MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SSL SampleCorder - Reissue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author SSL SampleCorder - Reissue
dslocum
Hey guys & gals,

I'm strongly considering a reissue of the JJP SampleCorder, but without the compander circuitry. The NE570 compander in the original was used to help keep noise down a bit. The problem on the reissue is that these chips are a little difficult to source in SMD (which is now what I use almost exclusively)

I'm hoping that you guys can deal with the "gritty" nature of the raw ISD chip. I don't yet have a demo - sorry. Soon I'm hoping.

The JJP SampleCorder is one of the most requested "please make this again" modules that SSL has ever made, SO...

I'm looking at making a few of these (updated). Who's in? I need to get about 10 units before I pull the trigger.
Dave Peck
Can you still get that chip fairly easily in the through-hole package? If so, consider using a surface mounted IC socket on the board and then plug the through hole chip into the socket by hand after the pick and place.

Or just hand solder the through hole part onto the board after pick and place.
snevlida14
It's definitely a cool module I would like to see it reissued
EPTC
I'd love it reissued. Your Scat Talker is amazing. I remember the thread where both a 1-space and 2-space version was discussed. Strongly prefer the aesthetics of the original 1-space. I mean this thing just looks so damn nice.
https://steamsynth.com/shop/discontinued-products/jjp-samplecorder-mod el-1450/

Would also welcome the gritty sound you're describing.

I'm not sure I'd go for the 2-space layout, as it just doesn't hit my brain the same way the 1-space layout does. (If you'll welcome the candor) Banks might be fun but will say variable start/stop length post sample looks really interesting; so will probably dig on the dual space if that's your choice, too.

Awesome news!
Chrutil
I'm happy with mine so I'll pass on the updated version, but if there was one feature I wanted from mine it would be a screen saver that turned off the backlit screen when not in use. It's quite bright.
alternating.bit
Chrutil wrote:
I'm happy with mine so I'll pass on the updated version, but if there was one feature I wanted from mine it would be a screen saver that turned off the backlit screen when not in use. It's quite bright.

...are you talking about the Jones O'Tool scope module perhaps, or maybe even the FX Capacitor? Not sure what "screen" you're referring to.

I love the original Samplecorder but my main hangup was the sound quality being so low (basically I wanted to use it as a mini Phonogene) so if the new one sounds the same or even worse I don't know...
Chrutil
alternating.bit wrote:
Chrutil wrote:

...are you talking about the Jones O'Tool scope module perhaps, or maybe even the FX Capacitor? Not sure what "screen" you're referring to.

I love the original Samplecorder but my main hangup was the sound quality being so low (basically I wanted to use it as a mini Phonogene) so if the new one sounds the same or even worse I don't know...

Well, duh on me very frustrating
I meant the ScatTalker, sorry ‘bout that.
I’ll just go to the corner of the room with the silly hat on.
diophantine
While I thoroughly enjoy my JJP Samplecorder, I'm not sure if I see a need for it to be reissued exactly as-is (or just without the compander).

Personally I've always been fine with the audio quality of the original - I've honestly never sampled anything other than stuff from within my MU system, and I've understood the limitations of the chips involved.

I think the biggest limitation is that you can't switch between 'record' and 'play' via CV. Also, an 'End of Sample' output might be more useful than the 'Playing' output.
alternating.bit
It looks like the list of requests of features / changes is starting again and I believe Doug has already gone through that stage and is at the point of getting actual funding to move forward. Just saving him the trouble of having to say this, as he's taken a lot of time into the design / decision on the reissue.
However the one thing that would help us all would be at least a sketch of the final forthcoming product. Thanks
diophantine
alternating.bit wrote:
It looks like the list of requests of features / changes is starting again and I believe Doug has already gone through that stage and is at the point of getting actual funding to move forward. Just saving him the trouble of having to say this, as he's taken a lot of time into the design / decision on the reissue.

Well, since this was unnecessary & clearly directed at me...

I don't get the impression that the circuit or PCB design has been done for the new one yet.

I also have a vague recollection that only the first run was supposed to have JJP's signature on the panel - if that's the case, there would likely be room for a couple more jacks.

So I gave a couple of rather small changes that could be made, based on my own experience (& comments from others who have used mine). I think Doug is perfectly capable of saying 'nope!' if he likes. cool
Paradigm X
Seem to have 800 on mouser ?

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/NE570DR2G?qs=s GAEpiMZZMtxdzBvM0rKcSZNncDtUkD705Pj9TQ92Uk%3d
alternating.bit
diophantine wrote:

??? scroll up, you weren't the only one putting in requests.
diophantine
alternating.bit wrote:
diophantine wrote:

??? scroll up, you weren't the only one putting in requests.

Apologies if I took your comment the wrong way & was a bit cranky; the only other request was the older comment re: banks, etc. which wouldn't be particularly sensible (possible?) with the ISD2560.
EPTC
Yep, banks be me! Sorry if that sounded like a grocery list.

For reference, SSL suggested banks and other features I referenced as a two-panel version about a year ago here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153529&sid=c35492c39 535e863dddf4ed5d50e7a4b
diophantine
EPTC wrote:
Yep, banks be me! Sorry if that sounded like a grocery list.

For reference, SSL suggested banks and other features I referenced as a two-panel version about a year ago here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153529&sid=c35492c39 535e863dddf4ed5d50e7a4b

Shit, now my wife's gonna yell at me because I'll be reading IC datasheets again after dinner... haha.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1