, hands-free MIDI control of parameters using a DAW.

dougcl
mirf59 wrote:

In my attempts to get this up and running, someone said a preset manager is required. I do not fully understand why this is, given what dougcl wrote above, but you can check the thread to verify. I believe it was "darrenji" who is or was a Buchla employee that stated this.

It could be that the modules need to come up into Remote Mode or there is otherwise some initialization that the preset manager presents at bootup without which the modules will not properly respond to MIDI from the USB firmware card.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1