MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro Sampler Rig
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Euro Sampler Rig
Sleeepwalk
So this is my first post up here. Have lurked around on the forums a while as a guest. And honestly have been a bit put off by modular synthesis as it seems really complicated lol.

Buttt...after a recent trip to perfect circuit and getting hip to a few sampler based modules I’m very much considering selling a lot of my current gear to get into eurorack.

Really like the idea of everything being self contained and the ability to reroute things into each other. Love the feel of the randomness that can happen, it’s almost like it has a life of its own.

With that said I come from a hip hop background and most of my stuff has been done “off the grid”, or unquantized I guess.

Right now I have an octatrack, digitakt and a sp-555 along with a couple of synths.

I’ve been eyeing the 4ms STS, 1010 bitbox, morphagene and the 4 bricks rook. I’d like to pair that with some delay and modulation modules but all in all I just want some advice on anyone who has a sample based rig or does more unquantized/less random stuff with a eurorack system

The four bricks room seems perfect for what I’m trying to do as far as the drum sequencing goes. Was planning on getting two of those to sequence all right tracks of the bitbox. Maybe along with like a beat step pro or something so I can have real drum pads.

But yeah I’m super excited. Right now having all this gear, which I feel is synced up pretty well, but it’s still kinda clunky and all over the place. And I hate the sample limits on the octatrack. I like to record long ambient pieces and then chop em up and “mangle” and arrange em over a drum beat

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Sorry if the post is too lengthy just wanted to give a little background on myself.
uniquepersonno2
I have an sts. It's fun, but really clunky to use. I'd probably get something different if I were buying a sampler again, but its feature set is great and it sounds fantastic, just a little complicated to use.

I'd check out the ER-301 if you're into sampling/processing as well.

I'd also say that before a certain point, euro is more limited than similarly priced gear. For me it was only when I had a larger system that flowed well that things really start to happen. The sampler modules themselves probably won't do it for a fun modular experience... Maybe a morphagene and a Quadra+expander with a cool sequencer would be good for a simple rig? More granular but definitely interesting.
2disbetter
ER-301, 1010 Bitbox, but most especially the Percussa SSP. It is however a modular inside of a modular. (which is to say that it is far more than a sampler.) It has the best hardware out of the three and can sample at a higher rate than anything else in the euro market. For all the things it can do, it's freaking cheap. (Just because trying to get all that functionality in individual modules will cost you at least double.)

However I think for what you've described, the bitbox might really be exactly what you are looking for.

2d
Montgomery Word
i came from hiphop as well.
i’ve travelled thru the modular rabbit hole a few years now, and i still sample a ton. if you want dope samplers, i suggest phonogene, morphagene, grandpa, er-301, 4ms STS. all are fun. er-301 wins by a long shot, but it takes a bit more to operate well. for non quantized drums/samples, you can’t use modular sequencers. except qu-bit tri-ger. but it’s discontinued. i use that and my digitakt to control modular often to let me sound natural and swingy. i use an endorphin shuttle control usb’d from my digitakt (slick as shit to use), but an mpc also works great.
good luck!!!! it can be done well. but- hiphop would have never happened with modular. it’s got too many options, so expect to sound like autechre haha.
bobdylan
I've been building a rack that's half sampler half synthesizer and been experimenting with smaller hp sampler modules. Some that haven't been mentioned yet are the Reflex Liveloop by SDS Digital, the Mungo G0, and the new Nebulae V2 by Qu Bit.

The Liveloop is a super idiosyncratic module with insane functionality for 16hp. It can do really rhythmic, loop based sampling as well as more chaotic sample mangling. It has a lot of similar functionality to the Morphagene actually. Splicing is a big thing with the Liveloop. It is a pretty harsh sounding module but some people would consider that a plus.

