MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Suggestion: members describe their music - in their Sig
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Suggestion: members describe their music - in their Sig
Midiot
I often use MuffWiggler to help evaluate modules for purchase, or for patch ideas.

But I think it's important for readers to understand that some people use modules for different musical styles.

If for example, someone recommends a module because "it fits their modular system perfectly".... I'd like to know what type of music they produce.
....maybe it's wild, distortion and mayhem.
.....maybe it's techno beats.
....maybe it's dreamy atmospheres.
....etc.

Because this forum is so large, it's hard to "filter" every post or comment that would apply to your musical style (or method).
HighLordFixer
That is complete absurd...
how dare you want us giving you some easy way to label us....
stop being so damn vulcan logical very frustrating
sduck
It is merely a suggestion. Fascinating...
Midiot
HighLordFixer wrote:
That is complete absurd...
how dare you want us giving you some easy way to label us....

You are already being monitored.
SkyNet knows everything.
AW198
Good idea This is fun!
cretaceousear
Needs age as well so we can judge if seasoned veteran/old fart, youthful ingenue, complacent middle ager. you kids get off my lawn
Midiot
Age ?
I only semi-agree.

I'm 53yo. I make "new creative music" that a 23yo might really like.
I think there can be great stuff coming from young minds, as it is "fresh" and unadulterated (aka, new, innovative).
The opposite can also be true....a seasoned vet with many styles behind him or her..... who is aware of history, not to repeat it.

In my teens, I liked Led Zeppelin and Alice Cooper, then moving on to Zappa and Mahavishnu Orchestra... then moving on to Jazz, Terry Riley, world ethnic styles, Cab Voltaire. and finally my fav band of all time, Stereolab. By that time I was 45yo.... worshiping music made by ~20yo innovators.
Styles and trends move with time, not age.

Except at my work/job....so many workers my age are stuck in the age they grew-up in.... classic rock is all they can appreciate. I try to introduce them to new sounds.. and they don't agree with my new discoveries.. But, not all of them get stuck in an era.
Some of us move with the times, regardless of age.

Henry Rollins does this. He likes music for music's sake, and I believe he's in his 60's.
AW198
cretaceousear wrote:
Needs age as well so we can judge if seasoned veteran/old fart, youthful ingenue, complacent middle ager. you kids get off my lawn

Lots of 15 year olds make better music than me, lots of 50 year olds make better music than me.

I make better music than a lot of 15 year olds, and better music than a lot of 50 year olds.

When it comes to creative disciplines, I learned a while ago not to base skill on age!
negativspace
Age is everything - that's why nobody takes that clown Mozart seriously. I mean... 5 year olds composing music? As if. (Almost as pretentious as that Aphex Twin guy and the stuff from his first album. He was 14 in '85... no wonder nobody takes him seriously either. If he'd been 25, Xtal would be one of the top 10 electronic tracks of all time.)

d'oh!
cretaceousear
Yep I was joking about age - but it's interesting for the other discussions.

But for genre I like mayhem and I like droney atmospheres and sometimes I like to use synth as semi techno beat maker. Depends on my mood and the mood of the guys I play with and the weather.

midiot : I hope you've checked out Michael Rother of Neu! and Harmonia as the originator of the Stereolab motorik sound!
negativspace
Yeah, I didn't think you were serious and obviously neither was I. hihi
Joe.
Midiot wrote:

If for example, someone recommends a module because "it fits their modular system perfectly".... I'd like to know what type of music they produce.

If it's a lack of communication, wouldn't it be better to just ask them to clarify and qualify their statement? You'll create a rapport with people, feel like a member of community, if you talk to people rather than rely on database info (which is effectively what your asking for).

Not all users visit the forum for the same reason, and I don't think the majority are making module recommendations. To impose a requirement on all users, to force them to make declarations about personal choices (and assume they'll stick to those, and won't explore new options over time) is just rude.

