MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How deep to make MOTM, Oakley, Cynthia and Modcan B cabinet?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author How deep to make MOTM, Oakley, Cynthia and Modcan B cabinet?
Bryan B
I am making a MOTM format cabinet for myself, and I have the rails laid out and ready to laser. Any ideas as to the maximum depth of MOTM, Oakley, Cynthia and Modcan B modules?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I only have 7-8 MOTM and Oakley modules (so far) to judge this by.
Bryan B
I should add that my previously used depth has 7.5" of space inside. It would make the design easier if that was enough room already.
rafe127
I'm almost positive that 7.5" will enough for any Modcan B module. My memory is that the max is 6" and change.
russma
I'm sure others here will have a more definitive answer, but my cabinets are 11 and 3/8" deep.

I mount the power supply in the back, and so far, there's only been one module that wouldn't clear the power supply (I forget which module.)

This depth might be overkill, but it's a convenient depth for me because I use the manufactured Rubbermaid shelves rather than cutting my own planks.
thermionicjunky
I agree with the 6+ estimate. My cabinets are 10" deep for the Modcan frame/distro and future rear mounting of power supplies. The maximum depth that I needed for modules was around 6" for the power supply module. If you want to do something with Bridechamber PCB brackets, you'll either need more depth or you could cut the brackets (EDIT: though they will just fit within 7.5").
BananaPlug
FYI, the Cyndustries sixpacks are 7" deep and that's leaving room for a power distro board in the back.
sandyb
my cabinets (mainly modcan b series with a bit of motm) are about 9" deep which seems fine for everything with the power supply in the back. i think 7.5" would be ok depending on where you mount your power. the deepest cyndustries module i own is the triple resonant filter which *just* fits into a sixpac with room for the power distribution.
sduck
My homemade motm only cabinet is 7" deep total. The brackets for mounting the modules are inset about 1/2", and there's maybe 3/8" taken up in the back by the back plate. I didn't use a stock 900 psu, but it would probably work also - I just put the psu guts as far to the back as I could, near the right side, with the power inlet and switch on the back on the far right; and put the power distribution board on the bottom near the back. All the motm stuff will fit in this with no problem.

However, I have a ton of diy stuff that doesn't fit into this size cabinet, so I made another one that's deeper - basically the same concept as the other one, but 10" deep total. I have to do some finagling of module placement with this one anyway - it's got 2 reverb tanks in it, and the neural agonizer front end for them only fits in one place, between the power distro board and the reverb tanks.

These are all 24U wide internally.

I also have a larger, angled front 2-tier cabinet, that starts at 7" deep at the top, but ends up at 12" at the bottom.

Each one of these cabinets has it's own separate power supply - regular motm 900 size in the 2 smaller ones and a big ass triple psu in the big cabinet.
Bryan B
Thanks for all of the info! You guys are a huge help.

I know I will need another Power Supply and so far I know and like the Dotcom format PSU's. I am considering making a separate Box just for the power supply. It would be nice to have most of the weight in a smaller box for transportation.
Kendall Station
Bryan you have 303 posts don't post dont post!!!
emdot_ambient
The EWI Tourcase cabinets used by Pugix (Richard Brewster), JLR and (soon) myself are all 10" deep. Depends on the modules you get and the power supply configuration you end up with, but with the brackets used by some of the MOTM modules I think 10" is a much safer depth.

Check this out http://pugix.com/synth/portable-rack-cabinets/

There's a pic that shows the depth with some MOTM modules and a DIY using the long Stooge 3-pot bracket.

Of course that's a DIY power supply, so YMMV.
NV
My 5U cabinets are about 12" deep, although I mounted two power supplies (+/-15V and +5V) and the distribution boards inside them which makes them shallower. The +/-15V supply is about 3 1/2" deep and there is about 1" of space consumed in the back for a wood strut I placed to mount my distribution boards onto. The supplies are mounted on the bottom of the case, so while they consume an extra 3 1/2" of space on the bottom, the rows above have an extra 2" of clearance since it's only the distribution boards on that level.

I have an assortment of MOTM, DIY, ModCan, and MU format modules that all fit comfortably in any point of the case, even the "shallow" bottom row. The deepest 5U module I own is the ModCan CV Recorder, which is about 6" from faceplate to the back of the PCB, and it fits just fine in the 7" clearance bottom row.

