MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Netflix Stranger things & Modular synthesizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Netflix Stranger things & Modular synthesizers
Abston
Hey guys,

I'm sure a lot of you know the famous Netflix's production "Stranger Things". I have discovered a really interesting article on SOS that deals with the guys that made the music. Looks like a lot of modular and analog stuffs have been used :

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/scoring-stranger-things
needlz
Fantastic theme song and kept me watching it. smile

Inspired me to play it on my MS20 mini
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoPAMp6Np_0&feature=youtu.be
diode_destroyer
Yea, stranger things was the thing that finally made me pull the trigger on eurorack. It's been fun. I really like how Survive as a gear list in their latest album too.
abelovesfun
Don't forget that a ton of S U R V I V E s sound is not euro.
I've seen them live and there was no modular on stage. To make the title arp all you need to do is walk up to a juno 60, hit hold, turn the arpeggio on up down, and play a C chord with an added 7th.

Welcome to modular though!
weekdayworrier
The SOS article is interesting--i didn't realize they used so much modular for the soundtrack.

To take it in a completely different direction, Reverb has a free Sounds of Stranger Things Ableton Live Pack available for download. I actually found it kind of fun to mess around with for an afternoon.
decklyn
Ya +1 Stranger Things caused me to explore analog gear. I might not be here if it weren't for that show tbh. I was always working in the box before that - it really made me take interest in the analog sounds.
jensenluxvid
Great find, Thanks! The theme is brilliant. Wish I still owned a Juno 60...
JohnLRice
Sorry for the self promotion Mr. Green (hides) but I thought some of you might enjoy this piece I did 8 years ago that has some similarities to the Stranger Things theme?

m_tortoise
Interesting you mention this, several times I've jammed on my modular while my friends are around they say it sounds like the Stranger Things intro. I later found out that it's because the arpeggio I always play is in the theme song. Kinda cool but now everyone permanently associates it with that show lol
starthief
"No Stranger Things" is the synth version of "No Stairway" hihi

(It's a pretty great soundtrack, and I like a lot of SURVIVE's other work too. But for a while it seemed like 1/3 of synth videos people were posting were covers of it... only to be briefly interrupted when Blade Runner 2048 renewed interest in THE best movie soundtrack on synths grin)
JPatts
I think the band Survive does use modular but in the main theme of Stranger Things I don't think it's used. I wouldn't be surprised if some modular has been used for the score somewhere. Here's a link to a great podcast called Song Exploder with the band members talking about that main theme:

http://songexploder.net/stranger-things

If you want to make tracks like this I would stay clear of modular and look at the Boutique Roland series and maybe some Lo-Fi delay pedals or overdrives or something to saturate the sound to give it a retro feel. Lot's of pedals can accomplish this.

Song Exploder is great for everyone interested in music in my opinion. I listen to every episode even if I don't know the artist or dislike the genre. There are also episodes from CLIPPING and NIN (Reznor & Atticus) they even mention their Folktek Illuminist Garden.
recoveryeffects
Reminds me I need to look for the new season score on vinyl!
chiasticon
awesome article. thanks for linking! huge fan of the show, music included.

if you dig Survive, you should check out Principles of Geometry. especially their first two records. not as spacey as Survive, but similar vibe vintage-synth wise. like maybe halfway between Survive and Boards of Canada...?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/291987-Principles-of-Geometry
in_sherman
nowmemories and patching don't go well togther......
ajscent
when i did a stranger things cover i swear lots of the sounds i matched came from presets from arturia , like exact sounds from the theme are within the presets within arturia which really made me think they use a lot more vsts than they are making out with all the pics of their gear.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1