Plus you'll get all the hipster contrarians and dissidents lying and placing the opposite genres to their preferred into their signatures. hihi
HighLordFixer
Age? what's that again? oh yeah the Solar Cycle LFO cycle rate of this planet Terra Firma
Eye felt ancient already by 5 of those in this body
It's about becoming Wise without burning out the spark of eternal youth.
hmmm...
being a total sarcastic smart arse helps for some reason
as long as you keep the jaded cynicism under control
always remember make time for having FUN
you wanna see somethin Scary?
mousegarden
cretaceousear wrote:

I'm definitely an old fart, and as a modular owner I'm perfectly equipped.
kindredlost
If I put a description into my signature it would be longer than any post I've made so far... but including fewer letters than my age. hihi
Not that I have any unique thing going but I don't see much correlation between equipment and style in music. The majority of people try to imitate a style and assume the gear is the most important ingredient. "Guitar Rock" meh
starthief
kindredlost wrote:
I don't see much correlation between equipment and style in music. The majority of people try to imitate a style and assume the gear is the most important ingredient. "Guitar Rock" meh

"electronic music" hihi

I mostly make dark ambient, droney creepy stuff, and what I call "abstract electronica" for lack of a better description, with very little drums. (Though when I jam just for fun, I could make jazz or techno-ish stuff or anything, really.) I also almost never use samples anymore, which is a bit weird for dark ambient.

But my DAW is Maschine, stereotypically for the hip-hop and EDM crowds. I have no dedicated LFOs and no Clouds hihi and mostly use monophonic parts. I skew toward West Coast synthesis and things that can sound like it.
gonkulator
Mine would be "Crap, regardless of type - judge modules used at your own risk."
Midiot
I see (and understand) the reluctance for some/many people to self-categorize themselves.

It's a voluntary suggestion. I'm not suggesting rules.

Although it could be an interesting question on it's own, outside of this forum. If you were describing to a friend or stranger....."what kind of music you make with your modular system"..... what would your answer be ?

(no need to answer here)
Midiot
kindredlost wrote:
If I put a description into my signature it would be longer than any post I've made so far... but including fewer letters than my age. hihi

You already have put a description.... your Bandcamp, and Soundcloud links.
( I like)
kindredlost wrote:
Not that I have any unique thing going but I don't see much correlation between equipment and style in music. The majority of people try to imitate a style and assume the gear is the most important ingredient. "Guitar Rock" meh

Ok, yes... it's like what a painter does with a brush. There can be many outcomes using the same instrument.
But is someone using that brush for photo-realistic painting, or are they using it for emotional gestural abstract paintings ?
There are many types of brushes....and what is that particular brush best used for ?
cptnal
My tuppenceworth:

It's up to the reader. As when you read the news or a book, listen to the radio, have a conversation with another human being, any information you receive will be shaped by their preferences/interests/prejudices/history. It's up to you to interpret what you read and what weight to give it depending on its source. (You're also subject to confirmation bias, but the best you can do about that is be aware of it.)

I've found as I've spent more time on the board that you get to know which wigglers chime most with where you're at yourself, and so I'm likely to trust their opinion. And people change, including oneself, so this is a process under constant review.

Phew! Ain't life complicated? confused
mousegarden
I've decided on "Aural Prozac"

Based on the fact that my music is so depressing, but people do say that if they are depressed, it helps to listen to depressing music, not happy music, so on that basis my music could be therapeutic.
dubonaire
Midiot wrote:
I often use MuffWiggler to help evaluate modules for purchase, or for patch ideas.

But I think it's important for readers to understand that some people use modules for different musical styles.

....maybe it's wild, distortion and mayhem.
.....maybe it's techno beats.
....maybe it's dreamy atmospheres.
....etc.

Because this forum is so large, it's hard to "filter" every post or comment that would apply to your musical style (or method).

Maybe you describe your music, and we can decide whether or not we want to feed your vampire needs.
authorless
Modules don't give a shit what kind of music you make with them.
HighLordFixer
Has anyone taken
Mysterious Martian Megalith Mechanized Muzak for Merry Motivated Maniacal Maneating Mayhem Manufacturing Marsupial Monks Mesmerized in Mindful Mahayana Meditation
yet? No? Eye will take that one then
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMuzak

or
well
maybe eye will just keep my current signature
the next sign post up ahead...
Home
moremagic
i already did, the woo woos dont go woo woo unless i want em to Miley Cyrus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2