Some DIY designs get pretty deep, but you can always rearrange brackets/PCBs to shave off a couple inches. The deepest 5U PCB I've seen is the Blacet MiniWave, which weighs in at about 7" from front to back and takes up even more space including the panel/pots/etc. I'm not sure if ModCan redesigned the PCB when they integrated it into their lineup, but I imagine they likely did since the majority of their work is surface mount and the ModCan MiniWave incorporates an oscillator. There's a handful of 5U converted MiniWaves out there, and assuming that's the deepest you'll find I would guess that if you allowed yourself about 8" of clearance in at least some portion of your case (like a top row where you don't need to worry about internal power supplies), you'd be set for whatever may come your way.

It's also important to remember that even though a power supply consumes a few inches in one corner and the busboards consume a couple inches over there, you still have areas in the case where there's no PSU or busboard and you suddenly have an extra 3" of space. You can always put your deepest modules in those spaces if you're trying to build as shallow a case as possible.
Luka
mine are 8 inches deep
it is perfect unless you want to mount tanks inside the cabs :(
modularland
contact http://www.nice-racks.com/

tell 'em steve sent ya and they'll make you something like THIS (on right)

pugix
The dot com cabinets I use are 8" deep and that's plenty for everything I've done. I have power supplies in the ends that need shallow modules to be installed in front. That hasn't been too much of a constraint. Some photos here:

http://pugix.com/synth/synthesizerscom-motm-cabinet/
JohnLRice
Yes, as noted I have the wonderful 10" deep EWI Tourcases. My two deepest modules (Cyndustries Zeroscillator and Moog 9504A) just barely fit in with a Power-One HTAA power supply directly behind it (they are almost 4" deep)

I think 7.5 will be perfect so long as you don't need to mount power supplies or insanely large reverb tanks behind your larges modules!
J3RK
The deepest module I've owned in 5U was the Haible Tau Phaser. I can't remember the depth (I should as I built it,) but it went past all the others I had. That's not in your list of mfgs, but something to note in case you want one at some point. I imagine you could mount the PCB differently though.
ach_gott
J3RK wrote:
The deepest module I've owned in 5U was the Haible Tau Phaser. I can't remember the depth (I should as I built it,) but it went past all the others I had. That's not in your list of mfgs, but something to note in case you want one at some point. I imagine you could mount the PCB differently though.

Yep.

Mounting CGS PCBs on Bridechamber brackets can get pretty inconveniently deep, but my cabinets are deep enough to handle it so it never bothered me too much.
J3RK
I saw that after I posted. (went back to the BC site to look at it) I believe I had mine in the standard long/perpendicular style as it was in a large rack at the time. I'd probably do it parallel to the front like that now. I miss that thing, so I'll probably build another one sometime.
JohnLRice
modularland wrote:
contact http://www.nice-racks.com/

tell 'em steve sent ya and they'll make you something like THIS (on right)

Thems some damn tasty modulars, modularland! love
JohnLRice
JohnLRice wrote:
Yes, as noted I have the wonderful 10" deep EWI Tourcases. My two deepest modules (Cyndustries Zeroscillator and Moog 9504A) just barely fit in with a Power-One HTAA power supply directly behind it (they are almost 4" deep)

Whoops, wrong! The ZO (in a different rack) fits but the Moog 9504A is even deeper, over 6" I think, and I had to cramp the power-ones as far over as they could go so the back end of the Moog could extend past then a little!

jfm3
I think R10UE-10 from audiopile are just the right depth; 10".

The original specs for MOTM format had everything fitting within a 5-1/2" depth. This would allow modules to be mounted in SKB brand pop-up mixer cases. Many DIY and kit projects gleefully ignore this maximum depth requirement. With 10" of case depth and rails on the front and back, you can conveniently mount power supplies in the back (which if you buy MOTM kits are more shallow than the full 5-1/2") and have a good shot at clearing the modules in the front. When you eventually want to mount a deeper module, you at least have options. You can also fit two reverb tanks in there, maybe a few cats, tax forms, what have you. You never know what you'll want to get in there. 10" is about right.
essex sound lab
jfm3 wrote:
You can also fit two reverb tanks in there, maybe a few cats, tax forms, what have you. You never know what you'll want to get in there. 10" is about right.

Other than trying to accomodate a Tellun Doomsday Machine in front of a PSU, 10" should be fine. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1