The G0 is one I've just started experimenting with and it sound beautiful. It's a super cryptic module that might be too much for some but once you get into it you'll really love the cleanliness of it. It's a granular sampler so it's not ideal for traditional sampling capabilities but it has an amazing charm and I'll say it again it sounds like nothing else. Has live and SD card playback modes although the SD card mode is insanely clunky. I almost always just use the live mode.

The Nebulae V2 isn't out yet, but it's peaked my interest hard. It's another granular sampler with live and SD card capabilities but it has an insane 5 minute buffer. Also knowing the history of the last Nebulae, the new one is sure to sound phenomenal. I'm definitely considering dropping a few modules to fund this beast. Super worth looking into IMO.

Sampling in eurorack is changing rapidly and going to insane places. I can't wait to see where it goes in the future. hyper
amop
+1 ER-301 hihi
natureclubcassettes
ER-301 and Morphagene came to mind immediately.

you will want a bunch of modulation and attenuation for both, though.
Chartreuse-J
If i were you i'd get something simple to start.

MPC-X, It has CV outs and well as sample capability

The 301 or the bitbox would work fine in conjunction with the MPC-X, but that would be long way down the road. Neither have mature well polished firmwares at the moment, IMHO.

I would worry about things like filters, sound manglers, bit crushers, phasers, Reverbs, Delays, etc, that you could run the MPC-X through and modulate from the MPC-X interface if Hip-Hop is your thing.
Sleeepwalk
Seeing a lot of love for the er-301 gotta do more research on em

Right now leaning more towards a bitbox. I just don’t really like the idea of a touch interface. But I also didn’t like the idea of touch phones when they were first released and now can’t imagine anything else really.
Sleeepwalk
Montgomery Word wrote:
i’ve travelled thru the modular rabbit hole a few years now, and i still sample a ton. if you want dope samplers, i suggest phonogene, morphagene, grandpa, er-301, 4ms STS. all are fun. er-301 wins by a long shot, but it takes a bit more to operate well. for non quantized drums/samples, you can’t use modular sequencers. except qu-bit tri-ger. but it’s discontinued. i use that and my digitakt to control modular often to let me sound natural and swingy. i use an endorphin shuttle control usb’d from my digitakt (slick as shit to use), but an mpc also works great.
good luck!!!! it can be done well. but- hiphop would have never happened with modular. it’s got too many options, so expect to sound like autechre haha.

I’ve been leaning towards keeping the digitakt to sequencer my modular. Just because of trig conditions honestly. But I was also thinking I could buy a beat step pro. Seems like it’s popular in the modular community.

Any recommendations for a elektron style modular sequencer?

With p-locking, live recording (unquantized), and trig conditions.

Or any hardware midi/cv sequencers out there that can compare to the Digitakt/BSPro?
emojiseq
Sleeepwalk wrote:
Montgomery Word wrote:

I’ve been leaning towards keeping the digitakt to sequencer my modular. Just because of trig conditions honestly. But I was also thinking I could buy a beat step pro. Seems like it’s popular in the modular community.

Any recommendations for a elektron style modular sequencer?

With p-locking, live recording (unquantized), and trig conditions.

Or any hardware midi/cv sequencers out there that can compare to the Digitakt/BSPro?

what you want is a Synthstrom Deluge, and a 1010 bitbox
dinosaurs
I honestly wouldn't bother with the 4MS STS. they ploppped that (not inexpensive) module out into the marketplace and have done little to support/enhance it via firmware updates. in fact, iirc, there has been a single firmware update released to address a really obvious bug.

beyond that, in its current form the under-the-hood UI is really illogical imo. to make changes to one channel you have to adjust the controls of the other channel, which obviously fucks up things like sample points, etc. the firmware *should* be written so that the module works like two mono channels, with all of the button/knob combo adjustments done per channel using only the controls on that channel.
strangegravity
Look a the Nebulae v2
Hi5
Four Bricks Rook definitely does non-quantized capture in the live record mode. Shakmat make my favorite modules for gate/trig sequencing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1