MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Malekko / Wiard Boogie filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Malekko / Wiard Boogie filter
ruffhux
Dearest Wigglers,

I love the sound that the Malekko / Wiard Boogie filter is doing to the Chord Organ in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRVBfEYWn_U

I cant find the Wiard Boogie filter anywhere and Im guessing its discontinued. Cant get any answer from Malekko on the subject.

What other Vactrol Ladder filters do you guys recommend?

much thanks in advance to all you lovely people smile
smurphd
I just saw one for sale on modulargrid
ruffhux
smurphd wrote:
I just saw one for sale on modulargrid

Nice one for the arrow mate - unfortunately its EU shipping only confused
southphillysynths
Yeah the boogie has been out of production a while. They do come up used here on the forum though if you keep a lookout. They really do have their own sounds I haven't heard in person though...

As far as vactrol filters you've got a ton in eurorack at least.
Doepfer 101-1 and 101-2
Koma svf-201
Animodule SOB
Malekko Dual Borg
Makenoise MMG
Pittsburgh modular dynamic impulse filter

and I'm sure there are a few more in other formats nanners
ruffhux
southphillysynths wrote:
Yeah the boogie has been out of production a while. They do come up used here on the forum though if you keep a lookout. They really do have their own sounds I haven't heard in person though...

As far as vactrol filters you've got a ton in eurorack at least.
Doepfer 101-1 and 101-2
Koma svf-201
Animodule SOB
Malekko Dual Borg
Makenoise MMG
Pittsburgh modular dynamic impulse filter

and I'm sure there are a few more in other formats nanners

Nice one for the list mate - been looking at clips on the youtubes and you're right, they all have their own character. Really wouldn't mind a Wiard Boogie so I'm gonna have to keep my eyes peeled for one!
chamomileshark
ok, I'm not on Eurorack but I do have the Frac versions of the Boogie and Borg - so if you like the Boogie sound the Borg is completely different - Borg 2 sounds more like the Korg filter and is 12db Low Pass/ Band Pass/ High Pass.

Apart from tonal differences, the Boogie with single output used would give you 24db, 18db, 12db, and 6 db low pass - so if you are listening to something with a Boogie set at 24db then it is very different. Just to add that if you then mix the outputs from a Boogie you will end up with all sorts of slopes and Hipass, Lowpass, Bandpass, plus possibly notch and all pass.
davidh
just in case, AMSynth Snowfall is not far, but probably even harder to find

chamomileshark
those AMS synth demos sound totally different - I see the blurb on it says it's like an EMS or early Roland filter with an 18db response - the Boogie to me sounds very refined and of course has the 24db option.

If the OP has heard the boogie simply in low pass 24db then something like a Moog type filter would be less of a stretch characterwise than Snowfall.
Llouwelyn
chamomileshark wrote:
Just to add that if you then mix the outputs from a Boogie you will end up with all sorts of slopes and Hipass, Lowpass, Bandpass, plus possibly notch and all pass.

How do you process to get Notch on the Borg please?
Dave Peck
To get a notch response from a LP/BP/HP filter that only has a single output jack, place a mixer after the filter and mix the filter's BP output with the pre-filter (filter input) signal. You may need to invert the filter output (if the filter's BP output isn't doing this already). This will cause the BP signal to cancel with the corresponding segment of the non-inverted audio signal in the pre-filter signal, resulting in a notch response at the mixer output. This works for any filter like this, not just the Borg.
chamomileshark
Llouwelyn wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:
Just to add that if you then mix the outputs from a Boogie you will end up with all sorts of slopes and Hipass, Lowpass, Bandpass, plus possibly notch and all pass.

How do you process to get Notch on the Borg please?

I'm guessing you mean the Boogie? I got this from the old Wiard user group

Boogie on it's own "out of the box"

1) 4 Pole Low Pass:
2) 3 Pole Low Pass:
3) 2 Pole Low Pass:
4) 1 Pole Low Pass:

With External Mixing: shows filter modes and the outputs you use and the proportions to mix them

5) 2 Pole Band Pass:
24 0%
18 0%
12 100%
06 100%

6) 2 Pole High Pass + 1 Pole Low Pass:
24 0%
18 0%
12 100%
06 50%

7) 3 Pole High Pass + 1 Pole Low Pass:
24 33%
18 100%
12 100%
06 33%

8) 4 Pole Band Pass:
24 50%
18 100%
12 50%
06 0%

9) 2 Pole Notch + 1 Pole Low Pass:
24 0%
18 100%
12 100%
06 50%

10) 3 Pole All Pass + 1 Pole Low Pass:
24 66%
18 100%
12 50%
06 17%

With External Mixing Plus C1 Switched Out: (C1 is a jumper within the module - I haven't touched mine). so I *only* have 10 possible filter types/ slopes from my Boogie

11) 1 Pole High Pass:
24 0%
18 0%
12 100%
06 100%

12) 2 Pole High Pass:
24 0%
18 0%
12 100%
06 50%

13) 3 Pole High Pass:
24 33%
18 100%
12 100%
06 33%

14) 2 Pole High Pass + 1 Pole Low Pass:
24 50%
18 100%
12 50%
06 0%

15) 2 Pole Notch:
24 0%
18 100%
12 100%
06 50 %

16) 3 Pole All Pass:
24 66%
18 100%
12 50%
06 17%

If you meant the Borg - I think that just covers 12db Low, Bandpass & Hi pass plus the intermediates. (if you gang the two in the 300 series you can also get true 12db bandpass, and the 24db low pass and high pass).
Llouwelyn
Dave Peck wrote:
You may need to invert the filter output (if the filter's BP output isn't doing this already).

Thanks, need a Phase inverter?

Quote:
="chamojmileshark"] If you meant the Borg - I think that just covers 12db Low, Bandpass & Hi pass plus the intermediates, true 12db bandpass, and the 24db low pass and high pass (if you gang the two).

Thanks,yes about Borg 300, Low pass and high pass, sure d'oh!
WaveRider
I have one, it is a nice filter but there are many good ones.... do not loose sleep over this hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1