MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PSU issue 4 released.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author PSU issue 4 released.
Synthbuilder
A new version of the PSU module is now available. It's now at issue 4.

The inlet wiring and 0V connectivity has changed. This will allow easier wiring to toroidal transformers and provide a more robust 0V connection to panels and earth. Please note that wiring these up is slightly different to the older issues so take care to read the new documentation. Other changes include thicker PCB tracks to ensure both power outlets are more matched under heavy load conditions.

The documentation is now in one single Builder's Guide - which has been completely revised for this issue.

Tony
Paradigm X
Nice!

What are the blue and white things at the end of the wires going into the terminal blocks?

cheers
Synthbuilder
Paradigm X wrote:
What are the blue and white things at the end of the wires going into the terminal blocks?

Bootlace ferrules. They are used to hold the individual strands of wire together. It is a crimp system - basically a small tube that is squashed around the wire ends. The blue and white bits are plastic tubes that fit around the plastic insulation of the wire to keep it tidy. They're also colour coded to indicate the size of the tube - the white ones being smaller than the blue in this case. There is some standard to the colour codes but various countries have their own so it's always best to buy on cross sectional surface area of the tube and not colour.

Tony
jean_schön
I have a few questions regarding substitution of components on the new issue 4 PSU - I can get components from farnell through a disitributor but not from rapid, so i'd rather get everything from farnell.

for the 10u electrolytics, are these ok?

Can i get the much cheaper TIP35's from ST instead of Multicomp? (the ST ones have a lower hFE - 50)

Same with the TIP147, are the ST ones ok? they also have a lower hFE of 500 rather than 1000.

are these ok for the screw terminals?
Synthbuilder
jean_schön wrote:
I have a few questions regarding substitution of components on the new issue 4 PSU - I can get components from farnell through a distributor but not from rapid, so i'd rather get everything from farnell.

I think all of those should be fine.

Tony
Paradigm X
thanks
jean_schön
Synthbuilder wrote:
jean_schön wrote:
I have a few questions regarding substitution of components on the new issue 4 PSU - I can get components from farnell through a distributor but not from rapid, so i'd rather get everything from farnell.

I think all of those should be fine.

Tony

thank you!
jean_schön
Hi, I need a little help with the 3-pole connector, what pin goes to where on the screw terminal? in the build docs the pins are not numbered. i just wanted to make sure so i don't destroy anything...
Synthbuilder
jean_schön wrote:
Hi, I need a little help with the 3-pole connector, what pin goes to where on the screw terminal?

The diagram on page 22 of the Builder's Guide is the one to follow. The centre pin of the socket goes to 0V1. The other two pins go to AC1 and AC2. It does not matter which of the pins either side of the centre pin goes to AC1 so long as the other goes to AC2. The three pin socket is symmetrical with the 0V in the centre.

Also, the PA-20 power pack will have a little diagram on the top of the enclosure with the pin out. It should show that the middle pin is 0V.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1