MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Attenuating signal from synth using di box
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Attenuating signal from synth using di box
flisgd
Hi. I've heard that it is possible to use di box in reverse and connect to guitar effect pedal:

synth -> di box (output)
di box input -> effect pedal input.

I have a cheap passive di box (PROEL DIRECT100P DI-BOX).

Has anyone tried this? Will this work?

As synth level is even higher than line level I also considered:

synth -> mixer input (attenuate signal to line level)
mixer output -> di box (output)
di box input -> effect pedal input.

Or:
synth -> mixer input (attenuate signal to instrument level)
mixer output -> effect pedal input

Which one is the best idea?
Jay F.
Hi,

it is theoritically possible with a passive DI box, like the direct 100P.
It is not possible with an active one.

Nevertheless, you'd better use you DI box in the standard way and activate the included pad switch.

I reckon a 20dB attenuation (/ 10) will be sufficient. If you have some saturation anyway, the 40 dB pad (/ 100) will bring your level to the guitar ouput level range : from 5V peak to 50 mV peaks.

I use mine (Active Palmer PAN02) this way with my synths : I activate the -30 dB pad. From there I have to increase the input gain of my audio interface to have a proper input level.

So,

synth -> di box (input, with -20 dB pad)
di box ouput -> effect pedal input.

will do for sure.

synth -> mixer input (attenuate signal to instrument level)
mixer output -> effect pedal input

should be OK as well. Most (if not all) mixer preamps with a gain knob can handle synth level.
nathanscribe
This is way too much work. Just turn the volume down on your synth output, run it into the pedal, and then on to your mixer or whatever. If you're using pedals on synths, noise is not going to be your main fear I guess. Just plug them in and make the noises.
Acid Mitch
Just get something like palmer daccapo reamping box.
ideally you want to go synth > reamping box > effect >and sometimes d.i or preamp.
You get a wider range of usable sounds using a reamping box than going straight in with volume down.
Mefistophelees
I think it'll depend on the pedals. Some are very fussy about the input and will require a re-amp box. Fuzz pedals seems especially sensitive about input, some don't even like other pedals in front of them.

Some pedals, especially digital ones will be less fussy and you should be able to get away with just turning the volume down.

OTOH Sometimes you can use the super-sensitivity of some pedals and the resulting distortion as an effect. A fuzz can act as a sort of wave shaper doing this.
nathanscribe
That's true, of the dozens of pedals I've used with a whole bunch of synths, distortion/fuzz etc are the only ones I recall having any trouble with.

My favourite grit unit is a Boss EQ pedal. Drive it hard, boost and cut the EQ hard, and you've got a nice frequency-selective overdrive. Most useful.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1