MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Apps for older iPads?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Apps for older iPads?
coolie
I have an iPad 2, most apps I've looked at won't run on this older generation or get updated out of being able to.

Any recommendations appreciated. I know I can't be the only one!
Richie Jape
haha i have an ipad 2 as well

i've a good few music apps on there ...

two of the most used are samplr and fugue machine ( wish there was a euro rack version of this app ) highly recommended ..

patterning is cool enough too ...

both those shine when used in a dock and then controlling d'machines smile

and a load more - animoog and the filter from moog ok

i also try to not update if something is working ...

ive had this ipad for about 8/9 years and am quite attached to it

the price of the new ones is stupid if you ask me

best of luck
Phil999
I agree, you can do a lot of things with old iPads. Especially if you have some interface or dock to connect audio and MIDI to the modular system. Then the iPad becomes some kind of universal module in your system for all kinds of tasks. Be it a simple oscilloscope, an effect device, a sequencer (with MIDI input), a synth voice. It can also be used for syncing a modular system or skiff to Ableton Link and MIDI clock.

Although there's another option without the need for an interface, connecting audio, MIDI, OSC via USB to a computer or at least a Windows tablet. With the Studiomux app. Or with Midimux for MIDI and OSC only.

Next to the above mentioned sequencers there are a couple of other note generators that run on iPad2:

- Quantum and Midisequencer: classic step sequencer with lots of ornamental options, ratchets, CC out, ...

- Mid East Drummer, Different Drummer, Drumjam, Earhoof, DM2, Funkbox, etc.: great drum sequencers and beatboxes with probability, variations. Touchscreen optimised for live interacting.

- Xynthesizr: multichannel sequencer with game-of-life dynamic note output

- littleMIDI: simple but very useful step sequencer, and free

- Senode: nodal based sequencer

- NodeBeat: note generator, also with nodes, but different

- Refraktions

- Snap: Reactable's approach to euclidian sequencing. Useful to quickly sketch some patterns

- then there are DAW-like sequencers like Modstep and Auria that run on older iOS and iPad2. Also, as I just found out, Beatmaker 3 is working too.

That was just the sequencer/drum machine part. All mentioned apps have MIDI output. For audio there are also a couple of good apps for older devices. Frekvens, apeFilter, apeDelay, Kuvert, Filtatron, AltiSpace, ToneStack, VoiceRack, VoiceJamStudio, 6144, Svep, Duplikat, waverails, BandShift, RoughRider2, Eos 2, Nebulizer, MasterRecord, svarm, Harmony Voice, VoxSyn.

Synths: Geo Synth, StringEnsemble, Arturia iSEM, Laplace, Mersenne, Audulus 3, iMS-20, Soundbow, zMors Modular, MobMuPlat, Borderlands, Infinite, WaveGenerator, WaveMapper, Scythe, TeraSynth, Cube Synth, Addictive Synth, TC-11, Impaktor, EHX Mini Synth, Thor, Animoog. There are also some microtonal synths: Dhalang, Wilsonic, Droneo, WorldScales, Gender, Sunrizer, Shoom, saz-santoor. ScaleGen is a translator app, but myself I couldn't find a way to use it. So I hesitate to recommend ScaleGen.

controllers: Lemur, TouchOSC, TC-data, Trigger Box, midiLFOs, Clawtar, Konkreet Performer. There are also some good MCU emulations and device specific controllers (RME interfaces, QSC mixers, etc.).

Interestingly, all my 30-pin interfaces made for iOS, iRigMIDI, Tascam iU2 and Apogee Duet, have become really stable and reliable with higher iOS versions. Especially the iU2 used to lose MIDI and/or audio in the middle of a session with iOS 5 or 6, it was hardly usable. Now I can use my iPad2 with the iU2 for days without rebooting, everything works as it should. That's really great. Buying a used iPad2 is not a bad idea. First, these available apps are great. Second, they use not much energy. You can power an iPad2 from any 500mA USB port without draining the battery (it will remain at 100% charge), which is an advantage. Newer iPads lose battery charge while attached to a computer USB port (depending on the usage). Third, iPad2 has less resolution, which can be an advantage in some apps. In Lemur for example I have a better performance with iPad2 than with iPad4.

There's another useful app called element-Vs from Tangent Devices. It emulates the Element Colour Grading devices from the same company. The app is not cheap, but since the Element devices are integrated in applications like Resolve, Resolve Lite, Premiere Pro, Nucoda, Scratch, Capture One, it is worth the money if you work with video and photography. And you can use the app on as many iPads as you wish. I have 4, and have all 4 Element panels available at the same time. At first it may even slow down your workflow until you have learned how to use the Element emulation, but after that it really speeds up the entire process. The app is very reliable, connects automatically when the wifi network is up, and adopts automatically to each application that is running on the computer.

Again, just to make it clear, these are all apps that run on an iPad2. Verified and tested since many years. There are a couple of other interesting apps available today, but they run on iOS 10 and higher. These are not on this list.
FraMauro
The Korg synth apps work, I have an old iPad 2 I use just for these(M1, MS20 and Wavestation) plus stuff as mentioned above like Xynthesizr, which I love.

I'd also recommend getting an Alesis IO. The first gen versions with the 30 pin connector are very cheap on eBay and add excellent connectivity.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1